Celebration Review - New Fun Stuff on Big Ship

pretzellover

Going to try this ongoing review. Currently on the Celebration for the New Year sailing. After one day I am very impressed with some new additions. 

Check in and boarding at 10:30 was effortless. Check in required seeing a rep with an iPhone at a free standing table. She looked at passports and asked vaccination status. I said I was as fully vaccinated as I want to be. No questions or proof required. Let’s just say I couldn’t qualify to cruise until October 2022. Walked right on board and dropped our carryon in the room. We are Platinum. We Aw the Cabin steward and asked for a robe since I have a Thermal Suite pass. Requested evening room refresh. He pushed back saying he is off at 8pm. We said that was fine, we just wanted an evening service. He did not really want to commit to a time but eventually asked what time we would like the room serviced. We said 6pm and he said he could do that. We have early assigned dining and like to have the room done while at dinner. By the way, early dining has been changed to 5:30 instead of 6:00. 

It was a rainy afternoon in Miami so we explored a bit and ate lunch. Street eats is a fun addition to the buffet. I had a beef gyro from Shwarma and my husband had smoked sausage from the hot dog stand. No tziki on the gyros but the garlic sauce was very good. On other ships I have gone to Pig and Anchor to get Mac and cheese. No need, they had it on the main buffet. Also had veggie tempura which was crispy and good. New stuff for us. 

Returned to the room and our key cards were there. Took a short nap before dinner. Rooms are much colder and we had to kick the thermostat down a notch. Same comfy beds, blankets and pillows. 

We enjoyed the Fahrenheit 555 steakhouse for dinner. New stuff for us on the menu. My husband had smoked oysters with the glass smoke lid. Fun! Beef carpaccio and lobster bisque was delish as always. Surf and turf was also tasty and perfectly cooked. The steakhouse was full which was nice to see. On other ships it has been empty. 

Evening comedy was great in the Limelight Lounge. Loved the comedian who was more of an adlibber than a scripted show. Fun!

We wanted to see the new Color My World show. Each song is about a color or mix of colors. (Purple Rain was featured) We found the show slow, sad and boring. Solo vocals featured over group vocals and dancing.  Will not see it again. Missed the high energy of the Epic Rock genre. This show was ultra woke and definitely aimed at millennials and GenX cruisers. Big time pass. 

10:30 pizza is my traditional bedtime snack. Haha. It was good to see about 8 chefs at Miami Slice instead of 2 trying to feed 200 people who just left the theater. 

More to come!

12812D89-B237-428B-A90C-F598BD6BA761.jpeg

A405756E-936D-4D23-BB69-ABF5AA62F5CB.jpeg

5CEEAC41-785E-4F41-A49F-18B50AAA29E2.jpeg

C486FDE0-F841-4283-BEB7-741847B16267.jpeg

74C03122-A440-416B-86E8-C92849D34CC8.jpeg

9AD7EA8A-D5CD-4EF2-8463-830819455A58.jpeg

AC0B8518-7224-46BD-A1B9-F3EFB408C52E.jpeg

9B80DD07-8E02-483F-86FD-78EAE7041F4B.jpeg

D875860C-8AF5-4A36-9EA1-6E391B10F82E.jpeg

61495646-F040-402B-82DC-EDFD862D2F50.jpeg

7875C8F0-B8D4-49FE-A9BB-9A5669E54474.jpeg

Edited by pretzellover
  • Like 8

• pretzellover changed the title to Celebration Review - New Fun Stuff on Big Ship

Thanks for letting me know I can skip Color My World!!! I was surprised to hear they asked vax status and also annoyed early dinner has been moved to 5:30. What time is the late dining? I have always done the late seating but have kids this time around and chose the early time. Wondering if I should change it...

• Like 1

They asked my vaccination status when boarding the Celebration TA in Southampton.  I’m fully vaxxed and told them that, but it didn’t seem like they even entered it into the computer or anything.  I wondered why they even asked since it’s not required.

Edited by nwcruiselover
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Riles34 said:

Thanks for letting me know I can skip Color My World!!! I was surprised to hear they asked vax status and also annoyed early dinner has been moved to 5:30. What time is the late dining? I have always done the late seating but have kids this time around and chose the early time. Wondering if I should change it...

Late dining was 7:45 on the TA.

Adding on for day 2 

This was an at sea day. We had walked around and checked out the pool area and chose The Patio lounge chairs to get some sun. This pool area is outside of GuysPig and Anchor. On other ships, we spend sun time at the aft pools which on most ships, are adult only. There is an adult only Serenity area on Celebration. It is in a more central area of the ship and the pool is in a central more shaded area. It was just not sunny enough so we chose not to stay there. The Patio has very nice chairs that have a neck pillow and we were very comfortable. Side note: The loungers were all reserved by 9am and we saw one chair argument. 

