lanyards

xray0111

1 hour ago, ballarinamom said:

We use something like this on the back of our phones and they work great! Especially since we have it with for the app as well as our camera. image.thumb.png.5b58f51e8a7c9ed7669465b5169f3d13.pngse the 

I have always been under the impression, and cards that have technology in them shouldn't be near or touching your cell phone.  Probably some old internet wives tale.

• Like 1

Just now, mickeychicky said:

I have always been under the impression, and cards that have technology in them shouldn't be near or touching your cell phone.  Probably some old internet wives tale.

We've been using these for a couple of years. We keep ID and credit cards in it with no problem. And I dont leave it behind like i used to with a purse 

Threads like this reminds me of the main reason I wear a lanyard- to ruin other people's vacation...

It's so awesome that so many people are bothered SO MUCH about how other people carry their seapass card, just amazing.  You spend $1000 on vacation, and my free lanyard ruins all of that.  Gotta love it.

OP- never had an issue with a hole punch on non RFID ships, but carry a clear pocket for ships that are RFID.  Bonus, with RFID, you never take the card out of the clear pouch.  

I think within a few years, I'll be wearing socks with my sandals.  Especially flip flops.  Dark ones, so that they are obvious.  Maybe add a speedo as I get even older.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Now let's see if I can reach down WAY into the pot and give it a big stir.  When I was a smoker (I quit about a year ago) my seapass card was stuck inside my cigarette pack.  I never went anywhere without my cigarettes so it worked out perfectly.  Now that I don't carry cigarettes I am juggling where to put the bloody thing.  Far too many years traveling for work and going to trade shows make lanyards a no go for me.  The second I wear one I think work, I just can't disconnect it.  So since I've given up smoking I usually just put it in my shorts pocket when wearing shorts or tuck it into my jeans pockets.  Now I won't say whether or not those shorts are worn into MDR.  

On 11/20/2022 at 11:51 AM, Sea Dog said:

I use these clipped onto my belt loop

Again, most girls don't do belt loops...but Todd has several clips like that the bartenders gave him on various ships so he does those.  He admired them and they just took them off and said "here you are Mr. Todd"  I just love RCCL crew.  We have made so many friends over the years of the crew.  V comes to mind, Val who led our most favorite Martini class and our favorite Ariel was from Allure Trellis Bar..so sweet.

photo.JPG

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 4

Remember those wrist medallions, we bought 2 of the darn things thinking the fleet would adapt to them and now they seem totally useless, they're sitting in the cruise drawer!

This pic is of a Princess version, RCCL were either blue or white

medallions.webp

I'm with those who say ICK to wearing a lanyard on vacation.  I didn't particularly like wearing one with my work ID.  All my shorts /day dresses /swim cover-ups have pockets for a Ship ID, and in the evening I carry a small wristlet bag.  

I'll call 100% BS on "literally everyone" wearing lanyards onboard.  Certainly the lanyard crew is made up of more than a few members, but they're in the minority.  

More to the spirit of the question:  If you really want to use a lanyard, don't wait and hope for a punch.  Either purchase a lanyard that comes with a plastic "holder" attached, or go to Walmart's sporting goods department and purchase one.  They're intended to hold /keep dry paper fishing licenses, and they cost about $1.  Office supply stores sell them too, but they tend to sell them in packets of 5 or 10, and you probably don't need that many. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury

On 11/20/2022 at 1:20 PM, loman said:

What ever happened to those fanny packs ?

20 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

I don't know. The younger kids are wearing them like bandoleros the park.

13 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

Exactly right. They're sold everywhere and worn as a sling. Or on your butt as a bum bag.

I DO think fanny packs are having a small comeback at the moment. Although as mentioned above, a lot of them are worn like a sling bag with the pouch across the chest. I bought a nice one (some upscale brand name on sale) and I wear it AS A FANNY PACK. I don't care about how it looks - it is convenient. Especially when I am walking the dog. I'm very much in the camp of convenience > fashion. I use larger hiking lumbar packs when we go to Disney (essentially fanny pack with more padding and storage). I also used to wear the lanyard with the punch (again, I don't care) but now that I also want my phone with me, I use a very compact crossbody. My phone fits perfectly, I can see the screen, and it has a small space for putting my SeaPass card on the other side.

Women's Handbags | Zulily

4 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

We use something like this on the back of our phones and they work great! Especially since we have it with for the app as well as our camera. image.thumb.png.5b58f51e8a7c9ed7669465b5169f3d13.png

My students like those for the back of their phones -- we often get plastic versions as give-aways from various companies -- but my kids just are not careful with them!  I see unattended phones left here and there pretty often; for example, left in the bathroom or on the bleachers at a basketball game.  Left with a credit card or cash sticking out.  I warn 'em, but they don't think anything bad'll happen.  

