Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

1 hour ago, KAM69 said:

Clay,

Where do you order the WC jacket ? 

Are they Helly Hansen jackets like the ones you get on the expedition ship Octantis?

Cheers

We got an email with a link to the order form.  Here is the link:

https://viking.shiptoshoretraveler.com/wc?contid=30021854738_1003356166&utm_id=email_vrc.54901342&cid=EML|RSP|999|vrc.54901342&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=55presale

below is a screenshot of the picture that was in the email-since I haven't sailed on the Expedition Ships, I can't answer your second question. 

IMG_8321.png

• Like 1

Back in 2019, we cruised on the second segment (Bergen to Montreal) of a Viking WC. I still recall all the WCers strutting around in their nice jackets, while we lowly segmenters were reduced to rags, hand-me-downs, and cardboard shoes. Cruising with Viking offers such wonderful memories!   😆😆😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

45 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Back in 2019, we cruised on the second segment (Bergen to Montreal) of a Viking WC. I still recall all the WCers strutting around in their nice jackets, while we lowly segmenters were reduced to rags, hand-me-downs, and cardboard shoes. Cruising with Viking offers such wonderful memories!   😆😆😆

I'm assuming you were also in steerage!  😁

On 9/7/2023 at 10:13 AM, KAM69 said:

Clay,

Where do you order the WC jacket ? 

Are they Helly Hansen jackets like the ones you get on the expedition ship Octantis?

Cheers

We did the pre-order as Clay mentioned, but later, when we went to our cabin, our steward asked us what sizes we wanted.  So the pre-order wasn't really necessary.

On 8/27/2023 at 2:57 PM, cruising denise said:

To the previous WCers:  We are considering the Great Ocean Road and Twelve Apostles when the Sky is docked in Geelong.  However, it is 10 hours, and I'm concerned that we will be on a bus for many hours.  Can anyone provide insight as to what to expect on this?  Is it mostly hours on a bus with a few stops here and there (the description mentions a "brief stop for photos at Loch Ard Gorge", for example).  Are the destinations worth it?  Thanks for any help!

I have the same question as Denise regarding the length of this tour/drive.  Does anyone have any insight/recommendations with regards to this tour?    Thanks!!!

12 minutes ago, FortWorthCruiser said:

I have the same question as Denise regarding the length of this tour/drive.  Does anyone have any insight/recommendations with regards to this tour?    Thanks!!!

The excursion is about 13 hours. The guide and driver stop twice on the way for a rest stop and a stretch. You have a total of 3 hours at 12 Apostles and town as most eat lunch there. On the way back you do not take the scenic way and is much shorter with one pit stop. The scenery on the way there and AR 12 Apostles is well worth the travel ( as is the lunch ). Hope this helps...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just heard that y'all never had the tomahawk steaks that were fixtures in previous world cruises.  Was it ever mentioned as to why y'all didn't have tomahawk nights?   As I recall from from friends who were on the 21/22 WC they had them multiple times. 

Oh we did have them!  It was a memorable day - served under the stars after a day in Phuket. Served with crab cake appetizers, lobster mac and cheese as a side and cherries jubilee for dessert. We were serenaded from the balcony by the guest performers. The combination of the perfect port day and the spectacular evening literally had me in tears that night. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aspen&Birch said:

Oh we did have them!  It was a memorable day - served under the stars after a day in Phuket. Served with crab cake appetizers, lobster mac and cheese as a side and cherries jubilee for dessert. We were serenaded from the balcony by the guest performers. The combination of the perfect port day and the spectacular evening literally had me in tears that night. 

That is great news to hear. I had asked about this on the 2022 WC roll call since I had seen no mention in the roll call, nor on any of the blogs and was told differently on the roll call. I understood that they had several nights on the 2021 WC that people got whole tomahawk steaks (with several people posting pics), but only heard about sliced ribeye steaks in 2022…

3 hours ago, Aspen&Birch said:

Yay!  Now we have to hope that we get them too🤞

• Like 1

I enjoy the Viking Daily, but those sheets of paper are really going to add up on a World Cruise. Were they provided in PDF form? Or do I really have to scan each of them every day? I like them for my notes and as souvenirs but can't see keeping track of this many over months.

4 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

I enjoy the Viking Daily, but those sheets of paper are really going to add up on a World Cruise. Were they provided in PDF form? Or do I really have to scan each of them every day? I like them for my notes and as souvenirs but can't see keeping track of this many over months.

I believe the Daily is available through the Viking Voyager app.

13 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just heard that y'all never had the tomahawk steaks that were fixtures in previous world cruises.  Was it ever mentioned as to why y'all didn't have tomahawk nights?   As I recall from from friends who were on the 21/22 WC they had them multiple times. 

We had tomahawk steaks.  I think twice, if I remember correctly.  There were also quite a few lobster nights.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

Obviously that is an option. However, it would be much more convenient to have the option to download a PDF of the entire document instead of screenshotting each page. But thanks. 

Unfortunately, there was not a PDF file for the daily.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

Obviously that is an option. However, it would be much more convenient to have the option to download a PDF of the entire document instead of screenshotting each page. But thanks. 

It would be a great option.  Let's all ask when we get on board 😃 our respective ships

22 hours ago, T.Light said:

I believe the Daily is available through the Viking Voyager app.

Also, the Daily provided on the Voyager app is only a subset of the actual daily. It doesn't include the port information. Nor does it include the operating hours for restaurants, shops, bars.  Once again, we see that Viking struggles with Technology, especially customer-facing technology.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RPapaMarshall said:

Also, the Daily provided on the Voyager app is only a subset of the actual daily. It doesn't include the port information. Nor does it include the operating hours for restaurants, shops, bars.  Once again, we see that Viking struggles with Technology, especially customer-facing technology.

We’ve been told on cruises not to rely on the app since the content is controlled by the web servers in LA and is not always current. On the other hand, the in room TV information and displays on the ship are updated locally and is current information.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 5:51 PM, mbviking2023 said:

New Blog posts from the Neptune.  Becky's Birthday and our trip to the Great Barrier Reef!

twohappysloths.com

360.JPG

@mbviking2023 Mike,

We're planning on going on this Great Adventures excursion to the the Outer Banks of the Great Barrier Reef/ Green Island during our upcoming WC aboard the Sky.  I'm hoping that you can help with a couple of questions I have:

In the photos of you and Becky, you appear to be wearing a full face mask rather than the normal snorkel mask which just covers your eyes and nose.  Was the full-face mask something that Great Adventures provided or were those masks that you and Becky brought yourselves?  I wear eye glasses and was wondering if the full-face mask might better accommodate me wearing my glasses while submerged.  

Secondly, I know that you mentioned that you booked this excursion through Viator.  Did your booking include the Guided Snorkel Tour or were you doing the "basic" snorkeling  which is included in their standard package?  I'm not an experienced snorkeler or diver, so I'm inclined to upgrade to the Guided Snorkel Tour so as to make the most of this once in a lifetime experience.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:33 PM, dreamercruise said:

My husband and I were very, very lucky to be able to see the abundant quantity and various species of coral and fish in the outer reef (specifically, Moore Reef). ... we went further out enough (outer reef instead of inner or near Cairns coast) to be able to see very healthy and colorful coral.  

@dreamercruise While you were on this third party excursion, did you add on the Guided Snorkel Tour?  If not, would you be inclined to recommend other to in order to see more than they might otherwise?

Edited by UWDawg
  • Thanks 1