Lima Airport Closure

pappy1022

Just saw this on Regent’s website. I would assume they have informed impacted clients but just in case.

GLOBAL ALERT

Due to the closure of the Lima airport, Seven Seas Mariner's departure on her current sailing has been delayed until November 21 at 6pm local time.

Here is the reason why:

Jorge Chavez International Airport (LIM), which serves the city of Lima, Peru, will be closed until further notice, after a LATAM Airbus A320neo collided with a Rescue and Fire Fighting Service (ARFF) vehicle while performing its take-off run.

Due to causes that need to be established, the vehicle invaded the runway and impacted the aircraft, causing the engine to detach and the right main gear to collapse due to friction against the runway, resulting in a fire.

11 hours ago, carolina cruisin said:

Word now is airport will open at midnight tonight. Hope so because we are sitting Atlanta waiting to fly to Lima

Enjoy your cruise. I just debarked Mariner in lima yesterday. It was a fabulous cruise. Excellent in every way. Had so much fun, met great people, made new friends.
My understanding is that passengers with transit provided by Regent are still on board the ship. I think my friends said they’re leaving the ship tomorrow to go to a lima hotel. They will then fly out on their regularly scheduled flights. 
instead of doing the Machu Picchu Land tour through Regent, I had scheduled a private tour to Paracas in Southern Peru. 
Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

We arrived on Mariner yesterday after a 22 hour bus journey from Cusco to Lima. Seemed the best option, as it was not clear when we could get a flight. About 300 passengers are waiting to get off the ship today. When it does depart, the itinerary for the next few days will clearly have to change.

• Like 2

Glad you made aboard! That must have been an experience to say the least. Having been in that part of the world traveling by plane and train , I think you were very brave. 
Glad you made it to the ship. With back up on flights caused by the airport closure it must be an absolute mess for Regent. 
Would be interested on the number who make the sailing by tonight and if more will board in Chile.

We did this segment on the.Mariner Circle SA a number of years ago. It is a great cruise. Enjoy your time aboard 

We certainly have a story to , but it was far better than the uncertainty over a plane journey. It took us two hours to get out of Lima airport when we first arrived in Lima. It took us a couple of minutes to get our luggage when we arrived on the bus to Lima.