Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

8 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

Do any of you remember if there is a scanner in the little computer area on the ship?

I believe they were all printers only. However, some of the newer phones act similar to scanners when taking photos and using the edit feature.

4 hours ago, cruising denise said:

There is also a great free app, Turboscan, which will create PDFs with your phone's camera, and easily allow you to send them.

Probably the newer phones have built-in features but considering I just upgraded today from my old iPhone 8 to a 14, I wouldn't know.....😅

Under the Notes app on iPhones is the ability to scan a document.  It's under the camera icon in Notes.  I upgraded from a 7 to a 14, just a little bit of a learning curve!

Maria

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

To anyone from the 22/23 WC, or prior, there is a new overland excursion now posted for Sri Lanka (see below).  Has anyone had experience with this, or know of anyone who does?  It's quite expensive but might be one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences (like a world cruise!) that could be worth the extra expense.  We'd be cancelling $700 total in other excursions if we were to do it.

TIA for any thoughts.....

Sri Lanka Safari Overland

$1,699 Per Person

Day 94  Colombo, Sri Lanka
Saturday, March 23
7:30 AM
2 Days

MODERATE

NATURAL WORLD

SIGHTSEEING

MEAL
In Search of Island Wildlife

Explore the wetlands and scrub jungles of Sri Lanka while on safari in search of intriguing wildlife.

Depart the bustling commercial capital and head south toward Hambantota, your base from which to explore Sri Lanka’s wildlife at one of its leading national parks. Yala National Park is home to large populations of elephants; keep watch for them during an afternoon safari, along with wild buffalo, crocodiles, sloth bears and more. Return to Yala at sunrise and journey through the jungle, passing brackish lagoons in an open air 4x4 vehicle. Your knowledgeable guide will point out various species of migratory birds and animals, and you will have ample opportunity to capture your experience on film. After a hearty breakfast, depart your hotel, stopping in Galle for lunch. Arrive in Colombo and enjoy a panoramic drive to admire the colonial architecture of this historic port city before rejoining your ship.

1 hour ago, cruising denise said:

To anyone from the 22/23 WC, or prior, there is a new overland excursion now posted for Sri Lanka (see below).  Has anyone had experience with this, or know of anyone who does?  It's quite expensive but might be one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences (like a world cruise!) that could be worth the extra expense.  We'd be cancelling $700 total in other excursions if we were to do it.

$1,699 Per Person

Saturday, March 23
2 Days

MODERATE

NATURAL WORLD

SIGHTSEEING

MEAL

Explore the wetlands and scrub jungles of Sri Lanka while on safari in search of intriguing wildlife.

Depart the bustling commercial capital and head south toward Hambantota, your base from which to explore Sri Lanka’s wildlife at one of its leading national parks. Yala National Park is home to large populations of elephants; keep watch for them during an afternoon safari, along with wild buffalo, crocodiles, sloth bears and more. Return to Yala at sunrise and journey through the jungle, passing brackish lagoons in an open air 4x4 vehicle. Your knowledgeable guide will point out various species of migratory birds and animals, and you will have ample opportunity to capture your experience on film. After a hearty breakfast, depart your hotel, stopping in Galle for lunch. Arrive in Colombo and enjoy a panoramic drive to admire the colonial architecture of this historic port city before rejoining your ship.

Have not been to Sri Lanka before but this sounds interesting.  If it is anything like our Africa trip in August we would jump.  Best trip ever.  And the price, considering what safari type places charge, seems almost "reasonable".   Have to look into this.  Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruising denise said:

$1,699 Per Person

Saturday, March 23
2 Days

On the 22/23 WC this excursion was not offered as I recall and my original excursion list. We had not done this on our own but maybe someone else had. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Have not been to Sri Lanka before but this sounds interesting.  If it is anything like our Africa trip in August we would jump.  Best trip ever.  And the price, considering what safari type places charge, seems almost "reasonable".   Have to look into this.  Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like someone on this year's Neptune cruise has organized a private one.  

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Jim:  someone on this year's Neptune has organized a private one (see link below).  I don't know whether their group is full.  Looks like Diana is on it.  It is different in itinerary than the Viking offering in that the safari part is on the second day, while there are other interesting activities on the first day.  At least at the time the organizer booked it, the overland was not being offered for the Neptune.  Maybe a date conflict, or perhaps it has been added since then.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2791619-‘23‘24-neptune-world-cruise-ft-lauderdale-and-la-departures/?do=findComment&comment=66275212

5 hours ago, cruising denise said:

$1,699 Per Person

Saturday, March 23
2 Days

MODERATE

NATURAL WORLD

SIGHTSEEING

MEAL

This excursion was on the preview list for the 22/23 WC but when final offerings were made available, it was no longer there. It was one of the excursions I was really looking forward to. Sri Lanka was one of my most favorite destinations on the entire WC, mostly due to the natural beauty we experienced. Sri Lanka as a country prioritizes keeping their natural resources and cities clean ( compared to what you experience in India). I would jump at the chance to do this excursion - I expect it would be fabulous!  The country is beautiful and this would be a chance to get a deep dive experience!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aspen&Birch said:

This excursion was on the preview list for the 22/23 WC but when final offerings were made available, it was no longer there. It was one of the excursions I was really looking forward to. Sri Lanka was one of my most favorite destinations on the entire WC, mostly due to the natural beauty we experienced. Sri Lanka as a country prioritizes keeping their natural resources and cities clean ( compared to what you experience in India). I would jump at the chance to do this excursion - I expect it would be fabulous!  The country is beautiful and this would be a chance to get a deep dive experience!

Thanks so much for this!  We are almost certainly doing it now....thinking through how many opportunities we will get for something like this, we should jump at the chance while we have it...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...