Dressing for main dinning?

marc_b2001

We got off Celestyal Crystal a couple of weeks ago and they were turning away people at the main dining room that had on shorts (except for some children).  Short sleeve shirts were find as long as they had a collar on them.  I wore a polo type shirt several nights.

The buffet restaurant was good for shorts and t-shirts.

Stan

On 12/6/2022 at 11:16 PM, marc_b2001 said:

How strict is Celestyal about wearing long shorts (Bermuda shorts) and short sleeve shirts in the main dinning room? And is a suit and tie necessary for Gala night and Captains cocktail?

Thanks!!!

I would never expect seeing a discussion on the dress code on an International ship like this.  

When traveling internationally, a dress code is not suggestions, like say on Carnival where anything goes.  They truly expect you to follow it.  Also watch out for the ports where if you go certain places, wearing shorts will not be permitted.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, thekidsandi said:

I leave in a few weeks to cruise on the Celestyal Crystal and have not been able to find anything regarding their dress code. Can anyone point me in the right direction so that I pack what I need to be able to eat in the dining room?

Please don't take this harshly, but dressing on a cruise like this is basically asking for you to dress like an adult that is not from the USA.  Most people on this type of cruise will not need to ask such a question.  

T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. In addition, shorts and flip-flops are not permitted during the evening hours.

• Like 1

Your response was not helpful. I am from the US and know how to dress like an adult. I have been on many cruises but not on Celestyal, so I know how to dress on a cruise. I was just looking for some specific information on how formal they are looking for. Clearly I am not "most people". I just asked a question. If you can't answer without insulting, don't answer.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, thekidsandi said:

Your response was not helpful. I am from the US and know how to dress like an adult. I have been on many cruises but not on Celestyal, so I know how to dress on a cruise. I was just looking for some specific information on how formal they are looking for. Clearly I am not "most people". I just asked a question. If you can't answer without insulting, don't answer.

Well, I have experience both in the main stream lines in the USA, and international trips, and I can assure you, I have a hundred stories to tell about how I witnessed people get turned away because of the simple idea that a dress code on a ship, is enforced when not in the USA.  The webpage does give you what you should be wearing plus it is assumed that adults will wear long pants, and collared shirts or button down shirts unless it is formal and ladies will wear matching appropriate clothing for women.  Shorts and t-shirts are not permitted. The ships do have alternative dining if you don't want to be "formal" on formal night.  I personally will have a jacket and tie on because that is what the definition is.  

On our seven-night cruises we host Gala Night and the Captain's Cocktail in honor of our guests, and we ask that you attend in formal attire: a cocktail dress or something smart for the ladies, jacket and tie for the men.

Edited by Joseph2017China
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just returned from Celestyal Crystal's 3 Continent cruise and I can assure anyone who is concerned, that they do not turn guests away from the dining room for wearing anything other than shorts. Even at the Gala Night, where many were in nice dresses and dress shirts, there were just as many in jeans and t-shirts, and no one was asked to change clothes or eat elsewhere.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thekidsandi said:

I just returned from Celestyal Crystal's 3 Continent cruise and I can assure anyone who is concerned, that they do not turn guests away from the dining room for wearing anything other than shorts. Even at the Gala Night, where many were in nice dresses and dress shirts, there were just as many in jeans and t-shirts, and no one was asked to change clothes or eat elsewhere.

I know you are trying to make a point that wearing shorts and a t-shirt was acceptable on a night the is specifically requested that you dress up, but it was not widespread as you said, but rather a small few that just want to dress like teens.  Look, all the European cruises I have been on, the dress by the majority is not the same as a cruise out of Florida on Carnival.  So glad you were not turned away, but your choice of clothes on the cruise is only a reflection of you, and not the majority.  In my travels, I have seen many people get turned away from certain events, including places off a ship because  and the best advice for anyone is simply follow dress codes, and avoid the embarrassment of being turned away.  

I'm not here to argue with you, but offer the other point of view, and than others can make the decision of dressing nice when asked and appropriate, or ignoring it, and hope for the best.  

• Like 1

My point was to give up-to-date, accurate information for anyone who is interested. I enjoy dressing up when visiting the dining room for dinner, so what others do does not affect my enjoyment of the evening or my decision on what to wear. I spoke to a ship officer and several dining room staff who confirmed that Celestyal's dress code has changed since the cruising restart. They suggest smart attire, but do not require anything other than long pants. I did not say that shorts were allowed in the dining room. I specifically said guests were turned away for wearing shorts. I understand you have extensive European cruse experience, but Celestyal is not a high-end European cruise line and has a different guest profile. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2023 at 10:49 AM, thekidsandi said:

My point was to give up-to-date, accurate information for anyone who is interested. I enjoy dressing up when visiting the dining room for dinner, so what others do does not affect my enjoyment of the evening or my decision on what to wear. I spoke to a ship officer and several dining room staff who confirmed that Celestyal's dress code has changed since the cruising restart. They suggest smart attire, but do not require anything other than long pants. I did not say that shorts were allowed in the dining room. I specifically said guests were turned away for wearing shorts. I understand you have extensive European cruse experience, but Celestyal is not a high-end European cruise line and has a different guest profile. 

I appreciate the information you shared, especially since it was served without a side of judgment or insult. 

It looks like the Gala or Captain's events are only for 7-night or longer cruises. We're doing the 4-night, which I imagine is even more low-key since people are really there to island-hop. 

From what I can tell, the dress code online doesn't even mention no shorts in the main dining room. However, I think I saw that information somewhere else so need to double check. Since we are doing a short cruise in August, ideally we'd like to not have to bring a sports coat. If I understand you correctly, that really won't be a necessity, correct? 

image.thumb.png.3b4c08faaf9203e8b945bfd889e50d70.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...