Celebrity "Small Group" Tours

Guest 4-2-N-8

Guest 4-2-N-8

On a serious note...

Regarding shore excursions specific to Celebrity (not a debate about other vendors ashore that offer excursions):

"Private Journeys" notwithstanding, ...

For those who have experience with "Small Group" excursions versus just "excursions" (which I presume only difference is larger numbers in the group), how have you enjoyed (or not enjoyed) each?

In reading the fine print on Celebrity's shore excursions, pretty much all itineraries seem identical for "small group" and "regular" group sizes, only difference being size of group.

Is one more fun or better than the other?

TY

Edited by 4-2-N-8

I prefer being in a smaller group because you have better access to the tour guide. However, I have only booked small group tours that do not do the same itinerary as the large groups.

The small group tours seem to fit more in the tour because you are not waiting for 50 people to fill a bus.

As for fun…that totally depends on the guide and the group of people that you are with. 

• Like 3

Guest 4-2-N-8
37 minutes ago, CruiserMickey said:

I prefer being in a smaller group because you have better access to the tour guide. However, I have only booked small group tours that do not do the same itinerary as the large groups.

The small group tours seem to fit more in the tour because you are not waiting for 50 people to fill a bus.

As for fun…that totally depends on the guide and the group of people that you are with. 

TY.

I booked my first small-group tour of 10 with Celebrity for Colombia.  Unfortunately, I had to cancel it due to my DH's health.  Due to not being familiar with the country, I felt like it covered what I wanted to see.  Also, I had tons of OBC, so wanted to use that.  Normally, I am a private tour kinda person!

Guest 4-2-N-8
2 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I booked my first small-group tour of 10 with Celebrity for Colombia.  Unfortunately, I had to cancel it due to my DH's health.  Due to not being familiar with the country, I felt like it covered what I wanted to see.  Also, I had tons of OBC, so wanted to use that.  Normally, I am a private tour kinda person!

TY

We have experienced both and we enjoy both. It is the tour description that attracts us and with that we are not put off by the number of people scheduled to participate. As members of a large X group, we have traveled in concert with a smaller X group to the same destinations. Other than numbers, the only differences might be a meal, a tasting or other amenities that will account for the higher price. 

Naturally, 30 to 40 people are more of a logistics concern than 12 to 16 folks. We have played the waiting game on both. The tour guides can make or break any tour, no matter the circumstances. Unless you just don't like being around a larger number of people for several hours, as a captive audience, disregard the numbers and focus on the itinerary. if you are gregarious, patient and understanding that will work for you while enhancing the overall experience, LARGE or small.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

Guest 4-2-N-8
14 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

We have experienced both and we enjoy both. It is the tour description that attracts us and with that we are not put off by the number of people scheduled to participate. As members of a large X group, we have traveled in concert with a smaller X group to the same destinations. Other than numbers, the only differences might be a meal, a tasting or other amenities that will account for the higher price. 

Naturally, 30 to 40 people are more of a logistics concern than 12 to 16 folks. We have played the waiting game on both. The tour guides can make or break any tour, no matter the circumstances. Unless you just don't like being around a larger number of people for several hours, as a captive audience, disregard the numbers and focus on the itinerary. if you are gregarious, patient and understanding that will work for you while enhancing the overall experience.

Patient? Good. Understanding? Check. Gregarious? My mind says that I am, but others sometimes say that I'm positively annoying (which hurts my feelings). 😄

Edited by 4-2-N-8

7 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Patient? Good. Understanding? Check. Gregarious? My mind days that I am, but others sometimes say that I'm positively annoying (which hurts my feelings). 😄

Hey, if you are going to be annoying, go for the largest audience possible and make it the most worthwhile.

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 minute ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Hey, if you are going to be annoying, go for the largest audience possible and make it the most worthwhile.

Good idea! Who needs private or small groups, when my personality is just too big (and important) to not afford everyone access to my awesomeness. 

Gracious of you to point out just how valuable I really can be, not even just for a tour group, but for the entire ship.

In fact, I'll probably need my own show a few nights on each cruise.

We did a small group on one of our first X cruises in Naples.  Their idea of small group was 24 people in a full size bus.  We did get a couple of what I think were extras, though.  At Pompeii we got a bottle of water and VR headsets that were kind of fun.

We have done three small group tours this year liked them but...the first one they had 3 groups on 3 small buses each with about 20 people per group we all went on the same tour. The second was a small bus but 24 people the third was 30 in our group so none were really a small group. Really perfer booking my our tours with people from roll call maybe 8 people max.

Guest 4-2-N-8
12 minutes ago, southernbreezes said:

We have done three small group tours this year liked them but...the first one they had 3 groups on 3 small buses each with about 20 people per group we all went on the same tour. The second was a small bus but 24 people the third was 30 in our group so none were really a small group. Really perfer booking my our tours with people from roll call maybe 8 people max.

Aha! The old "divide & conquer" switcheroo!

Edited by 4-2-N-8

21 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

None of the tours or sizes mentioned meet my difinition of small. No real difference between any of these sizes - you still trail behind the guide, have no choice over the itinerary and no say as to when/where you stop for a break.

We choose a truly private guide with a vehicle that holds 6 but we restrict to 4 or, occasionally, a vehicle that holds 8/10 but we restrict to 6. We agree an itinerary, walk with our guide chatting as we go, the guide adjusts to our pace (my wife uses a 4 wheel Rollator) and we stop in smaller cafes to enjoy a coffee and cake. If we see something we like during the journey we ask the guide to stop. Yes we pay a little more, usually less than 💲15 a person, but it's worth every Cent. We also leave the ship later to avoid the rush and return ahead of the ships tours. 

As always it's all about choice - no right or wrong just choose what's best for you.

We booked a small group (10-12 persons) tour to Herculaneum in Naples.  However a couple days before Celebrity cancelled our tour and we were included for same price in another one which cost a bit more. Never told us why.  But since ship was just at half capacity, we guess they could not fill the tours.  So we ended up in a big bus with about 32 people.

Small groups are really great for cooking excursions (i.e. going to someone's home in the mountains, chocolate making, etc.) A group of 8 or 10 can really get hands on and soak in the culture, etc.

Not sure it would make that big of a difference on say a sightseeing tour...