Can you cancel the last leg on your flight?

julig22

For my upcoming cruise, I have a layover at LAX.  I have family in the area so I've thought about extending my trip for a couple of days. I know I can be a no-show but is there a way to get my luggage routed so I can pick it up at LAX, not the final destination?

Kinda afraid to call NCL and even ask because even if they agree they might get it wrong and cancel the entire reservation - ouch.

FYI - I have it on good authority that NCL is working on revamping the air-reservations department, with new management - so hopefully some logic will prevail in the days to come!

Unfortunately, it's after the second leg so I'll have already cleared customs and rechecked luggage before the flight to LAX.  Would be pretty simple if it was the first US stop but it's not.

And too much for carryon...

Edited by julig22

25 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

The Option I know   go to the doc at the airport and Tell them you  are vomiting all the time. 

He will declare: you are not able to fly....

Nobody needs a doctor's order to miss a connection.  I believe that the luggage is the main concern.

13 minutes ago, hallux said:

I wonder if you can have NCL book your return flight to a different airport than you left from.  That would avoid all of the confusion.  That request would need to be made prior to 75 days before departure though.

Yes, NCL will book a return to a different gateway but it has to be requested during the initial booking. 75 days is too late. Done it before but I've already got my flight info for this trip.  In this case, certain people couldn't make up their minds or plan that far in advance!!!

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Nobody needs a doctor's order to miss a connection.  I believe that the luggage is the main concern.

Within Europe luggage is not able to fly without the owner...therefore not able to fly - unloaded luggage

You should just have them book you to LAX and then book your own flight back home after you visit your family.  Deliberately missing a connecting flight (sometimes called "Hidden City Ticketing" or "point beyond ticketing") can end up getting you banned by the airline for any future flights you'd like to book with them.  Here's an example of what some people will do:  You want to fly from New York to Chicago.  That flight costs, say, $1,000.00   But another flight goes from New York to Denver with a stop and connection in Chicago and it costs $800.  So, people will book the cheaper flight and then not make the connecting flight in Chicago.  Airlines don't like it.  If you do this on the first leg of a round trip ticket, they will cancel all the remaining flights on the round trip ticket.  I knew someone who unintentionally missed a connecting flight due to some issue outside of everyone's control and the airline canceled the entire rest of her trip.  She eventually convinced them it wasn't on purpose.  Deliberately not showing for a flight violates the airline contract the passenger has.  I think it is wiser to tell the airline that you can't make the flight rather than simply deliberately missing it and not telling them anything.  Just my thoughts -- YMMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Yes, NCL will book a return to a different gateway but it has to be requested during the initial booking. 75 days is too late. Done it before but I've already got my flight info for this trip.  In this case, certain people couldn't make up their minds or plan that far in advance!!!

Here's the approach I would use.

1. Try working with the airline when you initially check your luggage.  Ask if they can re-route your bags because you changed your plans and are staying in LA after that leg.  With luck, perhaps they will let you do that.....

IF THAT DOESN'T WORK,

2. Check your luggage to your final destination, BUT bring another carry-on sized piece of luggage that you can use for your short LA stay.  Your other luggage will arrive at your final destination and get held at that airlines baggage claim office until you arrive home a couple of days later.

I guess that does depend upon your comfort level that your luggage will be fine for a couple of days, but you can always call the airline after it arrives and tell them you got delayed and stuck in LA on emergency and will not get home for another couple of days.  

23 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

You should just have them book you to LAX and then book your own flight back home after you visit your family.  Deliberately missing a connecting flight (sometimes called "Hidden City Ticketing" or "point beyond ticketing") can end up getting you banned by the airline for any future flights you'd like to book with them.  Here's an example of what some people will do:  You want to fly from New York to Chicago.  That flight costs, say, $1,000.00   But another flight goes from New York to Denver with a stop and connection in Chicago and it costs $800.  So, people will book the cheaper flight and then not make the connecting flight in Chicago.  Airlines don't like it.  If you do this on the first leg of a round trip ticket, they will cancel all the remaining flights on the round trip ticket.  I knew someone who unintentionally missed a connecting flight due to some issue outside of everyone's control and the airline canceled the entire rest of her trip.  She eventually convinced them it wasn't on purpose.  Deliberately not showing for a flight violates the airline contract the passenger has.  I think it is wiser to tell the airline that you can't make the flight rather than simply deliberately missing it and not telling them anything.  Just my thoughts -- YMMV.

I have no problem telling the airline, was just asking if it's possible to do on the last leg. Flights are already booked, NCL won't rebook at this point.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hallux said:

We are, and technically the US has the same policy.

So here's where we're at.  Get off the plane.  Find the "airport doctor" (is there such a thing?).  Get the doctor's order to not fly on the connecting flight.  Give it to the airline.  They somehow "find" the luggage, set it aside and the passenger then claims it.  What did I miss?  Unless the layover is three plus hours, it ain't going to happen.