Help me choose an Australian Cruise Line please

galaga_girl

I am Australian but have only ever cruised with Disney before.

I have a Disney Alaskan Cruise in Sep 2023 but my Sister has asked that I go on an Australian cruise with her and our kids in around March - May 2023

I haven't used any other cruiseline before. We can't do the pacific because she doesn't have passports and the expense is too great for her and the kids.

So there will be Myself and my two kids (4 and 7) and my Sister and her one child (12)

We would have to get two cabins, I'd prefer balcony but think the price might scare her off so may have to settle for Inside.

I am looking at Royal Caribbean or Princess, both seem to be the same sort of pricing but unsure what to go with? There is also Carnival and P&O - something about P&O just turns me off just by looking at it.

We aren't after a "party ship" something more where we can relax but the kids can still have fun - go to kids clubs etc - and most important is included food/beverages. I don't want to have to pay a lot for additional expenses.

What would you recommend??

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Have you discovered the board here for Australia and New Zealand cruisers?  That would be the best place to ask about cruises in your part of the world.  EM

An excellent recommendation. 

OP - welcome to cruise critic! In case you haven't found that forum yet (it does take a while to locate all the information available on cruise critic): https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/

The Australian board here on CC is a great recommendation, especially because you said, " We can't do the pacific because she doesn't have passports and the expense is too great for her and the kids."

US cruisers have little idea about Oz arrangements for sailings in your area.  We have special ID requirements/allowances for what are called closed loop cruises wherein travel without a passport is allowed.  Does anything like that exist in Oz?  It may be that you will be forced to get passports for more of your party than you know.  Hope not.  Still, this is a place to start, even before you select a cruise line.

Honestly, IMO the main lines are more similar than they are different. So pick one with an itinerary that looks interesting and enjoy the cruise.

P&O is ok for the price, but definitely the cheap and cheerful option.  I've been on two and have enjoyed them, but you absolutely get what you pay for.

I have not been on Carnival before, but their thing seems to be the parties and drinking. So if that is your scene, go ahead.

I've been on several Princess cruises before (Alaska, New Zealand, Asia) and in fact will go again out of Sydney to New Zealand in January. They have a more relaxed, classic cruising style - no water slides, dodgem cars or big parties. I've always found the Princess kids clubs to be excellent.

I've not done HAL, but I believe they've got a similar vibe to Princess.

I've also not done RCI but I have my first two RCI cruises in 2023 out of Europe. Their deal seems to be the big impressive ships with lots of features. 

Bear in mind also that Mar-May is right on the tail end of the Australian cruising season, so many of the ships that visit only in our summer will be gone. From what I can tell, the ships that are sailing out of Australia, ONLY to Australian ports between Mar-May 2023 are:

Carnival Splendor (Sydney)
Grand Princess (Melbourne)
Coral Princess (Fremantle)
Queen Mary 2 (Sydney)
Queen Elizabeth (Adelaide)
Ovation of the Seas (Sydney)
Quantum of the Seas (Brisbane)
Pacific Explorer (Fremantle)
Majestic Princess (Sydney, Adelaide, Fremantle)