Talk to me about staying on the ship at port

lesliejaykat

20 hours ago, Oletruckdude said:

It all depends on your lifestyle speed. When we were younger we had to get off at every port and do everything we could fit in the time allotted.

These days (we're in our 60s) we enjoy staying on the ship in ports we've been to dozens of times (Nassau). While everyone is off exploring on land we enjoy short/no lines, and a much calmer laid back vibe on the ship. My wife and I both enjoy reading our Nooks and enjoying the breeze on deck in a cool shady spot.

ABSOLUTELY!!   We've been on about 20 cruises, most to the Caribbean.  We've seen a lot on the islands, but the best view on everyone of these places is on an upper deck overlooking the harbor.   Watching the boats, the birds, the waves, and the people on board are simply ---peaceful.   Now that my wife uses a walker, many of the excursions are off limits, but sitting in the hot tub (often times empty) on the serenity deck while you sip a cool drink as the ships come in and leave for the day is one of the things I look forward to the most.

• Like 2

We usually get off the ship in port but have stayed onboard a couple of times - one or two times when in Nassau and another in Grand Cayman. I have to say, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Lido and Serenity were virtually empty. You could actually be IN the pool without having people right on top of you. You could use the waterslides and such without waiting in lines. Same with all of the food options. I don't recall specific activities like trivia and stuff cause that's just not stuff that we seek out typically. 

And one of the best benefits is that usually you can get decent port day specials for spa services. I got a great deal on a massage one port day. It was great - I had a leisurely lunch then headed to the spa for my massage and when I came back, I was so relaxed, and it just really seemed to reinvigorate me for the last day of our trip! 

I don't make a point to stay on the ship but when we do, we have always enjoyed our day!

We got a killer deal on the Panorama and 2 stops are Mazatlan  and Puerto Vallarta. Been to both for land vacations, no real reason to want to visit so going to stay on the ship. We have a therma spa pass for the week and going to take advantage of that and the pools. Really looking forward to those 2 days!!  Haven’t been to Cabo so do have an excursion booked there. 

• Like 1

I have found myself looking at MSC cruises to hit up some other Caribbean ports that Carnival does not offer anymore, Tortola, St Vincent, Virgin Gorda etc. That said, I booked the Celebration to enjoy the ship on port days and not the itinerary as Amber Cove and San Juan don't do it for me. 

Port days are great for an "empty" ship and you have no rush to be anywhere!

• Like 1