Add-ons sailing on MSC

choochella

So, without noting pricing, I have seen where the base price for an MSC cruise is extremely lower than other mainstream lines. So, with that said, there must be additional items that are not included in the base fare. I’m aware of perks from other lines, such as free drink pkg, gratuities and Wifi. But, beyond those, it still seems as though the MSC fare is less expensive. What’s the catch?

Just now, choochella said:

So, without noting pricing, I have seen where the base price for an MSC cruise is extremely lower than other mainstream lines. So, with that said, there must be additional items that are not included in the base fare. I’m aware of perks from other lines, such as free drink pkg, gratuities and Wifi. But, beyond those, it still seems as though the MSC fare is less expensive. What’s the catch?

You've already identified many of the 'catches'.  Pretty tough to compare price/cost without knowing what is included.

57 minutes ago, choochella said:

But, beyond those, it still seems as though the MSC fare is less expensive. What’s the catch?

No, MSC is just cheaper. I guess the main reason is that it is a family owned business and not a stock market company. And probably it is not a disadvantage that it's mother company is one of the largest shipping companies in the world (still family owned). 

• Like 2

No catch. The lower fares are primarily due to supply / demand and MSC trying to compete with better known cruise lines.  The lowest base fare will still include your cabin, food (dining room & buffet), shows in the theater & lounges, access to the pools, hot tubs, etc. Unless part of a “free” package, drinks, wifi, specialty restaurants, spa treatments, excursions and gratuities are extra (as on most mainstream cruise lines). The Bella fare does not allow you to choose your cabin, just the type - inside, Oceanview or balcony. All fares above that - Fantastica, Aurea and Yacht Club all let you choose a specific cabin.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2

Pretty much all has been said; let me just to stress out that MSC is perhaps the cheapest out of the mainstream market in the US where their passenger base is smaller and they want to compete, even if at default for quite a while. I can't say the same for here in Europe where, price wise MSC is now quoting very well on the average-to-top of the mainstream target point, unless you can snag a special promo, a last minute deal, a special cruise of some sort, a small charter partnership or if it is on an older ship. All those instances still exist, but they're becoming rare as times go by...