Beyond's sunset veranda has 5 USB ports but the ones next to the bed seem like 0.5 Amps

fstuff1

I had the aft balcony.

There were 5 usb ports in my room:

- 2 in the Power box next to the mirror/desk

- 2 in the wall next to the bed

- 1 in the phone on the other side of the bed

I usually charge my phone in the power box but 1 time in the afternoon, i took a 1hr nap.

there was something i wanted to see at 4pm so i set my phone's alarm to 3:30pm and charged it in the usb port next to the bed (using the same usb cable).

When i woke up, the phone didn't charge that much.

I'm thinking the usb ports in the power box are 2Amps while the ones in the wall next to the bed are 0.5amps?

(I did not try the usb port in the phone.)

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

I'm thinking the usb ports in the power box are 2Amps while the ones in the wall next to the bed are 0.5amps?

(I did not try the usb port in the phone.)

I would agree the amps of the USB ports bedside are lower than the ones in the box. The one in the phone was useless, too underpowered to charge at all. 

Some people recommend using a "USB Data Blocker" when charging from power sources that you do not own or control. I generally use one when charging my personal phone from my work laptop.

A "charge only" usb cable should also be sufficient. The downside of a charge only cable is that you then need two cables (one for charging and one for connecting phone and laptop) and remember which is which. The data blocker is a very small box.

Personally, I just always carry a Anker USB-C Nano 30 Watt charger and cable in my backpack. Get reliable fast charges without any security concern.

I don't even carry a USB-A cable anymore, so I couldn't plug into a (possibly insecure, slow, defective) public USB-A charger anyway.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, markeb said:

how the heck?

isnt the charge only usb port connected directly to 120v ac then stepped down to 5v dc?

how do you put a virus where's there's no computer?

7 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

how the heck?

isnt the charge only usb port connected directly to 120v ac then stepped down to 5v dc?

How do you know what is behind the faceplate of the wall-socket that has outlets for mains electricity and a USB? How do you know what wonders of technology are behind the USB socket at your aeroplane seat? There are many suspicions that some East European and some Asian countries do everything they can to collect Western information. The UK press has very recent accounts of an MP's mobile phone being infected with malware.

7 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

how the heck?

How do you know there is no computer?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/picoberry-raspberry-pi-4-compute-module-4-carrier-board

That is a computer that measures 0.8 inches by 2.75 inches. It runs a variant of linux. More than capable of running software to talk to your phone.

On 11/6/2022 at 4:43 PM, someguyfl said:

How do you know there is no computer?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/picoberry-raspberry-pi-4-compute-module-4-carrier-board

That is a computer that measures 0.8 inches by 2.75 inches. It runs a variant of linux. More than capable of running software to talk to your phone.

I installed a duplex outlet with 2usb chargers at home.

No computer. 

Never thought of some hacker inserting a raspberry pi in the outlet 😮

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

I installed a duplex outlet with 2usb chargers at home.

No computer. 

Never thought of some hacker inserting a raspberry pi in the outlet 😮

In your house of course it's fine to use a USB duplex outlet ... But in a hotel, airport, cruise ship, shopping mall, etc etc ... Who knows what someone has done when you weren't looking.