Postpone cruise to a later date

geomapper

Has anyone had any luck postponing a Princess cruise to a later date? We’ve had a family emergency come up and we need to postpone our upcoming cruise scheduled the week after Thanksgiving.  I know I should have purchased insurance when I booked but it’s too late for that. Anyone have any experience postponing/delaying a cruise with Princess?

Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, geomapper said:

Has anyone had any luck postponing a Princess cruise to a later date? We’ve had a family emergency come up and we need to postpone our upcoming cruise scheduled the week after Thanksgiving.  I know I should have purchased insurance when I booked but it’s too late for that. Anyone have any experience postponing/delaying a cruise with Princess?

Thanks. 

Sorry this is happening to you! I've never seen anybody here say that this is possible.

First I am sorry about your family emergency and hope the situation resolves positively with everyone healthy. 

Without insurance the only Princess offered protection is if someone in your party tests positive for Covid within 7 days of sailing. Here’s a link to Princess’s. Policy https://www.princess.com/plan/standard-cancellation-refund-policy/

Some credit cards have travel protection included when their card is used to purchase a vacation.  It might be worth checking yours to see if any protection was automatically included by your credit card company.

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Like 1

The hazard of self-insuring a sailing is having to pay the claim.  

With the demise of Cruise with Confidence and the much more limited COVID waiver meeting the really unimpressive financial performance of Carnival Corporation, I don’t think anyone in your situation is going to get a particularly sympathetic response from Princess.  

I’m going to be a buns-hole here and suggest that a long-scheduled vacation trumps many, many family emergencies.   The dead will remain dead whether you mourn them from Topeka or Trinidad.   The living are unlikely to want you to be out Big Money as a show of symbolic support.   A sense of filial obligation to share the burden of caregiving is touching, but maybe someone covering you for a week now could be balanced by you taking on two weeks for them later.    You see my point:  barring needing to donate an organ yourself, it might be completely reasonable to take the trip you worked and paid for, and find other ways to cover obligations real and hypothesized.  

barring that, the best you can realistically expect is a refund of taxes, fees and port charges

• Like 9

1 hour ago, VibeGuy said:

barring that, the best you can realistically expect is a refund of taxes, fees and port charges

Plus 25% of the fare paid.  A cruise the week after Thanksgiving would mean this cruise would be cancelled within the 15 to 28 day prior to sailing window which has a 75% cancellation fee.  Since Book with Confidence is no more agree that the only other way they can get the rest of their money back is if the credit card they used for the booking includes trip insurance, or of course if they get Covid 7 days prior to embarkation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, geomapper said:

Has anyone had any luck postponing a Princess cruise to a later date? ..... I know I should have purchased insurance when I booked but it’s too late for that.

From the viewpoint of Princess, that is the purpose of purchasing insurance. Why would anybody buy insurance if changes such as you need could be done at no cost?

That said, it does not hurt to ask Princess.  Worst they can say is "no."

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 5:09 PM, VibeGuy said:

I’m going to be a buns-hole here and suggest that a long-scheduled vacation trumps many, many family emergencies.   The dead will remain dead whether you mourn them from Topeka or Trinidad.   The living are unlikely to want you to be out Big Money as a show of symbolic support.   A sense of filial obligation to share the burden of caregiving is touching, but maybe someone covering you for a week now could be balanced by you taking on two weeks for them later.    You see my point:  barring needing to donate an organ yourself, it might be completely reasonable to take the trip you worked and paid for, and find other ways to cover obligations real and hypothesized.  

Some family emergencies can manage without you for a week,  if there are others who can reasonably help.  Sometimes the family members of my nursing home patients go away on trips,  and I tell them that it's OK.  On the other hand,  we had to cancel a cruise because our 12 year old was diagnosed with cancer. No cruise for a year and a half.   Only you know what is right.  If you have a compelling reason and ask to reschedule rather than cancel,  they might be willing to work with you. 

• Like 2