Tips for claiming Princess Platinum Medical Insurance?

CruisinFinsUp

Hi,

We have a cruise booked but unfortunately have to cancel as one of us has new medical issues.  We are past final payment.   

We have Princess Platinum insurance.  We booked thru costco.ca travel.  We booked air separately and I've got that dealt with.

I know about the CFAR.  We are hoping to use the cash back option instead -  I'm looking at the medical under "Cancellation Fee Waiver Program" .

Cancellation Fee Waiver Program

The following Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is provided by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours and is not an insurance benefit.

The Princess Cancellation Fee Waiver Program offers our valued guests the opportunity to receive a refund from Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours (beyond the standard refund policy published in our cruise brochure) for those otherwise non-refundable cruise vacation-related costs prepaid to Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours, should you cancel your cruise vacation for the reasons stated below. Princess Cruise Cancellation Fee Waiver (For Specified Reasons) .................................................Cash Refund Up to Total Cruise Vacation Cost This Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is an addendum to your cruise Ticket Contract. Through the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program, Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours will waive their standard cancellation provision and refund to you IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of your prepaid cruise vacation, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation for any one of the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below**):

1. sickness, injury or death to yourself, a traveling companion, or members of either of your immediate families which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Any tips for how to go about cancelling the cruise and making the claim?  Who do I call first?  Does it even matter?   I see the instructions on the Insurance document so I'll call those numbers this week.   Just wondering if anyone had an experience with this.  

What kind of medical documentation did they require?    

Any tips from your experiences would be greatly appreciated!    Thanks!  

You can fill out an online form. You will be asked for a note from the doctor.  It will apply to everyone in that cabin (not sure if linked bookings apply).  

Then add patience. It took my sisters 3 months.  I continued solo seamlessly.  

• Like 1

How far out is the cruise?

We were 63 days out. I called Princess and canceled and got all but the deposit and the cost of the insurance back without filing a claim. Our deposit was only $1 each, so figured I was 'good'.

Good health to you.

Here is the cancellation policy:

https://www.princess.com/plan/standard-cancellation-refund-policy/

If you need to file a claim:

Need to file a claim?

www.aontravelclaim.com

https://www.princess.com/plan/princess-vacation-protection/

• Like 1

Thanks!

We've called Princess.  They cancelled us.   We are in the 50% penalty period so will have to get the medical form filled in and claim thru AON. 

Never had to cancel before ... but that is why we buy Princess platinum insurance!  Purely for the cancellation option.   Even if they deny the medical (cash back) for some picky reason we have the CFAR that gives us all the rest back in FCC's.    At least we are only claiming for 50% !!   Later in the week it would have been 75% so we called today.   

I will apply patience.  And waiting.   I've seen the threads here so I know to expect a long wait.  😬 For both the 50% refund and the 50% thru insurance.   With any luck the money will come thru around the time we want to book something else!   

@cr8tiv1 - Do you recall if they needed a lot of documentation from the doctor or did they just accept the one page form from your group?    I'm hoping we don't have to go back and forth getting more paperwork.     

Thanks again! 

2 hours ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Thanks!

We've called Princess.  They cancelled us.   We are in the 50% penalty period so will have to get the medical form filled in and claim thru AON. 

Never had to cancel before ... but that is why we buy Princess platinum insurance!  Purely for the cancellation option.   Even if they deny the medical (cash back) for some picky reason we have the CFAR that gives us all the rest back in FCC's.    At least we are only claiming for 50% !!   Later in the week it would have been 75% so we called today.   

I will apply patience.  And waiting.   I've seen the threads here so I know to expect a long wait.  😬 For both the 50% refund and the 50% thru insurance.   With any luck the money will come thru around the time we want to book something else!   

@cr8tiv1 - Do you recall if they needed a lot of documentation from the doctor or did they just accept the one page form from your group?    I'm hoping we don't have to go back and forth getting more paperwork.     

Thanks again! 

My sister initiated the claim.  They accepted the one letter as far as I know.  They did not want FCC which would have been faster.  They received everything back except the insurance.  Fair enough. It was complicated because it was a three party reservation with different fares.  They got a check from AON and credit card credit from Princess.  I did not have to pay a solo supplement. Good luck. 

• Like 1

I cancelled at the end of March. The doctor filled out the one page form and that is all that was needed by AON. 

It didn't take as long as others have had to take. I don't remember exactly how long but I want to say 30 days.

I did not even call AON. I went to their website and initiated a claim and got the form needed. I did everything online.

• Like 1

We cancelled for medical reasons 4 days before cruise embarkation date. Doctor emailed a PDF file excuse note.  The PDF file was attached to the claim made with AON. We received reimbursement from AON 28 days after filing.  Note that we received a credit card charge back from Princess for port fees the same day we cancelled.

• Like 1