Australia Newbie

Lunur

Hi, Taking my first cruise to Australia and SP Islands. Traveling from US. If I have read correctly, I need a VISA in addition to my US Passport. It looks like there are more than one option to choose from. I want to make sure I do it correctly. Any advice and information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

With an US passport, you will probably be eligible for an Australian electronic travel authority (ETA). This link gives you the information you will need.  How to obtain an Australian ETA

Note you will need to download the Australian ETA app available for either an iPhone or android.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

Possum gave you a great link to the proper Australian authority.

If you just Google "Australian ETA", the first few links will probably give you 3rd party service providers.  Mist WILL get you your ETA,  but for a much higher cost than the "proper" website.

It is very straight forward. 

As for your pacific islands, I can't comment. These tend to be sovereign nations, with their own rules.

Whilst Australians may probably come and go as they please,  other passports may have other rules.

I'd check each island/country individually. 

• Thanks 1

For the the Pacific islands that cruises from Australia normally go to - Fiji. New Caledondia and Vanuatu, tourist visas for US passport holders are not normally required. But in saying that please check the official government webpages for the islands you are visiting.

This is what the official New Caledonia visa and customs website says - New Caledonia travel 

Cruise ship stopover
Passengers are exempt from the visa requirement if they meet one of the following criteria:

they hold a valid residence permit issued by a Member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland
or they hold a valid residence permit issued by Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Canada, Japan and the United States of America authorising readmission to these States
or they hold a valid visa issued by a French authority for another part of the territory of France.

Passengers arriving on board a cruise ship from Australia or New Zealand are exempt from visa requirements regardless of their nationality and provided they leave on board the ship.

Vanuatu Travel