Help Me With Some 1st Timer Questions, Please

Steeler Nation At Sea

Hated to do another MSC 1st timer post, but, search wasn't efficiently giving me good information. Or, maybe I wasn't efficiently searching.

Booked the Seashore Westbound TA online for next October.  I've had my eye on various MSC sailings - and this board - since 2019, but, this is the first time I took the plunge. I had done my status match (Gold) a year or so ago so was ready to go ahead and book.

1)  I didn't see the daily service charge mentioned.  How much is it and can it be pre-paid by calling?

2)  I just missed the Voyager Experience double points for booking more than a year out, but, am I right to expect $50 OBC to be showing on my confirmation for booking inside of 9 -12 months?  When is it added? Pretty sure I did get a 5% plus 5% discount, so I'm good there.  Do they ever run double points promos inside of 12 months?

3) I booked with a free drinks/wifi offer.  I see the Easy+ in my confirmation.   On the day I booked and after I got my confirmation, there was an option in the planning section for a Premium package upgrade.  It is no longer there.  Will it come back or must I pay the non discounted price and upgrade this on board? 

4 ) This is the exasperating one.  Bear with me.  I expected to be offered a dining package during booking.  That didn't happen.  In the planning section under dining experiences, it simply says item not available, however, if I do a mock booking today, I am offered the Trilogy package.  I spoke to 3 different people at MSC so far and the only answer to this is "it's not available for my booking" despite it clearly still being available for the cruise.  Why would this be?  I'm trying to spend more $ and they won't let me!  Same with #3.  Any ideas on my options here?  Or, again, must I buy without the pre-cruise discount once on board?  What are a la carte prices like in the specialties? Is the limited menu dining experience package even worth it?

5)  No spa thermal suite pass is listed.  Am I just too early or will they "get me" for a non discounted pass?

5)  Conflicting info in various places on Fantastica room service free delivery.  Is it breakfast only or 24 hours?  

6) How does one transfer booking to a TA?  Is there a request form?

7)  Saw some new dinner menus with a Sommelier Suggestion section included.  No wines at $8 or under.  Saw a list from 2021 of Easy+ included wines and there was basically only Asti Spumante, a Riesling and a Moscato. No reds.  Please tell me this isn't true and if you have an included wine list for Easy+ with reds and dry whites, please share! Other threads here have usually said Easy+ was good enough.  At least, from what I can remember.

😎 I'm looking at booking a side by side ahead of this cruise.  The port is Civitavecchia.  Does MSC assist with moving the bags pier to pier?  I can't really recall the layout of this port, but, did schlep my own bag in from the train station  once, so I'm hoping it can't be too bad.

Thanks in advance for the wealth of good info I know I'll get here.  Any other tips and tricks for first time MSC are welcome, too. 

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

42 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

7)  Saw some new dinner menus with a Sommelier Suggestion section included.  No wines at $8 or under.  Saw a list from 2021 of Easy+ included wines and there was basically only Asti Spumante, a Riesling and a Moscato. No reds.  Please tell me this isn't true and if you have an included wine list for Easy+ with reds and dry whites, please share! Other threads here have usually said Easy+ was good enough.  At least, from what I can remember.

Are you mixing up a Caribbean and Mediterranean cruise? There will be lots of wines available for easy plus. From the Sommelier Suggestion as well as from the normal wine list. Expect 2 rose, 6 reds, 6 whites. Asti and prosecco also. And of cause also the easy wines (not recommended).

MSC will not assist with moving the bags pier to pier, but this is no problem at all in Civita.

Most have to pay the daily service charge in advance with the cruise price, some (mainly or only US bookings) still get it charged every day to their account.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Hated to do another MSC 1st timer post, but, search wasn't efficiently giving me good information. Or, maybe I wasn't efficiently searching.

Booked the Seashore Westbound TA online for next October.  I've had my eye on various MSC sailings - and this board - since 2019, but, this is the first time I took the plunge. I had done my status match (Gold) a year or so ago so was ready to go ahead and book.

1)  I didn't see the daily service charge mentioned.  How much is it and can it be pre-paid by calling?

2)  I just missed the Voyager Experience double points for booking more than a year out, but, am I right to expect $50 OBC to be showing on my confirmation for booking inside of 9 -12 months?  When is it added? Pretty sure I did get a 5% plus 5% discount, so I'm good there.  Do they ever run double points promos inside of 12 months?