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

It's so awesome that so many people are bothered SO MUCH about how other people carry their seapass card, just amazing.  You spend $1000 on vacation, and my free lanyard ruins all of that.  Gotta love it.

Did anyone say their vacation was ruined by someone else's questionable fashion choice?  

24 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I DO think fanny packs are having a small comeback at the moment. Although as mentioned above, a lot of them are worn like a sling bag with the pouch across the chest.

My daughter says it's a Kardashian thing.  

8 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

My students like those for the back of their phones -- we often get plastic versions as give-aways from various companies -- but my kids just are not careful with them!  I see unattended phones left here and there pretty often; for example, left in the bathroom or on the bleachers at a basketball game.  Left with a credit card or cash sticking out.  I warn 'em, but they don't think anything bad'll happen.  

Did anyone say their vacation was ruined by someone else's questionable fashion choice?  

My daughter says it's a Kardashian thing.  

I dont know about a Kardashian thing as non of our family, including our 21 year old daughter, has ever watched them. We started with a freebie ones her college gave out and moved to nicer ones. I agree that for kids, phones get lost alot. But it works well for us

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I DO think fanny packs are having a small comeback at the moment.

I was in Macy's in Clearwater, Florida this afternoon.  As I walked through the young men's athletic clothing department (at which I DO NOT buy my clothing!) there was a mannequin displaying the latest in young men's athletic gear trends, and the display included a fanny pak.   I did not see a similar display in where my mature-sized men's clothing was being sold!  So, rumors of the demise of and popularity of the fanny pak seem to be somewhat exaggerated.  

Fanny Pak.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm with those who say ICK to wearing a lanyard on vacation.  I didn't particularly like wearing one with my work ID.  All my shorts /day dresses /swim cover-ups have pockets for a Ship ID, and in the evening I carry a small wristlet bag.  

I'll call 100% BS on "literally everyone" wearing lanyards onboard.  Certainly the lanyard crew is made up of more than a few members, but they're in the minority.  

More to the spirit of the question:  If you really want to use a lanyard, don't wait and hope for a punch.  Either purchase a lanyard that comes with a plastic "holder" attached, or go to Walmart's sporting goods department and purchase one.  They're intended to hold /keep dry paper fishing licenses, and they cost about $1.  Office supply stores sell them too, but they tend to sell them in packets of 5 or 10, and you probably don't need that many. 

Oh please, a lanyard under a shirt works well.  If you run, seapass cards drop out of pockets.  The lanyard works.  And, I’ll say it again even RFID cards can be punched.  The person just needs to know where to punch.  So, I will happily and tackily wear my lanyard.  Everyone enjoy it however you like, whatever floats your boat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Airbear232 said:

Oh please, a lanyard under a shirt works well.  If you run, seapass cards drop out of pockets.  The lanyard works.  And, I’ll say it again even RFID cards can be punched.  The person just needs to know where to punch.  So, I will happily and tackily wear my lanyard.  Everyone enjoy it however you like, whatever floats your boat. 

Good for you -- I hope you're happy with it.  No, I've never had a problem with my Sea Pass falling out of my pocket.  Sure, they can be punched -- assuming you have a punch available.  Since you don't know for sure whether you'll be able to get your card punched onboard, a plastic sleeve is a safe choice.    

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Call it if you wish,  but you'll be wrong.  We were on Brilliance 3 weeks ago,  lanyards were definitely in the majority.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Since you don't know for sure whether you'll be able to get your card punched onboard, a plastic sleeve is a safe choice.    

I recently returned from my first-ever cruise, on Serenade of the Seas.  Pre-cruise, I purchased a "kit" of several things, including:  2 lanyards and plastic sleeves/holders - which could be worn around the neck, or they would separate so it could be clipped to a pocket or someplace else.  I did see 1 person who wore a lanyard attached to which was a sea pass with a rectangular hole punched into it and not inserted into a sleeve.

Lanyard.jpg

9 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Call it if you wish,  but you'll be wrong.  We were on Brilliance 3 weeks ago,  lanyards were definitely in the majority.

But not "literally everyone", as previously claimed.  Don't remember who said it.

I've only ever seen a handful of people wearing them.  

5 minutes ago, Longford said:

I recently returned from my first-ever cruise, on Serenade of the Seas.  Pre-cruise, I purchased a "kit" of several things, including:  2 lanyards and plastic sleeves/holders - which could be worn around the neck, or they would separate so it could be clipped to a pocket or someplace else.  I did see 1 person who wore a lanyard attached to which was a sea pass with a rectangular hole punched into it and not inserted into a sleeve.

