Mexican Citizen (with US greencard) requirements for cruise to Mexico?

juanarcin

I posted this in the port of call thread but am adding here because our trip is this Saturday and we are stressing out because we cant find answers!

I'm taking a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Panorama out of Long Beach and can't get a straight answer regarding my Mother in law's travel requirements. She is a:

• Mexican Citizen with a Mexican issued passport
  • permanent US resident
  • has a Green Card

When filling out our online check-in it asked what documents she had and we put green card. It then asked for her Visa information, which she doesnt have. It showed her status as pending. The rest of us are all set and ready to board. We called Carnival who told us to contact the consulate for proper documentation requirements. Couldnt find a number for the consulate but found a form online which only has option to enter by land, also Puerto Vallarta isnt an option. I'm so lost at this point! Has anyone had experience with this? Our cruise is this Saturday! any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have no special knowledge to help you.  It seems odd that they would ask for a visa from someone who is a permanent resident.   I wonder what would happen if you listed Mexican passport under the document section.  

I did find the following quote (but not from an official gov't site, so don't rely on it):

"Those who have obtained a lawful permanent resident status in the U.S. are not required to carry a visa if they wish to visit Mexico".  

I hope someone more knowledgable than me chimes in.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

Have you tried going back and just putting in her Mexican passport.  That is valid for entry into the US and Mexico.  

As a US citizen I regularly start a cruise in other countries and this is no different 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

My cruise check-in background experience is for passengers traveling to Alaska (with a mandatory stop in Canada).  On a closed loop cruise, the US Permanent Resident Card trumps the Mexican passport (and any/all other passports as well).  Your MIL should present her US 'Green Card' along with her Mexican passport to the check-in agent.  Once the check-in agent sees the current/valid Green Card, check-in will be a breeze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

My cruise check-in background experience is for passengers traveling to Alaska (with a mandatory stop in Canada).  On a closed loop cruise, the US Permanent Resident Card trumps the Mexican passport (and any/all other passports as well).  Your MIL should present her US 'Green Card' along with her Mexican passport to the check-in agent.  Once the check-in agent sees the current/valid Green Card, check-in will be a breeze.

Thank you so much! We can now sleep easy! 😊

• Like 2