shuttle bus for port of Malaga?

Markanddonna

I hear there is a shuttle bus?

Happy to be corrected by others who have visited more recently, pre-Covid on our visits, the only shuttle buses we could use were the port shuttle buses which ran between ships and the port gate, but that may vary depending on where you ship is docked (some are quite a distance from the gates) and whether or not your line offers shuttles into town as some of them may but others not.

The port entrance/exit gates are very central.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Aplogies.  My DH has advised that on our most recent visit to Malaga, the port shuttle went further than the gates, dropping us at a very  central plaza a couple of minutes drive further into town from the gates.   The port shuttle is a "for fee" shuttle but reasonably priced.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

when last in Malaga on a ship we did the city bus hop on hop off all day ticket. Picked it up at the port gates.  It was good value, compared to some other cities where we ve tried this. as far as I remember there were two routes and you could get off one and continue on the other.  We went out to the botanical gardens. Also possible from centre of Malaga is the light railway which goes along the scenic coast, frequent trains as it serves the airport. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will add that for folks that enjoy long walks it is very simple to walk from the port into the central part of town.  There is a nearby outdoor shopping area with the nearby Pompidou Center.  One can than walk along the shoreline towards the center of town.  It is a nice walk (with plenty of benches) and if the weather is good there will plenty of others enjoying the park-like area and wide walkways.

There are buses between the port and areas closer to the center of town for those that prefer to not walk.

Hank

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 7:53 AM, edinburgher said:

Aplogies.  My DH has advised that on our most recent visit to Malaga, the port shuttle went further than the gates, dropping us at a very  central plaza a couple of minutes drive further into town from the gates.   The port shuttle is a "for fee" shuttle but reasonably priced.

Thank you for the info.

Do you know if the Malaga port shuttle bus operates at 7 am?

I do not think a lot is happening at 7am.  Spain operates on it's own clock and it is a country that tends to open somewhat later (around 10am) and close later.  If you are planning to go anywhere at 7am, just make sure it is open :).  Keep in mind you will be in a country where folks might go out for tapas around 6pm, sit down to dinner at 10pm, etc.  Most shops will operate from about 10-7 and in some parts of the country you will see smaller shops shut down for 2-4 hours in the early afternoon before reopening around 4 or 5.  This is less of an issue in larger cities (such as Malaga) but when traveling around the country it can be very helpful to do some research on the habits of specific towns/cities.

Will the port shuttle operate at 7?  Likely no but we agree that you might want to check with the port.  You can certainly walk out of the port at 7 and stroll into town where you will find some cafes open for breakfast.

Hank

• Like 1

Do you know if the Malaga port shuttle bus operates at 7 am?

Agree you could simply walk out to the main road which borders the port area.  if you are heading further to the train or bus station, (why else would you want to leave that early?)you could also continue to  walk to either or take a taxi for the relatively short distance as they are conveniently located next to each other.

As Hlitner has already said, 0700 is extremely early for Spain, practically the middle of the night.......

Edited by edinburgher

On 1/19/2023 at 6:48 PM, mskaufman said:

Recommend visiting the Alcazaba in Malaga. 

That would be a real tough walk :).  A good way to shed those extra pounds.  We have often noticed folks walking up the road and thought, "they are better persons than us."

Hank

There are buses which go close to it, but even better there is a lift/elevator which goes directly there from close to the seafront park.  ( or there used to be) and we used that.  Finding the street was easy enough, but the actual entrance was a little tricky to find, although we found it eventually, marked by two largeish potted plants on the pavement, one either side of the entrance.   Pre port planning/research  is always good to do!

We were a little disappoointed, but I think that was due to us having previously visited the Alhambra twice and the Alcazaba in Seville once.  Spoiled I know, but athough we knew the one in Malaga was not in the same league,  we had expected it to be more than it was.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

That would be a real tough walk :).  A good way to shed those extra pounds.  We have often noticed folks walking up the road and thought, "they are better persons than us."

Hank

It is a hike.  Wife was there last week.  A cab is an option.

IMG_7987a.thumb.jpg.fe4a92271e46f8fd6cdbe9f12082735e.jpg

On 12/15/2022 at 10:53 AM, edinburgher said:

Some cruise lines pay for the shuttle, so it's free to their cruisers.  In Malaga, I'm just guessing, and it's been a long time since I've been there.  However, I'm thinking our shuttle went to a park that was not far away, with a number of bus stops nearby, and some places to walk to.  I remember taking a public bus from there to the bull ring, up high.  If I saw the location on a map which showed parks, I'd probably recognize it. 

i looked it up and think it could have been Plaza de la Marina, very close to the walkway which passes between the two gardens running parallel to the main road outside the port gates.  There are bus stops there and, i think, a tourist info booth. 

Whatever, it was very convenient.