We ate in the Festivale Main Dining room.  We got a true table for 2. Some tables for 2 are 2 tables pulled 6 inches apart. With all of the divisive topics these days, I was happy to not have to filter my conversation. It was the first elegant night. I was able to order 2 lobster tails. I was glad they were able to put 2 on 1 plate instead of bring 2 full meals. Wild mushroom soup starter is a personal favorite. 

We saw another comedy show in the Limelight. Another good comic who had an ad lib style. I prefer this over raunchy story telling. 

Lee Mason hosted the Alice and Marriage show in the main theater. We have seen it many times but it’s still good for a giggle. 

It was strange to walk right through Celestial String which was being performed at the Center Stage Theater. Center Stage is sort of like the old style Atrium area but much larger. People are talking and walking through and going to the bar. It must incredibly distracting to the performers. 

Ended the night with a Miami Slice pizza again.  

To answer the replies, I think that our verbal vax status was entered by the Carnival rep on her iPhone device. I think this is asked since some islands are still requiring passengers be vaxxed, but nobody is asking for proof so it’s just silliness. 

AC1628F0-E6C1-478F-AEB4-51518F75461F.jpeg

A03F3FA5-6FAD-4376-A66E-50897AE05365.jpeg

8F85A149-E630-40D2-880C-738521BC356B.jpeg

41936727-6B47-475E-9C53-27C3F21578C5.jpeg

On 12/28/2022 at 4:08 PM, nessz79 said:

Weird that you were asked about your vaccination status. We just boarded in Terminal F (same as Celebration) the other day and no one asked us anything.  

We were asked as well but our friends at the next agent were not asked.  Made no sense...

I was on the Celebration a few weeks ago and they asked for Early Dining to show up at 5pm twice. Not sure if it was because it was the 1st US sailing and they were working out the kinks. They didn't turn away people that showed up at 5:30, so it seemed odd to have a 30 minute window with people arriving when it was not a YTD room, but other nights everyone showed up at 5:30.

As for vaccination status, they must have entered something in the computer, because I saw 2 people stopped from getting off at Grand Turk and told they had to show a Vax card to guest services before they could be cleared to go ashore in Grand Turk. We had an online form we had to fill out about vax status within a week of booking. We were not asked at the terminal.

Day 3 Add - Costa Maya

In the past, we were fans of Tropicante. I had read that it had changed ownership and was not as good but we didn’t know where else to tell the taxi driver to take us. They treated us at the taxi and too us to beach chairs. The beach was loaded with seaweed and it was smelly. We ordered drinks and plugged our noses. The restaurants on both sides had people hired people to start clearing the seaweed but not Tropicante. Eventually one waiter brought out a couple rakes and started raking. Another guest took a rake and started clearing. Then my husband started clearing. Got some exercise and a pathway to the water. Unfortunately the seaweed hills remained on the beach and were smelly. We eventually left and took a walk. A couple blocks down we found Krazy Lobster. I heard of it but wasn’t sure if a reservation was needed. Their seating area is massive. We got a table and some nachos. There was no beach, but they had steps into the water. Shallow enough for young kids to splash around. The table next to us ordered lobster tails and they looked amazing so we got them too. The small tail was plenty and they were delicious. That will be our place to go from now on. 

More ship experience in a bit. 

Day 3 continued 

We arrived back on the ship in time for a nap. Our usual. Not because we are tired, but more because we can and the beds are so comfortable. Mattresses, blankets and pillows are excellent on this ship. 

Nothing on the menu for the main dining room looked great so we tried out Pig and Anchor. It is not a buffet, you order from a server. The brisket was delicious! The Mac n cheese was ver good too but you only get a little. It’s way better than the max n cheese on the Lido buffet. Order 2. III get 3 meats and 2 sides. The sauces are on each table. 

Evening entertainment. It’s kind of surprising that it took a brand called Carnival to finally add a circus to the shows. Unfortunately, the excitement is dampened by the fight to get seats. The show is in the Center Stage Theater which like I said before is kind of like the atrium on earlier ships. People can walk through and there is a. Upper level overlook. People started saving large groups of seats almost 2 hours befor the show. Staff makes an announcement that seat saving is not allowed, but that does not stop the rules for thee crowd. We came in 44 minutes before the show and asked to use open seats but we were turned down. The pre show starts 10 minutes before the actual show. Some guy walked right through the cast. The cast uses the floor stage and ceiling space. Carnival really stepped it up in casting aerialists for this show. There were 4 that performed along with the regular playlist cast. Highly recommend seeing this show if you can get a seat from the entitled guests. 

