Is there any advantage or disadvantage to pad trip dates?

crooooze

When getting insurance quotes, I noticed I can add some days before and/or after my trip and it doesn’t increase the premium. Is there any advantage or disadvantage in doing so?

I’m thinking that provides coverage if I need to extend trip for whatever reason.

Also if I get sick a few days before actually leaving, it’s covered.

Is this accurate? or does it not work this way? 

4 hours ago, crooooze said:

When getting insurance quotes, I noticed I can add some days before and/or after my trip and it doesn’t increase the premium. Is there any advantage or disadvantage in doing so?

I’m thinking that provides coverage if I need to extend trip for whatever reason.

Also if I get sick a few days before actually leaving, it’s covered.

Is this accurate? or does it not work this way? 

Hi croooze,

I don't recommend padding the dates because you can always amend the dates prior to leaving on your trip to match your travel dates should they change. It's important that the dates on your policy match your actual travel dates. If not, you are risking a claim denial or a more complicated claim.

If you are delayed returning home for a covered reason, the "Extension of Coverage" benefit will cover you. Read this for more information:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/this-little-known-benefit-is-important/

Steve Dasseos

1 hour ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi croooze,

I don't recommend padding the dates because you can always amend the dates prior to leaving on your trip to match your travel dates should they change. It's important that the dates on your policy match your actual travel dates. If not, you are risking a claim denial or a more complicated claim.

If you are delayed returning home for a covered reason, the "Extension of Coverage" benefit will cover you. Read this for more information:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/this-little-known-benefit-is-important/

Steve Dasseos

Thanks Steve,

I know we asked about this quite some time ago, but just in case there has been any type of change:

Is there *any* way to add extra days (and pay for the extra coverage, of course) at the end of a trip, if we really love where we are and want to stay longer or such?  Or even add another stop on the way home?

I'm asking here instead of by direct email to you, as this question does come up here on CC.

NO way to do this, or maybe a different type of policy than the one we get from Travel Insured??

(Of course, we are reluctant to consider any other insurer, given how terrific TI has been with claims, even some pricy ones...)

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

GC