Help with how to cancel a cruise

4 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I found this.  I’ve never needed to use it, so no personal experience 

Emergency Travel Team 24*7 (365 days a year)
(800) 256-6649
(305) 539-4107
select option “2”
EmergencyTeam@rccl.com

Thank you. I am going to try this now.

4 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I found this.  I’ve never needed to use it, so no personal experience 

Emergency Travel Team 24*7 (365 days a year)
(800) 256-6649
(305) 539-4107
select option “2”
EmergencyTeam@rccl.com

That's only AIR2Sea number I think.  There was some recording about helping you out if you booked AIR with us....so I hung up.

2 minutes ago, Max and Ruby said:

That's only AIR2Sea number I think.  There was some recording about helping you out if you booked AIR with us....so I hung up.

Based on this FAQ, I thought the ETT also helped other guests. Perhaps not.
Q

What happens if I miss my boarding due to travel delays?

Guests who miss their cruise due to travel delays can contact the Emergency Travel Team (ETT) to discuss their options going forward. In specific situations, when the guest has the proper documentation, it is possible to join the cruise at the next port of call, but all options must be discussed with ETT.

44 minutes ago, Max and Ruby said:

I am beyond furious.  Don't know if I can mention insurance names.  But I called insurance last night and they said that NO PILOT is NOT a covered reason for my cancelled flight.  Um, excuse me?  How can my flight take off when the pilot who brought the plane to my gate decided "oh, I'm done for that day" and airline can't find another pilot.  Plus with all the cancellations no luck finding another flight.

I am waffling in between extreme anger and crying like a baby. 

Thank goodness I do have another "out". My father in law was supposed to go with us in the cabin next door, but he broke his hip 2 weeks ago.  My insurance stated that his medical injury WOULD be a covered reason.  So the insurance actually suggested I go that route for a refund.  But I need a cancellation from Royal, had no emergency number and big box agency said I have to wait until 9 am today to call and stay on the line to cancel my cruise. Augh. Just augh.

@poocher you said that your brother was a no show and got this back? "All CP purchases, taxes, port fees & prepaid gratuities refunded to form of payment.   Insurance purchased through RCCL at time of booking paid 90% of cruise fare as an FCC.  Southwest refunded points used for booking plus an additional $250 in vouchers each."

Well my insurance wants me to prove "cancelled" trip.  I wonder if your brother got the refunded amounts back to form of payment because he use the Royal Insurance company?  If I can't get through to cancel my cruise today, will I get at least the CP purchase, taxes and port fees back?

I'll be lucky if I get my paid airfare back in a credit from Southwest.  They did NOTHING but refund my points back in April when they cancelled my flight. Thank goodness I did not miss that cruise (double points, solo cruiser). But my travel insurance ( a different company) then did not refund my last minute flight because it was "air traffic control" and that wasn't a covered reason.  Such a scam.

I'm done with this trip ruining my plans. I'm off to my gym and will kick some $ss then call and sit for hours on the phone trying to cancel my cruise before 3pm today (time you'd have to be on the ship ).

I just got off the phone with RCCL. They can’t cancel my booking because they’ve already sent the manifest to the ship so I guess I am considered a no show. They said I can’t start the claim process until the cruise is over 12/30. They said I should have called sooner. Well I tried yesterday (holiday) and couldn’t get through. And they seem to know very little about the insurance they sold me when I booked. Does anyone know if flight cancellations due to weather are a covered reason. And will being a no show void the RCCL insurance.

Edited by bkiniowa

Yes, he did not cancel, he was a no show.  Insurance through RCCL.  The refund of all things I mentioned was pretty quick as I recall, maybe 2 weeks.  The FCCs a month later.  As to the voucher from SWA, he sent a polite but disappointed email & got the vouchers in response.  He had 3 flights from 3 different airports cancelled and so did quite a bit of driving between.

1 hour ago, bkiniowa said:

I just got off the phone with RCCL. They can’t cancel my booking because they’ve already sent the manifest to the ship so I guess I am considered a no show. They said I can’t start the claim process until the cruise is over 12/30. They said I should have called sooner. Well I tried yesterday (holiday) and couldn’t get through. And they seem to know very little about the insurance they sold me when I booked. Does anyone know if flight cancellations due to weather are a covered reason. And will being a no show void the RCCL insurance.

There are phone numbers for their insurance desk on this contact list.  I hope it helps.

