Currently On Sirena - Questions?

samiam0403

15 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Would you happen to know the seating capacity in the two specialties?  Thanks

I believe  the max searing is 90   but as mentioned they  do not   seat   the maximum

They leave  tables empty 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

Final random thoughts on Sirena and our cruise: ...

MEFIowa asked Dottie (the cruise director) to set up a veterans' gathering, and there was a pretty good turnout - even considering it didn't make it into the Currents. It was great to chat with other vets, and I was pleasantly surprised at how many of my fellow female vets attended. Would love to see this on all sailings!....

Yes, I was a bit shocked it wasn't scheduled on Sirena as it was on Riviera 12/21 with CD Paul, who hosted it in Martinis. I had thought from that cruise it was essentially a "standard" type get together on every cruise.

I hope others on O cruises will ask their CD early in the cruise whether such a gathering is planned and, if not, about scheduling a veterans' gathering.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

IF you are the last person back, you sometimes get special treatment. They, in this case the port staff, met me at the beginning of the pier in Puerto Plaza and drove me to Sirena. When I came back last in San Juan I didn't have to walk thru the empty cruise terminal for they opened the previously locked gate near the bow and I just strolled over to the gangway.

Do you get  a standing ovation from crew & pax as you board  last?

🤔 😉

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

I hope others on O cruises will ask their CD early in the cruise whether such a gathering is planned and, if not, about scheduling a veterans' gathering.

That’ll my plan for our Sirena cruise starting January 18th.  Have done a few Vet gatherings with CD Paul.

• Like 3

On 11/24/2022 at 10:19 AM, susiesan said:

Is it worth just wandering around the town in St. Vincents, anything to see? I'll be there in a few weeks from marina. I have a snorkeling excursion I the morning but nothing planned for the afternoon. Looking for tips as there is little info on the ports of call section of CC.

For just Kingstown... (1) If you want a fascinating view take a CAB or TAXI the 2 miles from the pier up the STEEP hill to Fort Charlotte. Wife & I walked it on a hot day, but I love that sort of thing. (2) The Roman Catholic and Anglican cathedrals are across the street from each other between N. River Road. (3) The quiet Botanical Garden is up the Leeward Highway. Walkable, easier than Ft. Charlotte, but most likely would want to be driven there and back. (4) As for the downtown, I walked it for hours and it seemed pretty much like Roseau, Dominica. Rather industrial and business oriented. Somewhat run down and dirty. BUT the people are so friendly.

OUTSIDE of Kingstown, for the island... There is Black Point Tunnel (east coast, halfway up), that my wife and I took a taxi to. Somehow, we got the "standard" published fare of $150 (for 1-4 passengers) down to just $100. The drive there along the coast and then back by interior was fascinating. See also the Mesopotamian Valley, beautiful jungle and near the Montreal Gardens. Also, the Wallilabou Bay (west coast, about halfway up) has the remains of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie city set. (We didn't go to it.)

• Like 1

Our transatlantic cruise on Sirena was in September 2018, from Rome to Miami.  The crossing was extremely smooth, like a serene pond.  That was surprising because we had to sail around Hurricane Florence. We missed Bermuda, which was hit by the hurricane.  We went south of the hurricane's path.  We had 8 fabulous sea days in a row.  We loved it!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Do you get a standing ovation from crew & pax as you board last?

🤔 😉

In Roseau, Dominica, the people lined up on the pool deck shouted a few things. I remember distinctly hearing, "Run, Forest, run." I walked. And the security people and I became buddies. When I left, I'd tell them, "See you at (insert final return time here). I won't be back a minute earlier." 😉 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We have been on the sister ships  during rough seas    they handled just fine

We were hit by a rogue wave   between Grand Cayman & Columbia  

Though we had hit a container it was such a bang .. someone in the smoking  section on the pool deck said  it came up & over the walking track above

Then again in the Irish sea  it was force 9   but Insignia  was fine

Wow! Note to self: utilize the indoor smoking room by Horizons on our Nautica cruise, especially while sailing in the Bay of Biscay.

• Haha 1

in the early years  they used to have  Veterans meetings  as well as FOD & Friends of Bill  in the Currents

Then  they stopped this  I think in the pas 5-6 yrs   as every group out there wanted a special meeting

So now if you ask they will usually  do it but not an automatic  thing

I have seem meetings  for Canadian cruisers  British Cruisers  Australian  etc   some Rotary groups 

I better it was too much  for them to schedule  😉

JMO

• Like 1

Just now, LHT28 said:

in the early years  they used to have  Veterans meetings  as well as FOD & Friends of Bill  in the Currents

Then  they stopped this  I think in the pas 5-6 yrs   as every group out there wanted a special meeting

So now if you ask they will usually  do it but not an automatic  thing

I have seem meetings  for Canadian cruisers  British Cruisers  Australian  etc   some Rotary groups 

I better it was too much  for them to schedule  😉

JMO

They definitely had Friends of Bill meetings on Sirena - not sure if due to pax request, or if it's standard. 

• Like 1

As for St. Barts: "We stopped at Cantina on Rue du Bord de Mer. We had heard horror stories about a quick lunch and 2 sodas costing over 100 euro, but we had 2 mains (a sort of duck shepherds pie and a burger and fries that were AMAZING), a large bottle of Evian, and a pina colada, and the total was around 55 euro. Not bad at all."