Lanyard.jpg

If you're going to wear a lanyard, this type makes sense.  More sense than hoping for the ability to punch.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

But not "literally everyone", as previously claimed.  Don't remember who said it.

I've only ever seen a handful of people wearing them.  

If you're going to wear a lanyard, this type makes sense.  More sense than hoping for the ability to punch.  

The nice thing about he punch vs the pouch is you can easily open your door with the punch instead of constantly pulling it out and putting it in. If i didn use the phone wallet, i would prefer the punch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never use lanyards.  I don't want something hanging around my neck all day.  I put my Seapass card in my shoulder pouch I carry, throw it in the backpack on the beach or at the pool.  Husband keeps it in his swim trunks or gives it to me.

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Good for you -- I hope you're happy with it.  No, I've never had a problem with my Sea Pass falling out of my pocket.  Sure, they can be punched -- assuming you have a punch available.  Since you don't know for sure whether you'll be able to get your card punched onboard, a plastic sleeve is a safe choice.    

We’re on Anthem for Xmas, as normal I’ll have my card punched at Guest Services.  Yes, I was told on one or two cruises they can’t but spoke to other crew members.  The issue is really not punching the card in the wrong place.  But when you have someone who knows what they’re doing, it’s a breeze.  And, I don’t use the lanyard all the time  (but don’t begrudge anyone who does).  I just find it very convenient during the day if I’m out and about to pool, gym or windjammer, it’s just easy and safe.  The plastic sleeves are a pain, it’s difficult to pull out a card from a wet or tight sleeve and they usually break.  This works for me and my family, YMMV.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

It matters to you so much that you are here telling people to not wear them.  The simple fact that you call them "questionable fashion choices" points out that you notice and get bothered by other people choices.

Deny it all you want, but you are putting the words out there.  It bugs you.  And I find that hilarious that it matters to you so much that you would post about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

It matters to you so much that you are here telling people to not wear them.  The simple fact that you call them "questionable fashion choices" points out that you notice and get bothered by other people choices.

Deny it all you want, but you are putting the words out there.  It bugs you.  And I find that hilarious that it matters to you so much that you would post about it.

You're reading more than I've said. 

No, I don't think it's a good look for an adult, but note that I've also suggested the plastic holder rather than counting on a punch being available.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You're reading more than I've said. 

No, I don't think it's a good look for an adult, but note that I've also suggested the plastic holder rather than counting on a punch being available.  

If you say so.  It's certainly not my cruise that is bothered by other people wearing whatever, that's for sure.  

There are a ton of "not good looks" for me, but I really don't care if other people want to wear it, and I'm certainly not going to comment about that.

28 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

There are a ton of "not good looks" for me, but I really don't care if other people want to wear it, and I'm certainly not going to comment about that.

As a recent first-time cruiser, I was bothered by the appearances of some others on the ship.  Disgusted, actually.  And I'd thought about posting some comments about it.  However, it's likely I would have offended some readers, and what would have been gained had I done that?  Nothing really, except me venting.  

Clearly, in this discussion, we witness a few examples of the increased level of intolerance, not much different than we see permeating society today.  It's just a lanyard, relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things. 🥰

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longford said:

As a recent first-time cruiser, I was bothered by the appearances of some others on the ship.  Disgusted, actually.  And I'd thought about posting some comments about it.  However, it's likely I would have offended some readers, and what would have been gained had I done that?  Nothing really, except me venting.  

Clearly, in this discussion, we witness a few examples of the increased level of intolerance, not much different than we see permeating society today.  It's just a lanyard, relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things. 🥰

I'm with you.  I find a lot of what people wear as disgusting.  But, I don't care what others wear.  It's not going to change the taste of my meal or the temperature of the pool water.  

The only thing that bothers me sometimes is the immoral clothing or lack thereof.  Some of the swimwear is far too revealing for my comfort level and pants below the butt with my grandkids present just ain't right.  I think Royal and Carnival should do a better job of policing some the the immoral and/or revealing clothing.  It's not just disgusting, it's immoral, period. And they are the ones that say they are family friendly!  Well, prove it, Royal and Carnival.  Make it so I don't have to turn around and leave, with the gkids because of the immorality of things. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

The only thing that bothers me sometimes is the immoral clothing or lack thereof.  Some of the swimwear is far too revealing for my comfort level and pants below the butt with my grandkids present just ain't right.  I think Royal and Carnival should do a better job of policing some the the immoral and/or revealing clothing.  It's not just disgusting, it's immoral, period. And they are the ones that say they are family friendly!  Well, prove it, Royal and Carnival.  Make it so I don't have to turn around and leave, with the gkids because of the immorality of things. 

So you want YOUR idea of morals imposed on everybody else. 

• Like 2