Back to Back or 2 different Cruise ships?

drsel

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

If I had a week to spend in Hamburg, I would make make my way to Kiel or Brunsbeuttel and take a cruise through the Kiel Canal.  EM

Is that 99 km as scenic as cruising through the Norwegian fjords?

Edited by drsel

If we had a week, we would probably rent a car and explore the region.  Another possibility would be to take the train or drive to Berlin for a few days.  Hamburg is a nice city but we would not want to spend a week in that place.

Hank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

If we had a week, we would probably rent a car and explore the region.  Another possibility would be to take the train or drive to Berlin for a few days.  Hamburg is a nice city but we would not want to spend a week in that place.

Hank

Agreed -- other than London, Paris, Rome and New York, few cities would wear well for a real out-of-towner for more than three days

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hamburg will be our base city for day trips to Lubeck, Bremen, Wismar, Schwerin, Lunebeck.

We will also be spending 6 nights in Berlin (after the last Cruise) and doing 2 --3 day trips to Potsdam, Leipzig and Dresden

Do you have the link where I can book tickets for a 96 km Cruise through the Kiel canal, starting & ending in Kiel?

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Hamburg will be our base city for day trips to Lubeck, Bremen, Wismar, Schwerin, Lunebeck.

We will also be spending 6 nights in Berlin (after the last Cruise) and doing 2 --3 day trips to Potsdam, Leipzig and Dresden

Do you have the link where I can book tickets for a 96 km Cruise through the Kiel canal, starting & ending in Kiel?

No clue about booking a cruise through the canal.  We once transited that canal on the Prinsendam.  My memory is waking up as we entered the canal with a loud "Oompah" Band playing outside my porthole (the band later came aboard to put on a concert.  What is interesting is that the Prinsendam had a beam of 32.3 meters and the canals maximium was 32.5,  When we were in locks it felt like being in a floating coffin.  When we were low in the locks all you saw were dark walls.

Hank

I have never transited the Kiel Canal - it's on my bucket list - but  used to follow ships through the canal via portcams and bridgecams.  It looked pretty interesting.  Sadly, there are few cruise ships left small enough for the trip.  But in watching the cams it was obvious there were multiple excursion boats.  EM

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I have never transited the Kiel Canal - it's on my bucket list - but  used to follow ships through the canal via portcams and bridgecams.  It looked pretty interesting.    But in watching the cams it was obvious there were multiple excursion boats.  EM

https://www.sfk-kiel.de/en/cruises/fjord/

Is this the excursion boat you are referring to?

That looks more like a harbor/fjord excursion.  It doesn’t sound like it goes very far into the canal, if at all.  There are locks at both ends of the canal, and like at the Panama Canal, there are old locks, and older locks.  You should Google for the history.  The cams that have been at the locks are at the newer of the locks.  EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

That looks more like a harbor/fjord excursion.  It doesn’t sound like it goes very far into the canal, if at all.  

So how and where to book tickets on the excursion boat that sails through the entire canal?

On 12/8/2022 at 9:40 AM, Essiesmom said:

You are going to have to ask Mr. google, or research on the Ports of Call board for Germany.  EM

Google says there are no local ferries giving joyrides through the Kiel canal from one end to the other (96km).

Only this is available    https://www.sfk-kiel.de/en/cruises/fjord/

www.whatsinport.com also has a list of all Kiel attractons (attached herewith) but no mention of a boat ride or cruise through the Kiel canal

stadtplan_rueckseite_englisch.pdf

Edited by drsel

I saw 2 videos of Hapag Lloyd Europa & Azamara Pursuit going through the Kiel canal.

From the videos it appears that these cruise ships were the main attraction, not the Kiel canal.

There is nothing much to see except the locks opening, greenery on both banks & a railway bridge.

I think the Rhine cruise is much better