Panama Canal time zone changes?

vegasdriven

Ok, I may be a little anal with my trip planning, but really what else is there to do when you’re waiting for it to begin!

My question is can anyone help me with when the time changes happen during a Panama Canal cruise?   Do they happen when at sea or days when you arrive in port?

We are on this years holiday cruise sailing Miami to LA, which is great for us as we live on the west coast.

Time changes have always happened at night. In the Canal, the middle of the ocean or from port to port the clocks are reset at night either ahead or back to match the time zone for the next day..

Panama is still EST so no time changes before going through canal.  Puntarenas is Central time so probably gain an hour night of 25th but might be 26th.  Cabo San Lucas is MST so will gain an hour either on New Year's Eve or 1 January.  Ensenada is PST so add an hour night of 2nd or 3rd.  Usually would be first night of each option but given the holidays I don't know what the ship will do but I think they will do first night (Christmas night and New Year's Eve) but truly up to the ship.

See you onboard!

Marc

It is up to the Captain (and probably CD) when to change times.  Our experience has been that this will be done on nights before sea days.  I suggest not over thinking this too much or you might think the time has changed when it hasn't.  On the nights the time will change your attendant will place a note on your pillow when they turn the bed down.  If you are ever in doubt as to the time, a channel on the TV will give the ship's time.  The ship's time is gospel.