Help with Travel Insurance

atlj

Can anyone recommend the Travel Insurance they usually use with their Carnival Cruise. I did not take the cruiselines insurance. I did go to InsureMyTrip.com but there are so many its hard to sift through them.

Any suggestions on companies would be appreciated. Thanks.

Alison

Carnival Conquest 8/1/04

icon_smile.gif

We use CSA. csatravelprotection.com

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

I am a travel agent and I always purchase Travel Guard. If you are just doing a cruise, without air, they have a new program that is a little bit cheaper and covers cancellation for any reason. You don't get cash back, but you can get a voucher for the price of the cruise. It is a really great product, from what I can tell.

If you are doing air, you should purchase their Cruise, Tour and Travel Product.

Depending on your age, the price can be better than the cruiseline insurance. When comparing insurances, you have to look at what their levels of coverage are. Even if it is cheaper, there are so many variables on the coverage front. You should do a fair comparison and see if they are first pay or secondary. Your travel agent should be able to explain the difference, or you can call the insurance company's toll-free number if you have any questions.

I would be happy to help you, if you need it.

Donna

LEGEND, May 04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;31;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sapphire Princess, Sep 04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;09;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

TOO BUSY SELLING CRUISES AND VACATIONS TO TAKE THEM. I WISH I COULD BE ON ALL THE CRUISES THAT I HAVE SOLD IN THE PAST YEAR.

Fascination, June 97

Destiny, July 98

Paradise, July (ALMOST) 00

Ecstasy, Feb 01

Destiny, Jan 02

Grand Princess, Feb 03

Zuiderdam, May 03

Serenade of the Seas, Sep 03

Legend, May 04

Sapphire Princess, Sep 04

Yo-

Go to InsureMyTrip and use the comparison check feature for three at a time-

Start with the lowest three - then with the next highest two (keeping the best from the last three)- etc

In about 5 to 10 minutes you are going to be able to see what your best "bang for the buck" is coverage wise-

Do not forget to include ALL your trip expenses (cruise, airfare, hotels and transfers)-

You should come out at about 1/2 to 2/3 of what the cruise only coverage is from either the TA or the cruise line-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Fairsea'86-Mexican Riviera

Stardancer'88-Mexican Riviera

Crown Odyssey'00-E. Med

Dream'01-W. Med

Sky'01-Hawaii

Regal'02-Alaska

Norway'02-E. Carib

Norway'03-E. Carib

Elation'03-Panama Canal

Crown'04-Canada/East Coast

Norway "Royal Suite" 07/04/04-CANCELLED!!

Carnival "Spirit" 12/11/2004 Mexican Riviera

"We have never had a BAD cruise - some were just BETTER than others"

We had Travel Guard last October on our cruise to the Mexican Rivera. DH got sick the first day out and was on oxygen for four days until they got to a port with an airport large enough to fly us home with oxygen. When I filed the claim they paid 100% of our expenses with no hassle. We elected to stay on the ship because we had a suite but if we had gotten off and stayed in a hotel or gone to a hospital there until arrangements home could be made, they would have paid those expenses,

too. We don't travel without insurance and Travel Guard came through the one time we've needed them. This time we are using CCL's insurance and I hope if we need it, it's as good.

Jody in TN

Disney Wonder, 3-01

Dawn Princess, 7-01

CCL Sensation, 11-02

HAL Statendam, 10-03

CCL Legend, 12-04

I just used Insuremytrip.com and it was a great site. TravelGuard is underwritten by AIG and it was just about half of what the agent quoted me for the cruise (TG $218 Agent $420).

Thanks for the info- my car rental insurance was $30 a day so this is a no brainer.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;07;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500Carnival Miracle

A minute from now still isnt soon enough!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrsgoofy98:

covers cancellation for any reason. You don't get cash back, but you can get a voucher for the price of the cruise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mrsgoofy98: Now I am really confused. I was told the same thing by my TA. I have the "description of coverage" from Travel Guard with me now. If you change your mind and cancel, the most they will be refunded is $250 per person, not the whole amount of the cruise.

Also, in the "trip cancellation & interruption" section is has a clause under General Exclusions section(iii)changes in plans by the insured, an immediate family member or traveling companion for any reason, are not covered. I not trying to be difficult, I just went thru the scenario with my TA. But this was the only reason I bought the insurance, not to only get $500 instead of the whole price of the cruise. My health insurance covers me, out of country so that is not an issue.

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 12/99

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrsgoofy98:

I am a travel agent and I always purchase Travel Guard. If you are just doing a cruise, without air, they have a new program that is a little bit cheaper and covers cancellation for any reason. You don't get cash back, but you can get a voucher for the price of the cruise. It is a really great product, from what I can tell.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The above is incorrect. The new Cruise Guard product does not let you cancel for any reason and get a cruise credit. The reasons for cancellation are very specific and limited. The following is from their site:

"100% reimbursement paid in cruise credits for:

Weather

Sickness due to pre-existing medical conditions of You, Your Traveling Companion or Family Member (must be purchased within 15 days of initial trip deposit.)

Termination of employment

Military Duty

Terrorism "

"100% reimbursement paid in cash for:

Bankruptcy (must be purchased within 15 days of initial trip deposit.)

Sickness (not due to a pre-existing medical condition), Accidental Injury or death of You, Your Traveling Companion, Family Member or Business Partner

You or Your Traveling Companion hijacked, quarantined, jury duty, subpoenaed, principal residence made uninhabitable

Strike"

Also, if you are making your own air arrangements you can still use this product. There is no need to purchase another plan.

Plus, the pricing is horrible for many if not most cruisers. For example, a 55 year old passenger with a $1000 cruise on a seven day Caribbean sailing would pay $119. That same passenger could get TG's Protect Assist plan for only $57. And with the PA plan you'd get full reimbursement (not ctuise credits) for having to cancel for a pre-existing medical condition.

The only ones that might come out ahead on the pricing are those in the upper age brackets. Using that same example, an 80 year old cruiser would pay $144 so there's a savings for him/her using the Cruise Guard. For everyone else, they're paying more for less coverage.

By the way, the only Travel Guard plan that does have the "cancel for any reason' provision is their most expensive Cruise, Tour and Travel plan (by "most expensive" I mean most expensive until they brought this new plan out). It's limited to $250 and you have to buy the plan within 15 days of the initial trip deposit. For that same 55 year old with the $1000 cruise the premium would be $80 vs the $57 for the TG Protect Assist plan. (still cheaper in this case than the Cruise Guard though).

We always buy the Cruise, Tour, and Travel plan from Travelguard, as the coverage is much better. That "change your mind" clause is only worth $250.00, but we did use it once. I had put down a deposit on a cruise for my youngest son and I, and bought some really cheap tickets to Miami (around $184.00 pp). We had to cancel our plans, and got the cruise deposit back with no problem. I sent our air e-ticket copies to Travelguard, and we were reimbursed in full - because each ticket was under $250.00.

we buy different insurance for different kind of trips. Here is a good site to compare.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

81: Skyward,

85: Norway

97: Seabreeze,

98: Destiny

99: Ecstasy,

99: Jubilee

00: Explorer of the Seas

01: Destiny

02: Imagination

02: Regal Empress

03: Imagination

03: Adventure of the Seas

GLORY CRUISE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;26;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

So what would you recommend to cover four 25 year olds on a cruise( $5400 total) in which we do not need air fair coverage?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;07;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500Carnival Miracle

A minute from now still isnt soon enough!!!!!

Archived