Oceania - Polynesia : Anyone been with them

dandee2

We've been to Polynesia a few times (Wind Spirit, then a few time by ourselves). We wanted to go to the Marquesa an Fakarava. Anyone been to Polynesia with Oceania ? We're in our mid-50 and active. What type of passengers should we expect. Thanks a lot :-)

We have been on Marina once and Paul Gauguin twice.  On Marina, we sailed to both Fakarava and Nuku Hiva (overnight).  We loved the trip on Oceania, however, Marina was sailing less than capacity, maybe 850ish passengers and it really did overwhelm the smaller ports.  The R ships are sailing there now with 650 full so still a lot of people for places like Fakarava Rangaroa and Nuku Hiva where there is little tourist infrastructure.  PG and Windstar are so much smaller that even the small islands have capacity for everyone.

On the other hand, having all the O facilities was fantastic and nice to come back to at the end of the day.  (PG does include 5 items of laundry pp every day which is handy when doing water activities and everything is covered in salt spray) We booked our excursions independently on both lines and all of them were great.  I would do either line again in a heartbeat as it is a fantastic vacation.  We sail then spend a week on island. 

The age range on O was a bit younger than usual but not by much, I would say most were in 50’s and 60’s.  The vast majority were snorkeling with many diving so a fairly active crowd.

The only reason we sailed PG last time (this past September) was that we wanted to go to the Cook Islands during whale season.  That only happens in the fall when O is not sailing in that region.  Swimming next to humpback whales is a pretty amazing experience, however, the occasional tiger shark hanging around in the deep blue eyeing you up is a little unnerving.

Hope this helps!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Another cruise line to consider for this area is Windstar.  They have the old Seabourn 'sisters,' but also their own Sailing ships which many fans say provide the best experience in this area.  Check out the Windstar forum here on CC.

We did Wind Spirit in Tahiti in 2017 (amazing). For 2024 we checked PG, Aranui, etc and O seems to have pricing (and # of days) closer to what we wish this time around. If the demographic for O at this destination is similar to WS, then we're happy. Snorkling, hiking, cycling and jetskying is our thing :-)

For "the more ports the better"  You mentioned you booked excursions independently.  If permitted on CC, could you indicate which companies you used.  We will be on Regatta next year and would like recommendations from someone who has done independent excursions.  Thanks very much.

We booked our excursions independently on both lines and all of them were great.  

@netpj if you're trying to get someone's attention for a reply, type @ then keep typing with the beginning of their CC screen name.  A drop-down menu will offer some member name suggestions – highlight the one you mean and you will get a blue lozenge like the one at the beginning of this post.  That will send the poster an alert that someone has mentioned them.  [You can also quote their post, but this method chews up less screen real estate.]

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HilsTas said:

@Host Jazzbeauwell, thank you! - I often wondered how to do that.

13 minutes ago, netpj said:

Thanks very much Host Jazzbeau!

I had to ask myself, so I'm happy to pass it on!

And yes, it is permitted to recommend tour guides [just not travel agents]

Sure, I’m kind of a vacation email packrat so I saved the emails.

This is assuming you are going to Society Islands and Marquesas as I don’t think O goes to Cook islands except occasionally on trans Pacifics.

Fakarava, Ato Lissant. fakaravaexplorer@hotmail.com. We went to the Blue Lagoon and snorkeling. 

Rangaroa, http://www.yakaplongeerangiroa.com/.  Snorkeling, watch the tides, if you go when the tide is coming in, you can snorkel tiputa pass.  If the tide is going out, it is impossible as it is a very strong tide and you would end up way out at sea. It is really something.  The number one shark photography spot in the world.  We also rented bicycles in the morning as we snorkeled in the afternoon to catch the tide.  Bikes were near the pier on the left.

Nuku Hiva. Richard Deanne.  Excellent Island tour.  I organized the tour so road in the car with Richard.  Many of the drivers do not speak English.  temarama.tour@hotmail.fr

Moorea, Alberts transport., we rented a car and drove around the island went to the lagoonarium to snorkel.  gvaitiare@albert-transport.net. Alberts also has an island tour that is really good, the pineapple plantation is stunning, all terraced up the mountains, the lookouts are spectacular too.   If you have two days do both or…..

Also in Moorea, we used Moorea expedition for whale swim, just ok but can’t compare to Aitutaki, but they have snorkel tours too.  The owner/guide is from Moorea but lived in Idaho for awhile.  Great guy.

