2024 Outlook for Asia

cleobella

We have put a deposit on a cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore Feb 2024. However, reading all the info about COVID obstacles, comments about long treks to see the sights in many Vietnamese and Thai industrial type ports, the cost of having to do overnight excursions, and hearing that  Asia travel is really pretty much shut down in 2023 has me questioning if we really want to do this. It would be an expensive trip, with long flights long flights and now Im wondering if maybe 2024 is still too early to be aiming for? Any thoughts? Is it worthwhile tying up my deposit money on this 2024 plan?

Just got off the Constellation and we booked Solstice Jan 2024 Singapore-Hong Kong. Booking onboard, we only had to put up $100/pp so even if we cancel, we are only out $200.

I will be keeping an eye on the obstacles. I have not heard anything about Singapore.

• Like 1

While I feel good about Asia, in terms of reopening after the Covid shutdown, I would not even consider making any plans to travel to China (including Hong Kong) in the next few years.  While DW and I have enjoyed our trips to China and Hong Kong, the current Chinese government has made it clear that they could care less about tourism and the tourist industry.   Their "Zero Covid" policy, besides being absolutely absurd, means that tourists/cruisers could find themselves trapped inside China just on a whim.  If you happen to be in a part of China when the government decides to lock down that part of the country, you are truly trapped for an unknown period of time.   We are talking about a government that has no problem locking down Disneyland, for a single case of Covid, while it still has visitors inside the grounds  This is a government that will shut down an entire part of their country for a handful of COVID cases.  

I suspect that at some future time, the Chinese government will announce some kind of new policy to guarantee that tourists will not be trapped in China.  As of now, I would no sooner visit China than North Korea!   Until China gets over its "Covid Phobia" it is a place to be avoided.

Hank

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on a Dec 2023-Jan 2024 Singapore to Hong Kong.  It has been lifted/shifted 3 times.  My guess is that this cruise will be a go although the itinerary may be radically changed to eliminate Hong Kong,.

21 hours ago, mahdnc said:

We are booked on a Dec 2023-Jan 2024 Singapore to Hong Kong.  It has been lifted/shifted 3 times.  My guess is that this cruise will be a go although the itinerary may be radically changed to eliminate Hong Kong,.

I'm ok if it's just Singapore round trip. Easier to plan.

• Like 1

Just got an email from Regent that our RT Hong Kong cruise for Nov 2023 is now cancelled. 

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner:

In light of the uncertainty around China ports we have had to modify the course of a number of 2023 voyages aboard Seven Seas Explorer to allow an unrivaled experience of the incredible region of South-East Asia.

To accommodate this, we regret to inform you that your 10-night Pristine Islands & Filipino Culture voyage departing on November 10, 2023, has been canceled.

We recognize this news will cause disappointment and we want to provide flexibility for you to decide how to proceed with your travel plans.

3 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

Just got an email from Regent that our RT Hong Kong cruise for Nov 2023 is now cancelled. 

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner:

In light of the uncertainty around China ports we have had to modify the course of a number of 2023 voyages aboard Seven Seas Explorer to allow an unrivaled experience of the incredible region of South-East Asia.

To accommodate this, we regret to inform you that your 10-night Pristine Islands & Filipino Culture voyage departing on November 10, 2023, has been canceled.

We recognize this news will cause disappointment and we want to provide flexibility for you to decide how to proceed with your travel plans.

OH BOY! I'm not liking this. We sail Jan 2024 Singapore-Hong Kong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLCruiser97 said:

As I previously posted, I'm OK with eliminating HK and doing Singapore RT. Will be cheaper on air fare also.

I'm ok with it, too, but I really wanted to see Hong Kong.  On the other hand I would rather get our thrice cancelled cruise finally done.

• Like 1