Maya Chan reopening?

Jersey42

Has anyone visited Maya Chan since they shut down for a few months?  If so, has anything changed?

Their website still had the shutdown message for several weeks after their October 12th scheduled reopening date. About a week ago a new message was posted.

"Due to the increasing and severity of our Storm Season, we will be pausing from June 1, 2023-August 31, 2023. Thank you for your understanding."  The live webcam is still not working.

I have not yet reached out to Mark at Maya Chan, but he has always been very responsive.  I figured I would check here first.

3 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Has anyone visited Maya Chan since they shut down for a few months?  If so, has anything changed?

Their website still had the shutdown message for several weeks after their October 12th scheduled reopening date. About a week ago a new message was posted.

"Due to the increasing and severity of our Storm Season, we will be pausing from June 1, 2023-August 31, 2023. Thank you for your understanding."  The live webcam is still not working.

I have not yet reached out to Mark at Maya Chan, but he has always been very responsive.  I figured I would check here first.

Yes, with difficulty according to latest blog post on their website although surprisingly no updates on what renovations were completed during shutdown

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Just bringing this up to top as I happen to know cruisers are at Maya Chan today. 

Perhaps we will get some updates on what was done?

According go their blog they tried to get pick-up within the port but that didn’t happen so I guess it is the same pick-up location as before? Transport to and from are one thing that we have had problems with on recent visits.

Edited by c-leg5

• 2 months later...

I just spoke with them and they are staying closed 6/1/2023-8/31/23.  They said that they end up cancelling and refunding more than they make due to storms 😞   We were planning on going there for our cruise in July.   Anybody have other suggestions for Costa Maya?

• Thanks 1

We were there a few weeks ago - the seaweed was awful...the water was so dirty from it that we would not go in. Personally, we thought it overpriced....we do not drink alcohol so early in the day.....Food was mediocre at best....they were trying really hard to clean up the beach but to little avail. Not recommended.

12 minutes ago, eclue said:

We were there a few weeks ago - the seaweed was awful...the water was so dirty from it that we would not go in. Personally, we thought it overpriced....we do not drink alcohol so early in the day.....Food was mediocre at best....they were trying really hard to clean up the beach but to little avail. Not recommended.

Sadly, It would appear from yours and other posts that sargassum is unusually early this year.  I presume this was your first visit to Maya Chan? Have you been to other places in Mahahual?You are usually informed at the pick-up for Maya Chan if sargassum is bad and offered a refund, or on arrival, if you decide immediately not to stay. Have they stopped allowing this option?

I am not sure it is fair to say it is overpriced considering the distance and transport is included. It would depend on what you are comparing it to? Compared to what the taxis are currently charging just to the malecon and the price the bars along the malecon are charging  for AI, unless Maya Chan has significantly increased their prices again since last year I would say they are competitive.

Now, whether you consider them value for money is subjective. I would agree that distance from the port is an issue on a short port stop, and AI is not always wanted, or required, which is why we only book occasionally. However, you know this is the only option at this venue when you decide to book it.

On 1/16/2023 at 12:15 PM, scoobysnacks70 said:

I just spoke with them and they are staying closed 6/1/2023-8/31/23.  They said that they end up cancelling and refunding more than they make due to storms 😞   We were planning on going there for our cruise in July.   Anybody have other suggestions for Costa Maya?

This is for the upcoming year and at the moment it would appear their closure is scheduled to be shorter than last year which is surprising.

The OP was asking about re-opening after last year. I haven’t seen any reports of any significant changes which seems strange considering the original message.

Edited by c-leg5

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

This is for the upcoming year and at the moment it would appear their closure is scheduled to be shorter than last year which is surprising.

The OP was asking about re-opening after last year. I haven’t seen any reports of any significant changes which seems strange considering the original message.

Sadly, It would appear from yours and other posts that sargassum is unusually early this year.  I presume this was your first visit to Maya Chan? Have you been to other places in Mahahual?You are usually informed at the pick-up for Maya Chan if sargassum is bad and offered a refund, or on arrival, if you decide immediately not to stay. Have they stopped allowing this option?

I am not sure it is fair to say it is overpriced considering the distance and transport is included. It would depend on what you are comparing it to? Compared to what the taxis are currently charging just to the malecon and the price the bars along the malecon are charging  for AI, unless Maya Chan has significantly increased their prices again since last year I would say they are competitive.

Now, whether you consider them value for money is subjective. I would agree that distance from the port is an issue on a short port stop, and AI is not always wanted, or required, which is why we only book occasionally. However, you know this is the only option at this venue when you decide to book it.

First time to Maya Chan - have been to Costa Maya many times . the beach at Mahahual is just fine and closer to the port. We will be there again in a little over a week. will just go to Mahahual.

18 minutes ago, eclue said:

First time to Maya Chan - have been to Costa Maya many times . the beach at Mahahual is just fine and closer to the port. We will be there again in a little over a week. will just go to Mahahual.

That’s fine.

We have been very disappointed in the developments at Costa Maya and Mahahual since cruising resumed. 

If you have been many times you will be aware of the ongoing sargassum problems and season. At least the malecon  has had federal funding to install off- shore baffles but when the season is really bad, many reports of it still being overwhelming there too and reports of it being bad when you were at Maya Chan . As I said it is unusual and disappointing to hear this at this time of the year.

Where is your go to place on the malecon? We are still searching for somewhere new to replace our old favorites?

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:56 PM, c-leg5 said:

I too find them to be a great value.  $59.00 per person for a full day on any beach with premium drinks and lunch (delicious last time we were there) with transportation included is my kind of beach day.  Excited to get back next year.  

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 3:20 PM, CATGUY7 said:

I too find them to be a great value.  $59.00 per person for a full day on any beach with premium drinks and lunch (delicious last time we were there) with transportation included is my kind of beach day.  Excited to get back next year.  

$69 now. Everything going up in price at this port stop.