Captive Dolphin Excursion Dominican Rep - shame on Oceania :(

ToxM

Off on Riviera over Christmas and I was perusing the excursions O is offering. 

Am rather shocked and dismayed that they are offering trips that include captive dolphin experiences at a marine park in the Dom Rep. 

@Jancruz please can you make it known to whoever needs to hear it that this is not acceptable in this day and age 😞

• Like 2

This makes us appreciate the "Swimming with Dolphins" experience in New Zealand (different cruise line).

We were in a large bay, and the little boat kept moving around to "find" the dolphins.  Whether the humans actually swim with the dolphins is "up to the dolphins", as they are free-living.  I think most excursions are fortunate, as was ours.  Fortunately, some dolphins arrived in the area, swimming around us, but not too close.  Several people in wetsuits (included in the excursion) went into the water, and soon, there were some dolphins closer.  They didn't get "very" close, but there they were!

I was one of two cruise passengers who remained on the boat, but DH was in the water.  BTW, in that area, the water is *COLD*.  There were a bunch of mild shrieks as the swimmers landed in the water! 😉 

[Another excursion company at a different port apparently puts warm water into each wet suit just before the person goes into the water.  It was a much larger boat, and more participants, but they cancelled for some undisclosed reason, so this was the next best choice.  How much that helps... I have no idea.]

We joked about whether the people were watching the dolphins or the dolphins were watching the people! 😀  I'm guessing a bit of each!

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Off on Riviera over Christmas and I was perusing the excursions O is offering. 

Am rather shocked and dismayed that they are offering trips that include captive dolphin experiences at a marine park in the Dom Rep. 

@Jancruz please can you make it known to whoever needs to hear it that this is not acceptable in this day and age 😞

O also offers this option in Costa Maya, just as gross.  Also, O charges a 300% markup over just walking over from the pier and buying it direct.  So, they are not just offering it, they are profiteering off this disgraceful practice.  

3 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

O also offers this option in Costa Maya, just as gross.  Also, O charges a 300% markup over just walking over from the pier and buying it direct.  So, they are not just offering it, they are profiteering off this disgraceful practice.  

I am really upset over this 😞 It’s just not on in this day and age 😞

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ToxM said:

I am really upset over this 😞 It’s just not on in this day and age 😞

Talk to the shore excursion desk about this while you are on the cruise. I doubt it will do any good though since O is making fortune off the gullible pax who would book this kind of excursion. I agree with you, shame on Oceania. An example of corporate greed and hypocrisy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Talk to the shore excursion desk about this while you are on the cruise. I doubt it will do any good though since O is making fortune off the gullible pax who would book this kind of excursion. I agree with you, shame on Oceania. An example of corporate greed and hypocrisy.

I think I will wait til the end of cruise online questionnaire and maybe the mid cruise feedback. The excursion desk people get enough flack. 

I am absolutely shocked they have this though. It’s terrible. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ToxM said:

I think I will wait til the end of cruise online questionnaire and maybe the mid cruise feedback. The excursion desk people get enough flack. 

I am absolutely shocked they have this though. It’s terrible. 

I'd love this to be brought up at the next shareholders meeting, but the feedback questionnaires are a good thought.  I'll be doing so in January.

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

People  book these  excursions 

just stop booking them

Stop buying product you disagree with

I think with animal cruelty we can be a little more proactive then just not buying a product. Getting the attention of folks like Frank Del Rio would not be a bad start.

Edited by shepherd really
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1