-------------

After 3 wonderful hours at Shell Beach in the early afternoon, I had some delicious French coffee and an amazing baked item at L'atelier de Joel Robuchon TO/GO (14 rue de General de Gaulle, Gustavia) for just 7.50 Euro. BUT I did find the same St. B t-shirt in two places. One at 40 Euros and the other at 30 Euros. I sprang for the 30. Most expensive t-shirt I've ever bought in a tourist shop area.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Seems to me CD Julie scheduled a Vet get together on our last cruise. It was scheduled for 13:00 on a port day! 😳 Attendance, I heard,  wasn’t very good. A bit more forethought was needed instead of just going through the motions.

I hope we will be able to exhibit a higher degree of common sense then that when we schedule ours.  Is CD Julie still around? I heard she was not doing CD duties.

I do not think one "needs" a host for a Veteran gathering. Just a mention in the currents and/or CD noon PA mention is fine.  Certainly "non hosted" works. CD Paul did host the gatherings for the last two I attended but I truly believed he wanted to be there.  We had at least 25 Vets and a few spouses from 5 different countries. Great get togethers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I believe  the max searing is 90   but as mentioned they  do not   seat   the maximum

They leave  tables empty 

To put this in mathematical perspective. A past Social Director told us that, regardless of ship, they are set up to handle 40% of the passengers nightly in a Specialty restaurant.

Therefore, with a full R ship of 680 passengers, that means that up to 272 can dine nightly in a Specialty. With two restaurants that means 136 per night in each. If you take that about half are being served at any one time maximum, that means about 68-70 is the maximum goal they are after.

Interesting additional tidbit, she also told that every evening, on average, 1. About 40% in in a Specialty ; 2. 40% in the GDR or Terrace; 3. The remaining eat room service, en-suite, or Afternoon Tea is their evening meal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RetiredLifer said:

I do not think one "needs" a host for a Veteran gathering. Just a mention in the currents and/or CD noon PA mention is fine.  Certainly "non hosted" works. CD Paul did host the gatherings for the last two I attended but I truly believed he wanted to be there.  We had at least 25 Vets and a few spouses from 5 different countries. Great get togethers. 

I do not think  the CD's host  the group meetings unless they have a vested interest

To put this in mathematical perspective. A past Social Director told us that, regardless of ship, they are set up to handle 40% of the passengers nightly in a Specialty restaurant.

Therefore, with a full R ship of 680 passengers, that means that up to 272 can dine nightly in a Specialty. With two restaurants that means 136 per night in each. If you take that about half are being served at any one time maximum, that means about 68-70 is the maximum goal they are after.

Interesting additional tidbit, she also told that every evening, on average, 1. About 40% in in a Specialty ; 2. 40% in the GDR or Terrace; 3. The remaining eat room service, en-suite, or Afternoon Tea is their evening meal. 

So, if I did the math correctly, even with the ship at full load there is a small excess capacity.  

We have only been in the specialties  later one time as the service was abominable

We had 6:30 seating & were still there at 8:30 pm  no dessert  yet 

the room was  getting busy by then

I appreciate your comments and photos!  

In 2024, my GF turns 60 and at that point we will have been dating 10 years, so I offered to pay for her birthday cruise on Sirena.  She turned me down twice (she likes big ships, but we've not been on a smaller ship).  I brought it up one last time and said, "Are you sure?  I am paying for this you know?".  She thought about it and said, "Well, I guess we could try it.  It might be interesting".

I don't have a drink package (didn't do O-Life), so is it correct that we can bring all of the wine that we want onboard?  Do you know what the corkage fee is?

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

We carry a wine suitcase with a case when traveling with friends, no problems. $25 corkage, no charge if consumed in your stateroom. If you do not finish any bottle, the waiter or sommelier can put your room number on it and return it to you for another lunch or dinner. Daily Happy Hour 2 for 1’s with drink specials in Martini’s or Horizons. Captain’s reception is two hours of free drinks in the bars as well. A second HH about 10:00 or so as well with the band playing. There is also an Oceania Club Cocktail party(s)  for past guests so plenty of opportunities for a glass of something.

Enjoy your cruise.  On Sirena so you will have a Red Ginger Specialty restaurant. Lots of wonderful dishes; must try the Watermelon and Duck Salad, Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass and so many other special dishes. OUTSTANDING 

Mauibabes

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

We carry a wine suitcase with a case when traveling with friends, no problems. $25 corkage, no charge if consumed in your stateroom. If you do not finish any bottle, the waiter or sommelier can put your room number on it and return it to you for another lunch or dinner. Daily Happy Hour 2 for 1’s with drink specials in Martini’s or Horizons. Captain’s reception is two hours of free drinks in the bars as well. A second HH about 10:00 or so as well with the band playing. There is also an Oceania Club Cocktail party(s)  for past guests so plenty of opportunities for a glass of something.

Enjoy your cruise.  On Sirena so you will have a Red Ginger Specialty restaurant. Lots of wonderful dishes; must try the Watermelon and Duck Salad, Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass and so many other special dishes. OUTSTANDING 

Mauibabes

Looking forward to it.  Hopefully the GF will too.  She almost turned down a "free" cruise on Oceania, lol.

Edited by Stockjock