What to do on disembarkation day in LA?

NoMoreRain

Getting off the Joy on Sunday, Feb 5th.  Flights back to Oregon aren't too good so it looks like we will be cooling our heals in LA until late afternoon at the earliest.

I'd never get the wife out early enough to do the Rodeo Dr sightseeing excursion and frankly I don't want to rush to get off the ship.  The big issue is our luggage since there doesn't seem to be any place to store it and I sure to don't want to haul it around with us.  Renting a car seems like a pain and the luggage storage services seem sketchy at best.

Anyone have any great ideas other than killing half the day in an airport?

Thanks!

When I had to kill time in LA I did the car rental.  I took one of the cruise line shuttles to the airport, AA allowed us to check our bags (yes, 12 hours before the flight and I don't have status with them), then took the rental agency shuttle to grab a car and do sightseeing.

Went to Santa Monica Pier and the Griffith Observatory.  We had more time, and some other things we wanted to do, but one of my companions was getting cranky so we were back to the airport in time for dinner.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NoMoreRain said:

Is that something new?  I've never had to get off the ship that early.

My last cruise all had to be off the ship by 9AM.    I've never seen a ship that didn't require all off by 10AM but it's usually 9-9:30

On 11/20/2022 at 9:10 PM, hallux said:

When I had to kill time in LA I did the car rental.  I took one of the cruise line shuttles to the airport, AA allowed us to check our bags (yes, 12 hours before the flight and I don't have status with them), then took the rental agency shuttle to grab a car and do sightseeing.

Went to Santa Monica Pier and the Griffith Observatory.  We had more time, and some other things we wanted to do, but one of my companions was getting cranky so we were back to the airport in time for dinner.

we are thinking of doing the same.  Thinking of getting a car from Long beach airport and going to the queen mary and the USS Missouri to start with. Then may look at the Santa Monica Pier and Griffith Obervatory.  Our flights don't leave till 11:30 p

If you are spending time in Long Beach, the Aquarium of the Pacific is a great place to kill a few hours in. If you are staying all day, in the winter they do a package ticket deal with a local whale watching company, and the two times I did it we saw whales, and once a huge pod of dolphins. The dock is right next to the aquarium, and they have an aquarium naturalist/expert on board who is great at teaching everyone about the whales. There are a couple of restaurants right on the harbor there, and while most of them are chains (like a Bubba Gump shrimp) at least everything is in an easy walking distance so you can do everything without getting back into a car. I believe there is also a park and beach right there to sit and hang out. Like all parts of LA you'll want to keep an eye on your surroundings, but it's all a pretty touristy place and relatively clean and safe.

On 11/27/2022 at 10:01 AM, Montanagirlalways said:

we are thinking of doing the same.  Thinking of getting a car from Long beach airport and going to the queen mary and the USS Missouri to start with. Then may look at the Santa Monica Pier and Griffith Obervatory.  Our flights don't leave till 11:30 p

Queen Mary may or ma not be open yet.  It’s been closed since 2020. They keep delaying the re-opening.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:01 AM, Montanagirlalways said:

Your flight better leave at 11:30PM two days later if you want to see the USS Missouri, which is in Pearl Harbor 🤣🤣

I think you mean the USS Iowa.

But in any case, I'd think I'd go to LAX to get the car and see LA sights (Griffith Park first, then Santa Monica, then maybe Manhattan Beach for dinner).

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 4:49 PM, scottca075 said:

Your flight better leave at 11:30PM two days later if you want to see the USS Missouri, which is in Pearl Harbor 🤣🤣

I think you mean the USS Iowa.

But in any case, I'd think I'd go to LAX to get the car and see LA sights (Griffith Park first, then Santa Monica, then maybe Manhattan Beach for dinner).

HA HA- you are absolutely correct!!!!