In Bora Bora, we did Patrick’s tour last time which was fun.  Full day snorkeling and Motu picnic.  We booked it through the PG as he has a contract with PG and cannot book their passengers independently.  The Motu Picnic is right new to the Four Seasons https://maohinuiborabora.com/aboutus/ 

There are many options in Bora Bora.  We had our own boat and driver a few times but we stay in Bora Bora pre or post cruise and the hotel books it for us so I don’t know the name of the company.  Their pricing was comparable to what I was seeing online.  There are many options online.  If you go with another couple, your own boat is not more than Patrick’s tour.

Also on Bora Bora, there is an Avis by the dock and some great hikes if you want to drive around the island.

Huahine, Marc’s tour was great.  reservation@huahine-nautique.com  Our guides were two hysterical sisters.  We laughed all day.  One was named Vera, I’m not sure of the other.  Another group booked Bruno’s tour and they were a no show.  We did snorkeling and an island tour..

On Tahiti, we rented a car from Hertz, once you get out of town, Tahiti is beautiful.  Tahiti Iti has a great lookout and teapuhoo is worth a visit.  We circumvented the Island.  The first time we were there, we stayed on Bora Bora precruise and our O flight was late night, this was before United flew there so limited flight options, much better now.  After we rented the car and drove around the island, we checked into a cheap hotel room in Papeete to shower and change then had dinner at the food trucks at the pier before our flight.  They are great.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps planning.

Oh wait, the new Hilton is nice, not the St Regis or anything like that, but 5 min from town, the pier and a good pre or post stay in Papeete.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, netpj said:

@the more ports the better Thanks very much for taking the time to post such a helpful response.  There is lots for us think about as we start planning.  

We used many of the same guides as @the more ports the betterand had a great time. The only advice I would give is that they book up early so don't wait. 

Dear NETPJ:

We stayed in Papeete for three days prior to our Papeete to Darwin cruise (on Regatta) in November 2022.  We stayed at the La Tahiti by Pearl Resorts.  It was approx.  a 15 mins. drive to downtown but the facility, the beach and the restaurant were all excellent.  The Thursday night show was spectacular.  We used the Cultural Tour with an Archaeologist on Huahine from Oceania and it was fair but very expensive for a museum visit and guided hike.  I would not recommend it.  The food and service on Regatta were outstanding.

Joel Barry

Thanks @Cape Hernlopen.  We will be on Regatta in March 2024, for 42 days sailing from Sydney to New Zealand, then through the South Pacific to Hawaii and finishing in LA.  These days it's never too early to start planning so all advice is greatly appreciated.  We are longtime Oceania passengers and although we know their shore excursions are expensive we were really surprised on a recent cruise by what seems even more of an increase in prices so thought we would look more at doing our own thing - we'll see how it goes.  Of course being Canadian and purchasing in US dollars does not help the equation given the dismal exchange rate!

• Like 1

netpj, I’m glad to help.  CC has always been great help for me in travel planning.  It’s good to know I contribute too.

We are on Regatta in Feb 2025 Auckland to Singapore so you all will have to let us know what to see in AU and NZ once you sail!  Our experience is, fly in, go to meetings, fly home that evening.  Not at all exciting.

Caperherlopen, any pointers for Darwin, Komodo, and the North Coast would be great too.  Never too early to start a trip folder.

Thanks, we’ll be in Singapore in May this year too.  Sailing Singapore to Dubai on Nautica.  After many trips there for work seeing absolutely nothing but clients, we spent one day there pre cruise in 2015 and went sightseeing.  This year we have three days at Marina Sands.  I know it’s touristy but I’m kind of excited!  Any suggestions?  We went to the waterfront, Chinatown and Gardens by the Bay.  That’s all we had time for.

10 hours ago, netpj said:

Thanks @Cape Hernlopen.  We will be on Regatta in March 2024, for 42 days sailing from Sydney to New Zealand, then through the South Pacific to Hawaii and finishing in LA.  These days it's never too early to start planning so all advice is greatly appreciated.  We are longtime Oceania passengers and although we know their shore excursions are expensive we were really surprised on a recent cruise by what seems even more of an increase in prices so thought we would look more at doing our own thing - we'll see how it goes.  Of course being Canadian and purchasing in US dollars does not help the equation given the dismal exchange rate!

We were onboard the Regatta in Jan/Feb 2020 from Sydney to Auckland and loved it!  Hope to cruise French Polynesia in the future. In our research, we found excellent information on the CC Australia & New Zealand ports of call forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/48-australia-amp-new-zealand/ and then our roll call. There is a Pacific Island forum as well: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/62-pacific-islands-all/. Always enjoy the research/planning part of travel. Happy to answer any questions.