Past Alaska cruisers: How many kids?

dcsam

Debating about taking an Alaska cruise.  Can’t cruise before or after peak season, so I’m curious how many kids you encountered during one of the June, July or August cruises?  Did you find the ship crowded and cramped in general?

Thank you!

I am interested in the kids on Alaska cruises, too.  But perhaps for a different reason.  I want to take my sons/DILs, and grandkids as a "reunion cruise".  Do you see "many"?  Or will my grandkids be very much by themselves?  THANKS.

2 hours ago, tigerfan75 said:

I am interested in the kids on Alaska cruises, too.  But perhaps for a different reason.  I want to take my sons/DILs, and grandkids as a "reunion cruise".  Do you see "many"?  Or will my grandkids be very much by themselves?  THANKS.

They offer  several sailings  with special programs  for  5 to 12 yr olds  so you will find more children on those sailing

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/specialty-cruises

There will not be hundreds like on the main stream lines

• Like 1

There are kid’s programs but remember, this is a smaller ship, 600+ and is not inexpensive. No go carts or climbing walls or Arcade to entertain the children.  Whenever we have seen kids aboard, they are always extremely well mannered and well controlled. This is not a “family “ cruise like on a NCL, Princess, Celebrity or Carnival with several thousand guests and with kids running wild. 
We do have friends looking at an Alaska trip with grandchildren and they know what to expect as far as Regatta’s offerings. They do not expect to have the kids subsist on burgers, fries, pizza or corn dogs. JMHO.
Ciao,

Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

We cruised Alaska on the Regatta during the 4th of July week in both 2019 and 2022.  From what we can remember, there were less than 20 children on each of those cruisers.  Most of the children appeared to be in the 5 year old to teens age range. 

Although there was a "children's program" on each of the cruises, it seemed to consist of 2 people who had activities for children (looked like games and arts & crafts) in the card room once or twice a day - certainly not a comprehensive program like the mass market cruises have.  Not surprisingly, the only children who seemed to participate in the activities were the younger children - it's not like they have video games or anything like that to entertain the children. From discussions with one or two families that had children on the cruise, it seems liked the  families planned excursions in the ports that they felt the children would enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Been to Alaska eight times on a variety of lines. When we take our grandkids we do RCCL. Most things for them to do. The cruise is then about the ship and not about Alaska. And you have to sail from Seattle while sailing from Vancouver is a much better Alaska experience. 

If you do Oceania they will as others have mentioned, have crafty and game type stuff to do a few times a day. Have a great time.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1