3) I booked with a free drinks/wifi offer.  I see the Easy+ in my confirmation.   On the day I booked and after I got my confirmation, there was an option in the planning section for a Premium package upgrade.  It is no longer there.  Will it come back or must I pay the non discounted price and upgrade this on board? 

4 ) This is the exasperating one.  Bear with me.  I expected to be offered a dining package during booking.  That didn't happen.  In the planning section under dining experiences, it simply says item not available, however, if I do a mock booking today, I am offered the Trilogy package.  I spoke to 3 different people at MSC so far and the only answer to this is "it's not available for my booking" despite it clearly still being available for the cruise.  Why would this be?  I'm trying to spend more $ and they won't let me!  Same with #3.  Any ideas on my options here?  Or, again, must I buy without the pre-cruise discount once on board?  What are a la carte prices like in the specialties? Is the limited menu dining experience package even worth it?

5)  No spa thermal suite pass is listed.  Am I just too early or will they "get me" for a non discounted pass?

5)  Conflicting info in various places on Fantastica room service free delivery.  Is it breakfast only or 24 hours?  

6) How does one transfer booking to a TA?  Is there a request form?

😎 I'm looking at booking a side by side ahead of this cruise.  The port is Civitavecchia.  Does MSC assist with moving the bags pier to pier?  I can't really recall the layout of this port, but, did schlep my own bag in from the train station  once, so I'm hoping it can't be too bad.

Thanks in advance for the wealth of good info I know I'll get here.  Any other tips and tricks for first time MSC are welcome, too. 

I will try to answer some of these questions, but first understand that MSC has perhaps the worst customer service of any cruise line. A very good strategy for dealing with them is HUCA - Hang Up Call Again. What one rep refuses to do, another will do easily. It's maddening.

1) Here is a link to gratuities: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/service-charges

2) Yes, but it is not uncommon for them to "forget" to add this. You'll have to call...and possibly HUCA. I currently have a booking I made and still don't have the $50.

2a) Any promos they add are unlikely to be applied to your current booking. You almost always have to cancel and rebook. That being said, HUCA can sometimes accomplish this.

3) Unsure about this...I would try calling.

4) I would call and ask to speak to a supervisor. It will be the person sitting next to the person you called, but hopefully they will be a little more knowledgeable and be able to help you. You can also try waiting a month and see what happens.

5a) Unsure about this

5b) There is a lot of confusion around the room service. I believe currently Fantastica waives the room service fee. You still have to pay for any items on the menu that aren't free, though.

6) It's a manual process. You need to fill out  a form and send it to them. 

7) Not sure

8) Don't know about side to side

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

Are you mixing up a Caribbean and Mediterranean cruise? There will be lots of wines available for easy plus. From the Sommelier Suggestion as well as from the normal wine list. Expect 2 rose, 6 reds, 6 whites. Asti and prosecco also. And of cause also the easy wines (not recommended).

MSC will not assist with moving the bags pier to pier, but this is no problem at all in Civita.

Most have to pay the daily service charge in advance with the cruise price, some (mainly or only US bookings) still get it charged every day to their account.

OP booked a TA, westbound. So I assume the S2S will be prior to the TA and then they will get on the TA.

1 hour ago, perakcruiser said:

Are you mixing up a Caribbean and Mediterranean cruise?

Do you mean the menus that I saw?  Don't recall where the drink list was from.  The menus were Caribbean, I think.

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

OP booked a TA, westbound. So I assume the S2S will be prior to the TA and then they will get on the TA.

Yes, Alyssamma, that's correct.

Thank you both for the responses.

2 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

1)  I didn't see the daily service charge mentioned.  How much is it and can it be pre-paid by calling? - Depending on your origin market it may or not be bundled on your cruise fare. Don't know the exact value, once here where I live it is now always bundled on the cruise fare.

2)  I just missed the Voyager Experience double points for booking more than a year out, but, am I right to expect $50 OBC to be showing on my confirmation for booking inside of 9 -12 months?  When is it added? Pretty sure I did get a 5% plus 5% discount, so I'm good there.  Do they ever run double points promos inside of 12 months? - I'm not sure about current Voyagers Clubes terms and conditions. I know that any promos they use to make with different features/perks are usually valid for new bookings only, so, if a good one appears and it interests you, you'll need to cancel and rebook. Some agents might to be better than others on helping you with this.

3) I booked with a free drinks/wifi offer.  I see the Easy+ in my confirmation.   On the day I booked and after I got my confirmation, there was an option in the planning section for a Premium package upgrade.  It is no longer there.  Will it come back or must I pay the non discounted price and upgrade this on board? - They might have had a discounted fare for upgrades before booking. Now it would to be mostly the regular upgrade price. You may be able to upgrade by calling them and save the 15% service charge they'll add onboard plus Italian VAT.

