Hair appliances confiscated before boarding?

millybess

48 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

For the OP, I will just add that, not from personal experience (balding), that there are several reports that ceramic hair straighteners, and many Dyson products (the Airwrap in particular), will not work on shipboard electrical systems.  Both problems are from the fact that these items use electronics, and those electronics are most commonly set up for a ground that is at the same potential as the neutral.

If I have a 220v appliance, is it possible it won't work?

10 minutes ago, millybess said:

If I have a 220v appliance, is it possible it won't work?

I can't say for sure, I haven't heard reports one way or the other, that I can remember, but typically the neutral for both 110v and 220v are set up similarly, and the appliances will react similarly.  

50 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I can't say for sure, I haven't heard reports one way or the other, that I can remember, but typically the neutral for both 110v and 220v are set up similarly, and the appliances will react similarly.  

Thanks very much!

1 hour ago, MoBro713 said:

I know that Viking will provide a hair dryer but my wife insists on using her own.  Will this be a problem?

Thanks

i have heard/read of several folks who have brought their own hair dryers, with no problems.  The ones provided by the ship are good and will work for most people, but I intend to bring my own on my next cruise in December.  My hair is thick, and I like a powerful hair dryer.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoBro713 said:

I know that Viking will provide a hair dryer but my wife insists on using her own.  Will this be a problem?

Thanks

No, it will not be a problem. Just note that you cannot use it in the bathroom (shavers only) and will have to use one of the other outlets in the cabin. Most people suggest the outlet on the desk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MoBro713 said:

Thanks

3 hours ago, Older Sister said:

i have heard/read of several folks who have brought their own hair dryers, with no problems.  The ones provided by the ship are good and will work for most people, but I intend to bring my own on my next cruise in December.  My hair is thick, and I like a powerful hair dryer.  

While many pax bring personal hair dryers, they are included on the list of prohibited items, which was posted above, as they are a potential fire hazard. Since they are on the prohibited list, they can be seized at any time, being returned at the end of the cruise.

As the Chief posted above, any electronic appliance may not work due to the specific nature of marine wiring.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 11/27/2022 at 3:15 PM, millybess said:

I’m just wondering if anyone has had any hair appliances taken away until disembarkation — flat iron, BaByliss  Miracurl, Dyson Airwrap, etc.?

Any input would be helpful. Thanks. 

Hi Millybess, 

I was wondering if you have gone on your cruise and if so, were you able to take and use your items?  I would also like to use my own items if possible.

TIA

Edited by cmmaxwell03

4 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Hi Millybess, 

I was wondering if you have gone on your cruise and if so, were you able to take and use your items?  I would also like to use my own items if possible.

TIA

Hi cmmaxwell03. We are on our cruise now. I have a few hair appliances with me. Our bags were x-rayed and carry-ons searched. There were no problems. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 7:10 AM, chengkp75 said:

For the OP, I will just add that, not from personal experience (balding), that there are several reports that ceramic hair straighteners, and many Dyson products (the Airwrap in particular), will not work on shipboard electrical systems.  Both problems are from the fact that these items use electronics, and those electronics are most commonly set up for a ground that is at the same potential as the neutral.

No, the outlet is fuse protected, so a high wattage device will blow the fuse, to prevent a fire, but you won't be able to use the outlet until engineering comes to replace the fuse.

Thank you — this is very, very useful information, since I’ve been weighing whether to bring my Airwrap based on space concerns.  I’ll skip it and bring a curling iron instead (RIP my poor ears).