Looking to do an excursion from cruise port in Melbourne. Would like to see Koalas and Penguin march.

The Australia Zoo (Steve Irwin) is not just about crocs, it is well worth a visit. I don't know if it is included as a cruise tour option as it's a long way from a port IIRC.

I remember a fantastic bird show there a few years back, much better than the Sydney Taronga bird show, which was very good, and way better than a bird show I saw at Memphis Zoo I saw in 2017 which included an an Australian Wedgetail eagle.

57 minutes ago, possum52 said:

For both tram and train you would need a Myki card. Myki Card

You may be able to buy a Myki card inside the cruise ship terminal. I haven't cruised since before Covid from Melbourne so am not sure if they are still doing that. I believe you can also buy a Myki at the tram stop a couple of hundred metres from the pier.

You can still buy a Myki card inside the cruise terminal. Not sure about at the tram stop. The convenience store there which used to sell them is closed I believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boeckli said:

You can still buy a Myki card inside the cruise terminal. Not sure about at the tram stop. The convenience store there which used to sell them is closed I believe.

There is a ticket machine at the tram stop but some people reported that only weekly tickets were available - not sure as we already have Myki cards. It sounds a bit odd though - would have expected a day pass one available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

The Australia Zoo (Steve Irwin) is not just about crocs, it is well worth a visit. I don't know if it is included as a cruise tour option as it's a long way from a port IIRC.

I remember a fantastic bird show there a few years back, much better than the Sydney Taronga bird show, which was very good, and way better than a bird show I saw at Memphis Zoo I saw in 2017 which included an an Australian Wedgetail eagle.

Yes, from Brisbane a tour to Australia Zoo is around 90 minutes on the road each way. If calling in Sydney, Taronga Zoo is only a short ferry ride away from near the cruise passenger terminal. A much easier day than Australia Zoo, unless the lions are on the loose again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2