Formal Wear on Expedition Cruises

CruiserDoc

For expedition cruises in Antarctica, the Arctic and Greenland, are there formal nights onboard? I was on a recent Antarctic cruise with another line recently, and the dress code was very relaxed and informal. Just wondering if that's the case with Silversea.

3 hours ago, CruiserDoc said:

For expedition cruises in Antarctica, the Arctic and Greenland, are there formal nights onboard?

No. None.

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

I used to wear a jacket at times but there would be only 1 or 2 other men that did.

That would be JP and I.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The dress code on expedition ships is casual and informal (jacket, no tie). No formal. I've read that many men wear shirts and sweaters but not jackets on informal nights, and it's ok. We are going over Christmas and New Years, so my husband is packing his blue blazer. If it fits into our 50-lb. limit suitcase with all the other expedition gear, that is.

15 hours ago, alithecat said:

The dress code on expedition ships is casual and informal (jacket, no tie). No formal. I've read that many men wear shirts and sweaters but not jackets on informal nights, and it's ok. We are going over Christmas and New Years, so my husband is packing his blue blazer. If it fits into our 50-lb. limit suitcase with all the other expedition gear, that is.

Exactly right! In Silversea's lexicon of nightly dress levels, expedition ships have mostly "casual" nights, a few "informal" nights, and no "formal" nights. Informal requires men wear a sports jacket. But from many reports, not everyone does, and it isn't enforced as strictly as formal nights on a conventional/classic cruise.

@alithecat We'll be on your cruise, and if you see me on one of the informal nights, you'll know from the presence or absence of my blue blazer how well I made out fitting into the 50 pound luggage weight limit! 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Explorer.  My husband wore a jacket, no tie, on the Captain's Welcome Dinner, Captain's Farewell Dinner, and Venetian Society Dinner.  I wore the same skirt and top to each as well (no sparkles or heels or anything along that line).

1 hour ago, caradara said:

We just got back from the Explorer.  My husband wore a jacket, no tie, on the Captain's Welcome Dinner, Captain's Farewell Dinner, and Venetian Society Dinner.  I wore the same skirt and top to each as well (no sparkles or heels or anything along that line).

Can one still attend these events if we don't bring a jacket (just sweater and slacks)? (Doing the 18 day cruise and just not enough weight/space for a jacket or skirt to only be worn once or twice)

1 hour ago, sherylc said:

Can one still attend these events if we don't bring a jacket (just sweater and slacks)? (Doing the 18 day cruise and just not enough weight/space for a jacket or skirt to only be worn once or twice)

No problem at all. I have no problems though taking a jacket and wear it on the plane. Handy for putting extra things in the pockets for going through security.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Formal Wear on Expedition Cruises
On 11/28/2022 at 11:38 PM, sherylc said:

Yes of course, just dress tidily.