Peru What is Oceania doing

kibutzer

Though can anyone say they've truly experienced most S. America nations without some ongoing political disturbance or agitation? The smell of tear gas in the morning. Of course, we pray this too comes to pass peacefully. Likely in new elections that will...lead to future disturbances and agitation. (The history of Peru just back to say 1980 quite sad in this area.)

Anyone going to S. America might read Hunter S. Thompson's serious journalism of the continent from 1962-63 when he freelanced from Columbia thur Ecudor, Peru and Bolivia down to Paraguay and then across to Rio for the then National Observer. (Thinking he may have stopped in Buenos Aries or Montevideo, too.) The articles are available on line.

Edited by MEFIowa

We were fortunate to cruise and see ports of Brazil and Chile. Did Galapagos and therefore saw something of Equator and Peru. 

Really wanted to do around the horn and complete the circle and then Covid hit and we cancelled. Cancelled again once Covid abated but my contacts said to hold off. Now I am sure we will not make that journey. 

Be savvy about what is going on in the various South American countries. There is little O can do, except cancel and that brings with it a whole other set of woes. 

This information is from Gate1 tours participants. One person reported that they just flew to Peru to start their tour, spend two days in Lima and were sent back home. Other couple was on the way to airport to fly to Peru when they received the call from Gate1 that their tour was canceled.

Very sad reality but even worse for the people in Peru.

The local news (USA) just has a brief interview with a traveler stuck in Machu Picchu.  She, and others, have run out of medications.  She said a few others needed meds such as blood pressure meds, and they were able to get some there.  However, she said that her med is not available there; she has some in Cusco, but she isn't there, of course, and she's completely out.  They all took enough for a 2 or 3 day excursion or whatever.

This type of thing is always in the back of our minds.  I always take "extra" even on a short excursion, but there is "extra" and there's "extra".  I don't typically think of, say, a week!  More like one day...

One thing that made me start thinking more this was was when there was that emergency when Insignia was at St. Lucia.  I remember how some local aid was trying to get meds for some of the passengers who couldn't get back on the ship even to retrieve essentials.

We may keep a slightly larger supply of anything critical, and even more so if it's something that may be difficult to find locally.

Um, that assumes we ever travel again.  Sigh.

We both are very high risk, and we haven't really gone anywhere since almost exactly 3 years ago, when we returned from an amazing NZ/Australia cruise.

That woman being interviewed said that they had been notified that some helicopters were coming to help evacuate them, but there was a comment after the interview that the helicopter(s?) did not arrive after all.

GC