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/13033980_Sales_Contact_List.pdf

https://coverage.archinsurancesolutions.com/description-of-coverage/ENV4uWuzymezDdYhnOis5PyaXRt0YFcGxfti7BHXyT1394svG6j3bP1qyBgOcnmg5A33

Here is a link to the policy. You’ll see under the section for cancellation that there are five covered reasons for cancellation. Cancelled flights because of weather is not one.

However, you do qualify for the CFAR provision. Scroll to that section and you will see the number for Travel Protection. Now that you have notified Royal, call the insurance people so that you are on record. 

1 hour ago, bkiniowa said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bkiniowa said:

Travel agent calling Royal to cancel and yes, "can't cancel per se".  I will get taxes, Cruise Planner money back.  What I will get is a document from Big box company stating cruise cancelled that I can use for insurance. I'm hoping, but not convinced this will work.

I used Travel Guard if that helps anyone else in the future.

I wonder if Allianz would be a better choice?  Are there ANY companies that will refund your cruise if you miss your flight and can't come?

I feel for you too!  Sounds as if you had a 4 night cruise too? Mine today until 12/30.

13 minutes ago, nolimits said:

You should also check with your CC company 

trip interruption clauses might be faster than Trip Ins if all  tickets and Cruise fare where pd with same CC

Credit card coverage also requires that cancellation be for a covered reason.  If the OP could show that the cancellation was caused by inclement weather instead of staffing shortage, he’d have a chance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max and Ruby said:

Travel agent calling Royal to cancel and yes, "can't cancel per se".  I will get taxes, Cruise Planner money back.  What I will get is a document from Big box company stating cruise cancelled that I can use for insurance. I'm hoping, but not convinced this will work.

I used Travel Guard if that helps anyone else in the future.

I wonder if Allianz would be a better choice?  Are there ANY companies that will refund your cruise if you miss your flight and can't come?

I feel for you too!  Sounds as if you had a 4 night cruise too? Mine today until 12/30.

Your Travel Guard policy covers cancellation if your Travel Carrier can’t get you to your destination for 12 hours or more because of severe weather. If you could show the flight was cancelled by weather instead of a staffing problem, you might have a claim. You’d need documentation from the airline.

I'm not sure what Big Box is sending, but it will be useful only if it documents a covered reason for cancellation. If it satisfies the requirement for proof of cancellation, you might be able to use the medical reason (broken hip). Otherwise, it will be hard to argue that you could not cancel in time since the injury occurred two weeks ago.

No policy covers every scenario.  Trip Delay, which pays for hotel and meals,  usually applies to weather, strikes, or mechanical problems. Trip Interruption is governed by the same reasons as cancellation but can reimburse for unused cruise fare under defined circumstances.

To avoid this kind of problem in the future, it helps to work with a professional who has knowledge of the workings of many policies. A good broker can match you to a policy that meets your needs and guide you through the claim process if necessary.

A number of people across all CC forums recommend Trip Insurance Store.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Max and Ruby said:

I am beyond furious.  Don't know if I can mention insurance names.  But I called insurance last night and they said that NO PILOT is NOT a covered reason for my cancelled flight.  Um, excuse me?  How can my flight take off when the pilot who brought the plane to my gate decided "oh, I'm done for that day" and airline can't find another pilot.  Plus with all the cancellations no luck finding another flight.

I am waffling in between extreme anger and crying like a baby. 

I tis amazing how so many companies list of exceptions is long that is just blows your mind when you need to change or cancel.   No pilot hmmmm   how does that work?

Feel bad for this situation and all the others that makes no sense.  I guess the passenger rights bill for airlines and cruise ships needs to be adjusted for NO PILOT.   

• Like 1

Didn’t really have any issues, filled out the form, submitted requested documentation & got the FCCs.  Tom was not happy he only got 90% but that was what the policy stated.  He did contact Mbayley@rccl.com & the very nice representative gave ALL of us $100 in OBC on our May do over cruise (that’s 7 people to compensate 2 missing the cruise) plus some in room goodies for all 3 cabins.  Don’t tell me that email address does no good!  So at the end of the day he got CPs, fees, etc back on his card, 90% of his cruise fare, all of his SWA points PLUS $500+ in SWA vouchers that don’t expire, $700 in OBC for us all to share on May plus goodies in our cabins.  I’d say it turned out ok for him.