4 ) This is the exasperating one.  Bear with me.  I expected to be offered a dining package during booking.  That didn't happen.  In the planning section under dining experiences, it simply says item not available, however, if I do a mock booking today, I am offered the Trilogy package.  I spoke to 3 different people at MSC so far and the only answer to this is "it's not available for my booking" despite it clearly still being available for the cruise.  Why would this be?  I'm trying to spend more $ and they won't let me!  Same with #3.  Any ideas on my options here?  Or, again, must I buy without the pre-cruise discount once on board?  What are a la carte prices like in the specialties? Is the limited menu dining experience package even worth it? - Perhaps it is too early for ever done bookings to add that item. Special promos with more perks can come by the day though. Things are ever changing. Try to call them later in time. Such an year to solve it already!...

5)  No spa thermal suite pass is listed.  Am I just too early or will they "get me" for a non discounted pass? - Likely too early for such items.

5)  Conflicting info in various places on Fantastica room service free delivery.  Is it breakfast only or 24 hours?  - 24 hours, but you'll pay for the a la carte items described on the menu.

6) How does one transfer booking to a TA?  Is there a request form? - Don't know.

7)  Saw some new dinner menus with a Sommelier Suggestion section included.  No wines at $8 or under.  Saw a list from 2021 of Easy+ included wines and there was basically only Asti Spumante, a Riesling and a Moscato. No reds.  Please tell me this isn't true and if you have an included wine list for Easy+ with reds and dry whites, please share! Other threads here have usually said Easy+ was good enough.  At least, from what I can remember. - Transatlantic crossings usually have different approaches to what is available. They're ending a season and starting a new one. They'll offer you mostly what they have available on the European sailings at the time, so difficult to say what availability will be. Bear in mind that items from trademarks they may have in Europe unsupported in the US sailings may have a limited offering. If your reasoning for exchanging the E+ for Premium package is only wine; perhaps better to reconsider. Some of the better wines may end up being unavailable in a couple of days if their trademark is not supported on the US sailings.

😎 I'm looking at booking a side by side ahead of this cruise.  The port is Civitavecchia.  Does MSC assist with moving the bags pier to pier?  I can't really recall the layout of this port, but, did schlep my own bag in from the train station  once, so I'm hoping it can't be too bad. - No assistance as far as I know. And if you finish a "domestic" EU cruise and start a transatlantic in same day, you'll have to pass immigration, so be prepared for sort of a long day in port. Sometimes Italian ports get sort of on the chaotic side of the pond. Either way, passed that process all will be good!...

Thanks in advance for the wealth of good info I know I'll get here.  Any other tips and tricks for first time MSC are welcome, too. - You're welcome!... And have a nice day!...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nunagoras said:

If your reasoning for exchanging the E+ for Premium package is only wine; perhaps better to reconsider. Some of the better wines may end up being unavailable in a couple of days if their trademark is not supported on the US sailings.

An excellent point.  I am no stranger to wine shortages on TA's.  I promise, I had nothing to do with them. 😇

Does MSC allow you to carry on any wine for the stateroom?  My preferred line allows 2 bottles.

1 hour ago, mawvkysc said:

This was the list that I saw and I still see no $8 reds here, unfortunately.  I missed the Bering White Zin.  Probably, subconsciously passed it over? 😇

Thank you both for your responses.

7 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

was the list that I saw and I still see no $8 reds here, unfortunately.  I missed the Bering White Zin.  Probably, subconsciously passed it over? 

This is the Divina wine list, the wines and prices have nothing to do with MSC in Europe. I don't know if MSC used the ugly Dollar list or the happy Euro list on the TA, but I am sure a solution can be found on board 😉

But there is no us wine available with easy plus in Europe, the only us option, "woodbridge by Robert M." is 8.50 euro.

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

An excellent point.  I am no stranger to wine shortages on TA's.  I promise, I had nothing to do with them. 😇

Does MSC allow you to carry on any wine for the stateroom?  My preferred line allows 2 bottles. - Officially no... But happily your cruise starts in Italy, so here is the pro tip: Once you pass security in Civitavecchia, you'll see some souvenir and duty free shops. One of them will sell some, mostly Italian wine which may be a bit more expensive than at street stores, but cheaper than in ship ones and with perhaps larger availability and different trademarks. You can purchase a set number of bottles and carry them all to the ship with no problems. Cruise lines rely on port authorities here, so they'll to close their eyes on those purchases, granted your bottles have the port's authorities stamp on them, or you have other proof of them as originated there.

