Forward Facing Balcony - Have you had one, was it too cold to enjoy?

WaggesAZ

Hi all!  I am considering a forward facing cabin, it's open, uncovered and looks like it could be great during for enjoying/viewing Glacier Bay.  However my husband took one look and said, "OH HECK NO!  Too cold and too windy, you couldn't even enjoy it!"  It is a mini suite on Princess, so I know I would love the added space too, but I have think forward facing on any ship would be the same when it comes to wind and cold.  So that said,  I would LOVE to hear any feedback from those have experienced a forward facing cabin.

Forward balconies are perfect when viewing glaciers  - however underway tacking into the

wind or just the forward movement may be a problem for some folk.

Yes it can be a cool (cold) experience - one other thing to consider is having the balcony

door open and then the cabin door opens to a cyclone of air movement thru the cabin.

Papers and loose items scattering some even making it into the stateroom passageway.

Then closing doors becomes a problem and may be a threat to limbs closing the open door(s).

At night a forward balcony may be LIGHT restricted because of the Bridge above.

Having bright lights on in the cabin a curtain must be pulled or dim the lights - reflection off

of the balcony back up into the Bridge and suggested no flash photography.

On a sunny cruise ordinarily a forward balcony can be one of the best places to be

seeing what is ahead - having a drink or two - reading - sunning - relaxing - - - the deck

area below the railing is generally enclosed and therefore sheltered from the wind.

Some balconies also have an extension of the deck above offering more sheltering.

During inclement weather an un-sheltered balcony may not be the best 
During heavy weather there may be a felt up and down movement.

Not a real problem on the huge mega ships.

So now decision time - with above cons to a balcony that don't happen ALL the time if at all.

Pro point is the balcony is your own private viewing space not shared with others and that

space may be greater than side facing balconies - does the keep you within budget ?

Keep in mind that most of the cruising is done at night moving between ports of call.

How much real use will you have with that forward balcony ?

4 hours ago, WaggesAZ said:

Hi all!  I am considering a forward facing cabin, it's open, uncovered and looks like it could be great during for enjoying/viewing Glacier Bay.  However my husband took one look and said, "OH HECK NO!  Too cold and too windy, you couldn't even enjoy it!"  It is a mini suite on Princess, so I know I would love the added space too, but I have think forward facing on any ship would be the same when it comes to wind and cold.  So that said,  I would LOVE to hear any feedback from those have experienced a forward facing cabin.

While none of our ships had fwd balconies, I have spent way too many hours on bridge wings of many ships. Depending on the design of the fwd bulkhead and the relative wind over the ship, a fwd balcony can be very comfortable, and it has the best views.

If the ship is making 20 kts and the wind is ahead of the beam, you are liable to get some wind across the decks. When standing looking fwd, it will be noticeable, but when seated on the balcony, any wind is often deflected upwards, so it should be reasonably calm. We could stand on the open Bridge Wings and be reasonably sheltered, as the wind across the decks was deflected upwards.

When the wind is abaft the beam, it reduces the relative wind over the decks, so that a following wind speed same as the same as the ship's speed, will have zero wind over the deck.

In Alaska, temperatures and weather vary greatly, but on a couple of Alaska cruises, we have experienced 90F. When viewing glaciers, the ship is stopped and the Master spins the ship, so everyone gets a good view.

As noted above, one downside of a fwd cabin is diligent use of the blackout curtains. Any light shining fwd at night degrades the Bridge team's night vision, so is a guarantee of receiving a crew member visit to remind you of the requirements. 

Additional downsides of fwd cabins is increased movement as you are further from CoG, noise from anchoring/rope handling machinery when docking and noise/vibration from the thrusters. If in fog, you may also hear the whistle sounding for 4 - 6 seconds every 2 minutes.

On the positive side, the ship's Bridge is located where they have the best views, so that is definitely a positive for a fwd cabin.

• Like 1

I would love to do a forward facing but I think it would be a little bit cold.  I enjoyed a friends forward facing in the fjords of New Zealand a few years ago.  It was not Alaska cold by any means but it was not warm out there either.  Are you sit on the balcony for long periods of time with a drink people?  Or do you mostly use your cabin to crash?  If you are doing a Glacier Bay trip maybe, or the Med for sure maybe even lower Norway (never done the arctic circle).  But I Alaska has been my coldest cruise by far I would want a heated blanket or something to keep me warm.   I am sure it would be stunning though. 

• 1 month later...

Oh my word, I didn't mean to be so rude!  Thank you all for your input.  I unfortunately waited too long and the cabin I was considering was booked by the time I tried to grab it.  I will remain in the very aft on the Dolphin Deck of the Majestic Princess.  I think it will be just great!  Again, many thanks!

• Like 1

I have spent many glacier days below the bridge (facing forward) on ships watching glaciers and it is the coldest place to be (and windy). I am wearing my ear protection, scarf and jacket. Much more than if I was anywhere else on the ship. I wouldn't book it.

• Like 1