Boarding times

barriechris

4 minutes ago, barriechris said:

Probably a novice question but how is boarding time determined and when do you find out?  

Hi @barriechris🙂

I'm going to drop some helpful reading info below. Click on the links. 

How To Get Your Boarding Pass

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3318/~/how-to-get-your-boarding-pass

Carnival Online Check-In & Arrival Appointment 

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180/~/online-check-in-and-arrival-appointment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boarding time is determined by LOTS of factors, 95% of which are out of your control.  However, there is one factor IN your control.  Two weeks before your cruise you get to check in and select an ARRIVAL time at port.  When boarding is ready they will go in an established order.  First all the various VIPs get called (suites, diamond, platinum, wedding groups, I don't know what they all are, I don't know the order, just think VIPs...)

The next group is people who've paid for early-ier boarding, that's called faster too the fun (or FTTF around here) and lastly, the "regular people" (that's me, probably you too) will get called in order of scheduled arrival time.  

Sometimes ships get delayed, there were issues getting people off the ship in a timely manner, etc. etc.and even though you have an "arrival time" of 10:30, you may not be on the ship till noon.  But you'll still be on before people who had an 11:30 time. 😁

Have fun!

Edited by deelightfull
Stupid auto correct
  • Like 2

Remember, check in time is Midnight the day your check in opens. You can usually snag a 10am check in time if you are awake at Midnight to grab it. As soon as check in opens, just jump right to check in time, then go back and fill out the rest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

Remember, check in time is Midnight the day your check in opens. You can usually snag a 10am check in time......

True, but then you get to port along with thousands of other folks who want on the ship at the first possible instant, wait in line for the check-in process, sit in the terminal area for an hour or more (usually) until the ship is ready, and then sit in the crowded buffet on the ship for a couple more hours until you can get to your cabin.  It's WAY easier to get a late check-in time (about an hour or so before the final boarding time) and breeze right through check-in with no lines and waltz straight to your cabin.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, asalligo said:

Remember, check in time is Midnight the day your check in opens. You can usually snag a 10am check in time if you are awake at Midnight to grab it. As soon as check in opens, just jump right to check in time, then go back and fill out the rest. 

Midnight Eastern Time, not local time. So, if you are in different Time zone, you don't have to stay up as late. 

4 hours ago, asalligo said:

my check in is this Saturday and I believe I will be setting a midnight alarm for myself based on your comment!  Thank you!!! 😁

• Like 3

On 12/14/2022 at 7:46 AM, asalligo said:

On 12/14/2022 at 9:43 AM, groundloop said:

True, but then you get to port along with thousands of other folks who want on the ship at the first possible instant, wait in line for the check-in process, sit in the terminal area for an hour or more (usually) until the ship is ready, and then sit in the crowded buffet on the ship for a couple more hours until you can get to your cabin.  It's WAY easier to get a late check-in time (about an hour or so before the final boarding time) and breeze right through check-in with no lines and waltz straight to your cabin.

I did not want the 10 am but I didn't want to risk getting the latest time.  I set my alarm yesterday and at 12:20am today I was able to secure the 12-12:30 time which is just perfect for us.  I'm hoping that by the time we get on the boat we can go right to our cabin and then muster and then lunch!

On 12/14/2022 at 9:43 AM, groundloop said:

We like to get on the ship early, go to muster then grab a bite to eat before those lines get long, then explore the ship. No need to sit in a crowded buffet, there are plenty of other places on the ship to check out. We check our luggage and just carry on a backpack so we don't feel the need to go straight to our cabin. But there are different arrival times so everyone can pick what works best for them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just debarked the Pride on Friday. I had a 10am check in time and they let me in the line at 9:40. I was through security and check in and seated by 9:50 and we boarded the ship at 10:37. 

Edited by asalligo

I don't understand why anyone would sit in a crowded buffet waiting. We usually take the earliest arrival available when we check in. After boarding we walk to see the layout of the ship the run by our cabin just to see where it is in relation to everything and sometimes it's ready. We take a small bag with swim suits and flip flops and head to a pool or else a bar and start vacay no waiting around for us. 

Our last cruise in November...on the Vista.. we boarded as early as possible...which was immediately after the V.I.P. priority boarding....went straight to the Lido  buffet...and it was easily the LEAST crowded for a lunch buffet that we saw the entire cruise. It got much more crowded as the late comers came on board...quite a bit in fact. It looked like a zoo at about 12:30. We'll be on the Dream in a couple weeks...using FTTF this time...so you can bet we'll be eatin with the earlies once again...and with our carry ons tucked away in our cabin. 😀