Later boarding Southampton?

LadyL1

5 minutes ago, Ferretworld said:

We are are also going on QV later this month (Britannia class) and have an arrival time of 15:30 with last boarding at 16:00 which seems rather tight. Also seems very late - no chance to get afternoon tea on arrival.

There isn’t tea on the first day. I bet you’ll sail through the terminal, not pausing for breath if you arrive then. But I must say I would arrive a little earlier.

17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

There isn’t tea on the first day. I bet you’ll sail through the terminal, not pausing for breath if you arrive then. But I must say I would arrive a little earlier.

I think we probable will arrive a bit earlier - 3:30 seems really late! (And I do need my scones and tea apparently).

5 minutes ago, Ferretworld said:

Afternoon tea is available in the main dining room which in my opinion is the perfect start to a cruise.

Not any longer. You are referring to mid 2021 when Cunard reintroduce itineraries ( post pandemic)  on Queen Elizabeth.

The Lido has now reopened for Lunch on embarkation day until 3pm

Grills restaurants open for lunch for suite guests  .

11 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Not any longer. You are referring to mid 2021 when Cunard reintroduce itineraries ( post pandemic)  on Queen Elizabeth.

The Lido has now reopened for Lunch on embarkation day until 3pm

Grills restaurants open for lunch for suite guests  .

Well that's disappointing!  Last time we went on Cunard was Sept 21 so I didnt realize it had been discontinued since then! ....and I wont even board in time for lunch!

9 minutes ago, Ferretworld said:

Well that's disappointing!  Last time we went on Cunard was Sept 21 so I didnt realize it had been discontinued since then! ....and I wont even board in time for lunch!

The afternoon tea in the 'restaurant on embarkation day' was only intended as a limited concept and part of the 'social distancing procedures'

The Lido & Grill restaurants have now reopened for lunch  and offer something more substantial.  

On 11/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, BigMac1953 said:

Last month, our boarding time was 12:15. We were slightly early but already there was a couple of dozen pax ahead in the QG pen.

We had to sit until 1:00pm, and when we asked why there was such a delay, we were told it's a new rule from the Port Authority. Not sure if that's true or not.

We are due to embark in Brooklyn in 2 1/2 weeks and have been given a 12:15p check-in time.  Thanks for the heads up on the wait to 1p for security processing.  I am assuming that it’s probably still better to arrive at 12:15 vs closer to 1p, correct?  Do they first call Grills and other priority groups through security or or it come one come all when 1p rolls around?

Just now, exlondoner said:

Perhaps they assume you have had lunch before getting to the terminal?

I’m sure they do, but the friends I’m travelling with are experienced cruisers who’ve never been given such a late time before and so we’d assumed we’d be on board for lunch (yes I know what they say about assumptions!)

11 hours ago, RedMeerkat said:

Not very useful for those of us who’ve been given a 3.45 pm boarding time…

Although  the Lido 'lunch' will be closing down , there is always something available in the way of a light snack .

I understand that Room Service commences shortly after 3pm on embarkation days ( Southampton & Brooklyn) 

Just as an additional point of reference - we just checked in for the December 10 Christmas Markets (round trip from Southampton) and were given a boarding time of 1:00 PM for PG. Boarding pass and My Cunard online agree on the time.

Of course, since our hotel (Holiday Inn) check-out time is noon, we may be a bit early arriving at the terminal.

Edited by ExArkie

48 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Just as an additional point of reference - we just checked in for the December 10 Christmas Markets (round trip from Southampton) and were given a boarding time of 1:00 PM for PG. Boarding pass and My Cunard online agree on the time.

Of course, since our hotel (Holiday Inn) check-out time is noon, we may be a bit early arriving at the terminal.

I don't want to correct you, but the boarding Pass only indicates the 'Arrival Time'  for your/our Check-in, it's not necessarily the time we will embark .

This is where there is a lot of confusion with 'ARRIVAL TIME  and the time we eventually proceed through security and embarkation . 

19 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I don't want to correct you, but the boarding Pass only indicates the 'Arrival Time'  for your/our Check-in, it's not necessarily the time we will embark .

This is where there is a lot of confusion with 'ARRIVAL TIME  and the time we eventually proceed through security and embarkation . 

Correct, but must arrive before one embarks. 

We have never had a late boarding time  at Southampton  before , always arrived around the right time and on board very quickly (noon’ish) never had to sit and wait .

First time with Cunard so not familiar with their terminal.Have an ‘arrival’ time of 3pm .We will check out of our hotel at  noon  just outside Southampton .We don’t really want to leave our car loaded with luggage in a city car park so intend driving to the terminal and waiting there.What are  the facilities like? Is it similar to an airport re  seating, refreshments etc or more basic? …Tia😀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, baw53 said:

Is it similar to an airport re  seating, refreshments etc or more basic?

I've only ever sailed out of the Ocean Terminal (there are two primarily used by Cunard in Southampton). We're usually through the terminal so quickly that I've never noticed any amenities (food stand, reading material kiosk, etc.) It's mostly just a cavernous waiting room. I'm sure someone will chime in if I've just been unobservant.

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

I've only ever sailed out of the Ocean Terminal (there are two primarily used by Cunard in Southampton). We're usually through the terminal so quickly that I've never noticed any amenities (food stand, reading material kiosk, etc.) It's mostly just a cavernous waiting room. I'm sure someone will chime in if I've just been unobservant.

For the rest of this year it appears the Cunard ships are using the Mayflower Terminal. We will be boarding there next week and also returning to the same. I have not used this one post pandemic and cannot remember if there are any facilities there.

Perhaps for our own comfort we should arrive as near as possible to given time, after all staggered arrivals makes for more speed and comfort, and probably safety as Covid has not gone away.

On 11/19/2022 at 7:49 PM, techteach said:

Why not call these actions as they are: Arrival time (time you should get to the pier), Boarding time (time you will walk the plank), Embarkation time (time we plan to raise the anchor and throw the lines).

I believe that "embarkation" refers to getting passengers on board and in their cabins. "Departure time" would be the ship leaving the dock. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

Perhaps for our own comfort we should arrive as near as possible to given time, after all staggered arrivals makes for more speed and comfort, and probably safety as Covid has not gone away.

I’m sure your right, but when my arrival time (1545) is 15 minutes before the quoted “final boarding time” of 1600, I’m not happy leaving it that late!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RedMeerkat said:

I’m sure your right, but when my arrival time (1545) is 15 minutes before the quoted “final boarding time” of 1600, I’m not happy leaving it that late!

But the ship will not sail without you once you are already in the Terminal building .

If there are still some people checking -in  , then the ship will depart later.  

• Like 1

Hmm, I'd like to continue to know how these recent embarkations out of Southampton are turning out. I'm set to embark on the 11th of December, on QV, from the Mayflower Terminal and have a check-in time of 3:45, which is the latest time I have ever been given. I'm a Diamond, although the wife and kids are not. I wonder if we will be permitted to board earlier because of the World Club status.

Edited by CunarderRon