Transit from Miami International Airport to Fort Lauderdale area

therealeastsider

I am flying into Miami International (MIA) from the UK, late November for a cruise that departs (the following day) from Fort Lauderdale (cruise port.)

Previously (two occasions) I have booked an MIA airport hotel and travelled to Fort Lauderdale on the day of the cruise embarkation, booking transit with the hotel.

On this upcoming vacation, I am thinking of booking a Fort Lauderdale hotel so that the trip (cab) to the ship is easier on embarkation day.

My concern is that I do not know what time I will need a cab (or transit) from MIA because a) the flight might be delayed and b) the vagaries of clearing US customs at MIA (from previous experience!) Obviously this would not be an issue if I stay at an MIA hotel.

So my question is: will I be able to get ad hoc transport easily from MIA (arrivals) to any Fort Lauderdale area hotel? (And by ad hoc I mean without pre-booking this service.)

Or if any seasoned cruisers with local expertise might be able to advise, I would be most grateful.

I should add that my arrival at MIA will be on a Sunday evening, with the cruise departing from FL the next day (Monday.)

Thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, mom says said:

My first thought would be Uber or Lyft. But there might be much better info in the Florida  Departures  board:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

Agreed --your suggested site is probably best.  But if OP comes back here, I would suggest he use Uber or Lyft -- there is an airport tram which would get him to the local train connection to Fort Lauderdale -- but someone getting off a flight from London should consider the easier Uber option.

Uber/Lyft will cost you about half the price of a taxi and avoid the hassles that come with shared shuttle services.  Of course you would need the apps and have an account set up on a working smartphone.  To give you an idea of the cost, we just used (last week) Lyft to get from the Port of Miami to FLL and it cost us about $35 (which included our tip).

Hank