Norwegian Breakaway Current Sailing- BEWARE

On 11/18/2022 at 11:00 PM, Cruising to Retirement said:

On the current 14 night Cruise to New Orleans, some major issues with only 2500 total on board and only 40 Kids...Medical is swamped daily with passengers coughing and feeeling congested. Numerous cases of pneumonia documented, includung my Wife who visited Medical three days in a row and now have a medical bill for over $9,000. She was not admitted, just treated for pneumonia with no issues at all before we boarded in NYC.  Per CD, over 4500 including 1,000 children this coming Sunday... Bring meds and have Travel Insurance with Medical Rider Policy...The Ship will be iver 4,000 through the New Year...Can't imagine since there are only 2500 currently and there is no space or loungers now...Good Luck 

$9000????

The details and takeaway from this thread are helpful:

1) Consider purchasing travel insurance. Only you know what your credit card company and insurance policy covers. Likewise, only you know what you are willing and capable to pay out of pocket. 
2) All illnesses that are contagious are a risk in public spaces. Cruises can be crowded with lots of people — healthy and sick. Plan accordingly. If you are sick, don’t go on the trip and jeopardize others. Only you know your age and health. Make smart decisions for yourself and responsible decisions for the people in your community — including fellow travelers. 
3) Be smart when consulting medical practitioners and scrutinize the services they are going to provide. It is your health and your money. 

All of that being said, remember that people travel safely all the time. The vast majority — the overwhelming majority — travel without illness, injury, or incident. Yes, illnesses happen and are sometimes unavoidable. Mitigate your risk. Take the next elevator when the doors open and someone is coughing up a lung. Wash and sanitize regularly. Etc. BUT enjoy your trip. Enjoy the time leading up to the trip and the time your are on your trip. Read these posts but don’t be paralyzed by them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

I think the $900 total bill including medication (e.g. Z-pack was just $121) AND nebulizer treatments was a fair price as well.  I DON'T think that the suggested $3,000 worth of tests (no meds or treatments included) was warranted. I'm super happy I looked at it closely before signing the consent. I think everyone should do the same!

PS   Since I only pay $10 for my Albuterol inhalers with insurance you had me curious about the actual retail price without insurance. A quick web search shows it's about $30-$50 in NJ.  Not sure where you are located but $300 is actually excessive for that med.

https://www.talktomira.com/post/asthma-inhalers-cost-without-insurance-in-2021
We have a high deductible, two of my kids (twins) needed inhalers when they were young, and needed to also have them in the nurse’s office. I remember having to pay OOP for some of them, and we needed at least 3 for home/school, they were not cheap. It’s crazy how expensive things are without insurance. I need to get a refill of some steroid creams now, since they will cost $400 or so in January.

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

We have a high deductible, two of my kids (twins) needed inhalers when they were young, and needed to also have them in the nurse’s office. I remember having to pay OOP for some of them, and we needed at least 3 for home/school, they were not cheap. It’s crazy how expensive things are without insurance. I need to get a refill of some steroid creams now, since they will cost $400 or so in January.

The other advice, is if you are worried at all about your health, see your physician before you go on a cruise. Make sure you are healthy. Refill prescription, inhalers, anything you may need for the cruise. Bring essential over the counter medications. A small first aid kit with bandaids or other essential items. I’m not suggesting you over do it, but you know what things you might need. (Sun burns, blisters, allergies, pain meds, etc.)

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Ahhh! I see now we're talking about 2 different types of inhalers/medications.  The ones you linked have "preventative" medication in them - they are not "rescue" inhalers. ( If you scroll down further on the link you shared it explains the different types.) What I have and what I needed when I had Covid was a basic rescue inhaler (Albuterol.)  Here's average Albuterol prices https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/albuterol.

The point of my post wasn't the price of an inhaler, it was a reminder that unless you want to wind up with an overinflated bill and take unnecessary tests, make sure you know what you are paying for in advance when getting medical treatment on a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

.. unless you want to wind up with an overinflated bill and take unnecessary tests, make sure you know what you are paying for in advance when getting medical treatment on a cruise.

This. All day. I wouldn’t have thought to examine the treatment plan. Thanks!

• Like 4