Got to love it when Royal cancels your cruise

GCS2000

10 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Will you get anything from Royal for changing your cruise?  

Cruise is price protected if I choose 1 of the 3 options (one was a lesser cruise) the other 2 were the same cruise different sail date.

Supposed to get $100 OBC but I haven't gotten it as of yet even though everything else has been changed in Royal's system.

The other part is "supposed" they will cover up to $400 in transportation change fees as well.  Not sure how or if I will get that since my flight cost went down due to a change in class.  If I stayed same class but moved dates flights would have been another $5000 and I wasn't doing that.

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean International does not typically consider Full Ship Charter requests within 12 months of the requested sail date and/or for those sailings booked above a pre-determined threshold. Charter should be planned at least a year in advance. Most clients charter one year in advance and some as far out as two or more years.

For Re-Sale charters, it is in the best interest of the client to allow ample time to promote the charter (13 months+). The cost of displacing booked guests will be a factor for any “open” sailing and will generally be lower if the charter is contracted farther out.

19 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

It doesn't sound like they are comping much in this case.   $100 OBC?   That is an insult not a comp.   

I agree.  In their eyes they think the price protection to change is the comp.  They honestly would have preferred I just take a refund seeing as I didn't pay a lot for the cruise and ALL cruise prices are far more expensive now then when I booked this one.  Guess I should be thankful I was at least given the chance to move.  Not entirely thrilled with the deal but it was better than zero or a flat cancel and refund which is what I expected they would do.

On 12/8/2022 at 1:00 PM, JennyB1977 said:

Did you purchase insurance? Does insurance even cover this? I'm truly sorry.

This would not be covered by insurance because there is no financial loss to reimburse. 

The cruise line will refund the cruise fare, the airline will issue a credit that can be used for another flight. Excursions can be canceled. The only possible loss is the hotel, but hotel reservations paid in advance are usually refundable this far out. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

It doesn't sound like they are comping much in this case.   $100 OBC?   That is an insult not a comp.   

Agree, all the hassle with multiple hotel changes, the Paris side trip, flight changes, having to downgrade aircraft seats, all the hassle with rebooking excursions and the major problems of getting time of work changed, especially for your daughter with a new job. 

I think they should substantially reimburse you with an awful lot more. I'm sure they can reclaim it from the charter company for their late charter booking. IMO it shows a disregard for their clients.

Is there any chatter from your roll call or FB site for your cruise from other pax who have been canx?

Edited by sgmn

29 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Agree, all the hassle with multiple hotel changes, the Paris side trip, flight changes, having to downgrade aircraft seats, all the hassle with rebooking excursions and the major problems of getting time of work changed, especially for your daughter with a new job. 

I think they should substantially reimburse you with an awful lot more. I'm sure they can reclaim it from the charter company for their late charter booking. IMO it shows a disregard for their clients.

Is there any chatter from your roll call or FB site for your cruise from other pax who have been canx?

Honestly I hadn't even thought about that.  Once we got the email I just immediately went into travel planner mode and started trying to figure out how to make things happen.  Once it looked like the cruise on the 6th would work I just straight started getting it done and then got final confirmation from my daughter today so the work I had done was fine.

Was it worth it - not really as it has eaten up at least 8-10 hours of my time and I am still not done since the Paris portion of their trip our hotel was not available for and the other 3 backups we had in mind weren't either.  Not a massive concern as there are plenty of hotels in Paris of course and they only are there for a few days before heading to Rome for the cruise and just need a place to crash and shower.  I'll get it figured out.

I do agree that they are giving up very little for the trouble they have caused but I am sure their view is we don't care we offered you a full refund so take it or leave it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

This would not be covered by insurance because there is no financial loss to reimburse. 

The cruise line will refund the cruise fare, the airline will issue a credit that can be used for another flight. Excursions can be canceled. The only possible loss is the hotel, but hotel reservations paid in advance are usually refundable this far out. 

All of this is true.  I was able to deal with everything except flight issues.  Cancelling the flights (I did not purchase refundable tickets (wish I had) as they were thousands of dollars more not just a few hundred) so yes I would end up with airline credit.  The issue with that is that it is tied 100% to the people on the tickets and cannot be used by anyone else but them.  It also has to be used by the end of next year.  We have no other plans or needs for airfare for next year (we already have flights for our Ireland trip in May) but would need some in 2024 for Iceland but it would only be good for my wife and my daughter's credit would not be used.

Because of this I had to work within whatever Delta had to offer at whatever prices.  I ended up changing the flights 3 separate times yesterday and then late last night managed to work things out for a better deal by just cancelling everything and rebooking all new flights.  Had to downgrade the flights for the trip back home but that was it.  I have some credit still to use (and may go to waste) so hopefully a flight upgrade will fall into place over the next few months or ones with better flight times/layovers (these aren't terrible though).

The only things I got dinged on really were cost for the flight from Paris to Rome before the cruise was more ($80) and the hotel in Rome went up as they are staying there 3 days now instead of just one like before.  Paris hotel may cost more when I am finally booked but I will just deal with it.

All in all this could have been a lot worse and in truth I was expecting to be.  It cost me some anxiety, headaches and many more hours getting it all done but in the end we aren't losing much so I shouldn't be complaining.  Still doesn't make it right that they did it.

I am just thankful that they can still go and have a good mother daughter trip.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

It was price protection plus the OBC.  We see threads like this on the boards for various lines regularly.  All the major cruise lines charter their ships.  Those who get bumped by these charters are unhappy.  I feel for the OP, but it sounds pretty standard.