How difficult is it to get in and out of zodiacs

wwinfl91

We are considering a cruise to Iceland and Scotland on Silverseas newest ship, the Endeavor,which uses zodiacs to take passengers to take passenger on to shore especially in a lot of the small ports we will be visiting. We are in are mid 70's and early 80's but are normally mobile and in decent shape for our ages. Will we have trouble getting in and out of the zodiacs? This is for people who have traveled on smaller expedition style ships. Thanks for help. 

We tried this on Endeavour last year (when it was still the Crystal Endeavor).  I was in my late 70s, in decent shape, but had the same concerns and before going to the Antarctic and trying a Zodiac, I wanted to try one in the Caribbean so the water would be warm if I fell in.  I successfully got in and out of a Zodiac -- with considerable crew help -- but decided that doing it in the Antarctic would have been a very bad idea.  You are wise to be thinking of this.

1 hour ago, Carol From California said:

I have been on a few expedition cruises. The crew will help you get on and off them. It's important to use the sailor's grip. They will show you. How to Board a Zodiac Boat - Bing video

This is a great video, but the music is more in line with a 1960's era Sean Connery helping me onto a zodiac floating in a calm Mediterranean sea as I grip a martini glass...

• Like 1

We were on Silversea Explorer in July in the Kimberleys and we were lucky that the seas were calm so much that Expedition crew commented how lucky we were . Getting in and out yes using the correct grip and with assistance we had no problem but the zodiacs do bob around so it can be a little tricky getting in but out is easier I found .

I actually loved the zodiacs and took every opportunity to go in them .

Jacqui

We had many cruises on the Explorer when I was aged 65 to 73. I have peripheral neuropathy plus severe spinal canal stenosis at L4.

This means I have reduced feelings in my hands and feet . I have also had slowly decreasing power in my arms and legs. I will no longer do expedition cruises as I would be causing too much stress to the incredible staff.

I remember some amazing feats by the gate crew on the Explorer. One was at Cape Dorset in Hudson Bay. It was as flat as a pancake when we went ashore but a gale blew up. I was on the last zodiac back to the ship and the last of the zodiac. It took some time before my turn. The zodiac rose and I gripped the gate crew with both arms when the zodiac suddenly dropped 6 feet. The crew hung on to me until the zodiac rose and I could push off from it and make it back on to the ship. I didn’t feel scared as they had a strong grip and are very strong. At the time I weighed 230 pounds naked.

On another occasion Rojaan had fractured her ankle a few weeks before a cruise and was still in a moon boot. With the help of the Senior Expedition leader she didn’t miss a zodiac excursion.  

On the Explorer’s first cruise of West Africa there was a 90+ woman in a wheelchair. She was able to do some of the zodiac excursions with crew lifting her in and out of zodiacs.

So there are very few who absolutely can’t do an Expedition cruise. The greatest fear is fear itself. 

Edited by drron29
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, wwinfl91 said:

We are considering a cruise to Iceland and Scotland on Silverseas newest ship, the Endeavor,which uses zodiacs to take passengers to take passenger on to shore especially in a lot of the small ports we will be visiting. We are in are mid 70's and early 80's but are normally mobile and in decent shape for our ages. Will we have trouble getting in and out of the zodiacs? This is for people who have traveled on smaller expedition style ships. Thanks for help. 

We are booked on Endeavor in May from London to Iceland.  We have done Expedition cruises in the past on Silver Explorer.  My husband is 81 and has not has any problem with zodiac travel in the past.  The crew is very helpful.  If he feels unsure of the seas or his ability he stays on board.  We enjoy the lectures and the ship experience as much as excursions.  

• Like 1

We were onboard Silver Cloud from Iceland to Scotland this past summer for an expedition cruise.  We had a lot of rough seas, and the zodiacs were challenging, but the crew is amazing helping you in and out. My husband is 75 and in decent shape, but opted out of a few excursions due to the zodiacs. There were also several tiny ports that the dock was either a ladder up or a slick ramp, with no rail.  These were more challenging than the zodiac. 

The other issue with the zodiacs is you will get wet. We had the correct gear, but noticed quite a few people wearing jeans that got soaked. 

If you are moderately mobile you will absolutely fine, we have done several expedition trips to the deep south and have seen the crew help really quite immobile people get on and off the zodiacs, they are incredibly skilled at providing just the right help to ensure that most people can do most of the activities most of the time.   We are in our mid 70s and on our last trip (March this year) we did decline one zodiac trip on a particularly cold and rough water afternoon but this was after an earlier trip out when we had got cold and wet and with the added rough sea we decided not to head out again but to stay in the warm for the remainder of the day.   I suspect boarding and disembarking arrangements may be better on Endeavour than on Explorer and Cloud (the ships we have done expeditions on) making it even easier.   Do not be put off you are both age appropriate an almost certainly ability appropriate too.   Take heed of the advice to ensure you have good gear (waterproof over trousers are good) and good footwear.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 8:32 AM, spinnaker2 said:

I witnessed the crew lift an enormous man into and then out of a zodiac.

If there was trouble I am unsure how the man would fend, but the crew, ever at the ready to please, did assist.

I have seen the crew do this too, and I was really troubled by it. First, I thought it was unfair for the crew to risk injury to themselves. Second, I did not think it was safe for the passenger who was lifted or the other passengers in the zodiac.

• Like 2

I have read this board carefully, and this is my considered comment. We have been on expedition cruises in challenging places on more than one occasion. I am a reasonably fit 75 year old and my husband a super-fit 83 year old. If you can get in and out of a bus, van, low car unassisted, you can zodiac without worry. If you have slight trouble with these normal tasks, ie need a bit of a hand… the excellent mariners will see you safe. For both mentioned groups, you might look as though you will never be a ballerina, but you will be safe. I’m sorry to say that anyone else, although I’m sure they would survive, risk hurting themselves, other passengers or the fine people assisting them.

• Like 6

I was on the cruise you are thinking of in July.  Don't be deterred by having to use Zodiacs at all.  The Silver  sea  crews are absolutely phenomenal in getting people in and out of the Zodiacs without problems.  Just do what they tell you to do.  You use a forearm to forearm grip, not hand to hand, the later is much more secure.  You only need 2 steps, one from the ship to the zodiac  and another from the wide, rubberized zodiac to its surface.  Then you sit down, and scoot your butt down to where they want you.  In the 30 more more transfers I have made from ship to zodiac and vice versa, I have only seen one mishap, it was a macho gentleman who who waved off assistance from the crew and of course landed flat on his ass.  He was lucky.  So the odds- I have watched well over 300 people getting in and out of zodiacs with only one mishap, which was 100% the fault of the passenger.  

By comparison, getting in and out of a vaporetto in Venice is much, much more difficult.  But I have seen, no offense here, little old, very old, ladies jumping in and out of those things with bags of groceries in their arms, when one of those giant cruise ships are going by leaving 4 foot wakes.

Also on the Iceland/Scotland cruise all of the landings are on solid piers or docks.  There are no wet landings or trickier ones on wet rocks.  So don't give it thought.  A favor though.  Bust the Cruise Director if they haven't included a Scotch tasting yet.  I complained vociferously that I took a tour of Scotland and didn't get a chance to taste even a wee dram.  

• Like 1