Is pool rim bench hogging the next level of chair hogging?

cruiseinfoseeker

I don't often come to the pool but for a dip in the early morning and then leave. I've seen the chair hogs every cruise (and many land based resorts as well) so no surprise that every single chair around the pool has a towel, a book, or a lone flip-flop enjoying the morning air for the hour and ten minutes I've been here. Three people are in the hot tub and one in pool. Saw them all get in from chairs three rows back.

But now I am seeing something I don't think i have before. People laying claim to extended portions of the bench that wraps the pool itself. Laying down towels and using chair clips to the underside of the wood rim. 

Eight to ten feet of coverage with towels, bags, cups, and whathaveyou. Looking around like they aren't totally obnoxious 😁

Mind you this does not affect me at all since I don't use the area later in the day....OR is it that I don't use the area later in the day because of it. Unfortunately, it is the latter and I've just become accustomed to this so plan alternative activities.

One of the pool bench hoggers came over near me (also on the bench on other side of pool) when I asked mentioned the bench hogging she said has just "been doing it for so long she doesn't know any different...". So manners, she apparently doesn't know them. Far be it for me to introduce them at this point in her life. (Maybe she is waiting for me to get up to lay claim to ten feet of this side, too)

Just a vent, folks, it hasn't ruined my cruise, nor am I going to think much about it again after I leave here in a little while. (Well I guess except for if anyone comments on this) 

Happy Black Friday!  🦃

• Haha 1

Regarding the "regular" sunbed hogging - this came regularly on the big screen on the pool deck on the Escape on our last cruise in August of this year. I don't know if they actually enforced it, as I usually prefer to find sunbeds in more "quiet" spots myself. The general manager on board at that time was a great one who really had passengers best interest in mind in pretty much every aspect of the cruise - so that may explain it.....

image.thumb.jpeg.9d3afbe4a7f23d87c92fa697dbc6501a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c4ceeb98ae49be6163ebb8e7b90ae8d6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.efe63c96e0f3e79e879b64566fa86f29.jpeg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Regarding the "regular" sunbed hogging - this came regularly on the big screen on the pool deck on the Escape on our last cruise in August of this year.

The amount of time given differs by ship and sometime by itinerary. The dailies will state the amount of time. It can be as low as 15 minutes. 

33 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

I don't know if they actually enforced it,...

Enforcement can also vary. I think that if more people knew the amount of time given AND more people persuaded the staff to enforce the limit, chair-hogging would be significantly reduced.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I’ve experienced this at all-inclusive where guests didn’t wait for staff to enforce. They changed the culture by moving the chair hogs items. The people that got their stuff moved threw a fit but they weren’t around the pool the rest of the week. 

I always worry that just at the moment I decide to move the towel, flipflop, pencil case--whatever--the hogger will reappear and throw that fit at me. I don't want to have rude interactions with people on my cruise (because more than likely luck would probably have me  see them over and over again putting the sour experience back in my mind which I don't want)

But really more than that the guests shouldn't have to police the pool loungers. I know I can move stuff after whatever the allotted timeframe is, but I shouldn't have to be monitoring other people's manners. They have a rule and it really doesn't take much to enforce it. They won't get it right every time but they will improve the situation if they do it often.

They don't want to have guest annoyed but they have the ones that can't sit near pool that would like to annoyed. So it should be if you've got to tick off someone it really should be the hoggers.

Anyhow, after my dip this morning I did scoot someone's towel over to the chair next to me and sat there about 10 minutes for the sun to dry me off. I felt like the lady hogging the pool bench was giving me evil eye, so maybe they were hers, or she was just annoyed that I moved a towel from a two hour vacant lounger. (Or the clock was over my head, or I am strikingly beautiful and she couldn't help but stare)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Never bothers me as much these days.  I get some one going to the restroom or maybe back to their cabin for something they forgot.  But, if I spy a lounger or pool area with some items saving the space, I’ll do two or three rounds around the pool deck.  If they don’t return, I take their “stuff” to the attendants.

Once, after I had been at a lounger for about 90 minutes, someone approached me and said I was in their spot.  Told them I had been there for an hour and a half.

They asked what happened to their stuff.  I said I didn’t know, which I didn’t.  After the attendants have it, I have no idea what they do with it.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6