This was the list that I saw and I still see no $8 reds here, unfortunately.  I missed the Bering White Zin.  Probably, subconsciously passed it over? 😇

Thank you both for your responses.

• Thanks 1

Well, well, well and relevant to my 2nd question, I've just received an email touting 700 bonus points were up for grabs in some sort of booking incentive winter promo.  The T&C seem to indicate that they are retroactive to bookings made since Sept. 7th.

I'm posting for the benefit of others as I'm still eliminated from this offer due to my sailing dates. 😔

Screenshot_20221117-110939_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Well, well, well and relevant to my 2nd question, I've just received an email touting 700 bonus points were up for grabs in some sort of booking incentive winter promo.  The T&C seem to indicate that they are retroactive to bookings made since Sept. 7th.

I'm posting for the benefit of others as I'm still eliminated from this offer due to my sailing dates. 😔

Screenshot_20221117-110939_Chrome.jpg

Not only you're excluded cause of your sailing date, but you're simultaneously a welcome member (1st MSC cruise) and a status match program adherent. Understandably; this promo seems designed with the members that are earning status "the hard way", rather than the others.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Not only you're excluded cause of your sailing date, but you're simultaneously a welcome member (1st MSC cruise) and a status match program adherent. Understandably; this promo seems designed with the members that are earning status "the hard way", rather than the others.

Quite right.  The email language that I didn't post earlier makes all of that clear, but, is it really true that I'm still a Welcome member after status matching to Gold in 2021?  I also didn't "get" the reference to Status Match Plus in the T&C since none of my documentation calls it that.  Fortunately, the status match qualified me for the Voyager Experience discounts which is the most valuable item, of course, until I earn the Diamond Dinner.

The email language below was embellished with a Register Now link.

THIS OFFER ENDS SOON! BOOK BY NOVEMBER 30

For a limited time, MSC Voyagers Club members and past guests who enroll can take advantage of this exclusive offer and get 700 Bonus Points and 5% Off a selection of sailings throughout the world including the Caribbean, South America, Europe, and beyond.

If you’ve cruised with MSC Cruises before, there’s never been a better time to set sail with us again and look forward to discovering more of the world’s wonders.

41 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Quite right.  The email language that I didn't post earlier makes all of that clear, but, is it really true that I'm still a Welcome member after status matching to Gold in 2021?  I also didn't "get" the reference to Status Match Plus in the T&C since none of my documentation calls it that.  Fortunately, the status match qualified me for the Voyager Experience discounts which is the most valuable item, of course, until I earn the Diamond Dinner.

The email language below was embellished with a Register Now link.

THIS OFFER ENDS SOON! BOOK BY NOVEMBER 30

For a limited time, MSC Voyagers Club members and past guests who enroll can take advantage of this exclusive offer and get 700 Bonus Points and 5% Off a selection of sailings throughout the world including the Caribbean, South America, Europe, and beyond.

If you’ve cruised with MSC Cruises before, there’s never been a better time to set sail with us again and look forward to discovering more of the world’s wonders.

It is pretty much clearly for repeat loyal MSC cruisers, no matter when one made their status match. In other words: This promotion is not valid for:

First time cruisers.

2nd time cruisers if their first cruise was made with the status match program discount.

2 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

It is pretty much clearly for repeat loyal MSC cruisers, no matter when one made their status match. In other words: This promotion is not valid for:

First time cruisers.

2nd time cruisers if their first cruise was made with the status match program discount.

Yes,  I was agreeing with you on the offer, just not on your observation that I was a simultaneous Welcome member and Gold level.  We are saying the same thing, two different ways.

In any event, you've been extremely helpful with sharing your MSC experiences.  I've already thought of more questions, but, will search first so as not to be redundant.  Also, as October is a long way off, I feel certain a few things will change between now and then that I can stay on top of by frequenting this board.  Thanks again for your feedback. 😊 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Yes,  I was agreeing with you on the offer, just not on your observation that I was a simultaneous Welcome member and Gold level.  We are saying the same thing, two different ways.

In any event, you've been extremely helpful with sharing your MSC experiences.  I've already thought of more questions, but, will search first so as not to be redundant.  Also, as October is a long way off, I feel certain a few things will change between now and then that I can stay on top of by frequenting this board.  Thanks again for your feedback. 😊 

You're welcome!...