Banking

DavidJL39

I am trying to make a bank transfer to pay the deposit for a cruise booked with Hurtigruten UK.

The bank account into which they want me to pay is (not unreasonably) based in Norway. My own, British- Based bank is telling me that they cannot confirm the identity of the account quoted by Hurtiguten’s office. 

Should I risk making the payment? 

15 hours ago, DavidJL39 said:

Should I risk making the payment? 

Have you received an invoice from Hurtigruten?

If the IBAN NUMBER or SWIFT codes are correct, there is no risk - I have IBAN: N093 5082 05 12100 and SWIFT: DNBANOKK on my invoice from a few years ago.  
Personally, I prefer to pay by credit card.  Ask Hurtigruten to send a link to credit card payment.

It's best to pay by credit card if possible. If there are problems you will be able to make a claim under section 75 against the card provider within the set figures, but if you pay by bank transfer you lose this protection.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul S said:

It's best to pay by credit card if possible. If there are problems you will be able to make a claim under section 75 against the card provider within the set figures, but if you pay by bank transfer you lose this protection.

In the US we never use bank transfers (except for large amounts).  But the same rule applies comparing credit card vs debit card payments.  Also there are many US credit cards that offer rebates, which few if any debit cards do.  So we Yanks are well advised to find the best credit card deals [FYI Citi Costco Visa gives 3% back on all travel – if you're a Costco member; Barclays Arrival gives 2.1% back on travel; and CapitalOne Quicksilver gives 1.5% back – all with no annual fee or foreign transaction fees].

• Like 1