CCE16883-1580-45E0-8BA0-9A2CFEE79C8D.jpeg

C9538D7F-062D-4719-8A12-D6334CE6DA31.jpeg

34FEB4EE-3BF6-4FA5-9969-CD614939E80F.jpeg

3D2EB231-29AD-429A-B10C-9123DD0B2FB6.jpeg

5FCC1EF5-CC41-4A1F-90E3-CE382EED7874.jpeg

D5FD8D68-4BF1-4F86-A244-37DDA8C4F004.jpeg

4514A361-3C8E-468A-9F11-CF7CB7201234.jpeg

1D05C54C-396F-4B84-9307-DD105A7B32AE.jpeg

• Like 1

Day 4 Roatan

We purchased the ship beach/clamshell/floaty packages. You can do the Carnival beach for free if you want to walk down and back up the hill to the beach instead of using the ski lift. You also risk not getting a free lounger. I think the package is $48 and worth the piece of mind to have fun on the Roatan beach. Very disappointing to see mask required signs all the way port area. Apparently employees at the port are still being forced to wear the useless things in 85 degree heat outside. Many of their China were well protected but other did block their airways. Overall, nice day at the beach. Order some jerk chicken from the Shack. Tasty!

DE1A6FE3-A754-4293-B08C-EA5FFD2CF908.jpeg

341F4360-2C28-4FD4-859B-034AE1E6F639.jpeg

D787FCD2-B00B-4CE9-B91A-97E3EBACEA57.jpeg

735A9F49-3CC2-48B7-9C06-A14B1A468F76.jpeg

A8CAD8D9-A354-4071-BB69-541F4FC2D635.jpeg

New Years Eve

The main dining room had “special” menu for NYE dinner. I was not impressed. In the past Carnival provided Chateaubriand or at least mediocre filet mignon. This year they had a poor ribeye or a few broiled shrimp or lamb. The top sirloin I had earlier in the week were better. Disappointing but probably another necessary cutback due to the Covid damage. 

New Years Eve at midnight on Lido is really impressive. Unfortunately we missed it this time because we were in the sports bar watching the Ohio State/Georgia football game. Disappointing but fun game with many enthusiastic fans on both sides. OSU list at midnight but we headed outside right after to experience the large NYE crowd. Happy Nee Year all!

95EDFA29-3DE1-430E-856D-2D866A2AEE7F.jpeg

316B53BF-6341-48CC-9ACA-9E8D8F312A73.jpeg

E42A8524-C472-4E99-ACE0-D7F4604AA902.jpeg

DE89D361-ECDA-412B-9E35-EC55969474FC.jpeg

Day 6 & 7

i have a few closing observations about the Celebration. 

Comedy: There are 3 comedy ratings now. PG R18 and 18Explicit. I really appreciate this because while I Don mind some cussing and sex jokes, I dislike comedians who base their whole show on describing sex acts. Loved R18 shows. 

Game Shows: The Hasbro games were kind of boring for anyone not playing so I was not excited about watching Family Feud and Deal or No Deal. I have to say they were fun. Family Feud was hilarious. Event he clips from show made people laugh. Deal or No Deal was fun because the audience could play along with their own suitcase card. The odds of winning anything were slim, but it was fun. One nice thing is that if you win, they put the winnings automatically on the sail and sign card. 

Before Deal or No Deal, there was a short classic rock laser show.  The center stage theater has floor to ceiling windows that are converted into a high tech screen for shows. The Visual Symphony show is a short demonstration of what all the technology can do. The pieces spin and then store away in the floor. The staff to run this apparatus must have tech engineering degrees. It’s really cool and Carnival did not skimp on this show hardware.

I skipped the shows We Are One, Festival of Flags and Music Brings Us Together. They seemed to be short short individual shows. After the messages in Color My Word, I knew I’d have nothing but eye rolls for these shows. I happen to walk through the flag show and they we’re introducing each different flag. The cruise director yelled “JUST LOOK AT ALL THE DIVERSITY INCLUDED HERE!” Anyone who has taken a cruise knows that there is a very diverse staff and appreciates the hard work interesting backgrounds. I don’t need special virtue signaling shows. It really stinks of checking boxes on the woke business checklist. Just my opinion. 

Dining room food: The menus seemed to have changed. After 21 Carnival cruises I have never had a trouble finding something on the menu that sounded good. This time there were 3 nights. For one we went to Pig and Anchor and other 2 I order the broiled steak. I hope once things turn around for Carnival as a company, they upgrade on the dining room food again. 

Last thing! This is the best thing to be added to the ship. A little amiable bed light with a USB plug. No more charging over on the desk. 

Hope this review helps somebody!

D3E79969-2BF7-4B57-99F6-A4881DDFC5D0.jpeg

C0C08168-2DF7-4774-9A2B-9F12DBAA0909.jpeg

0B2F6302-0B2D-48E4-9F5B-8A4359B16ADA.jpeg

458686C2-18B5-4F38-96D2-8D5FC100965E.jpeg

B2BA9CDD-79B7-422A-B517-275A83046829.jpeg

• Like 1

Color My World was not sad or slow or woke. It had many well known songs and even featured Pink by Aerosmith definitely not a woke song lol We really enjoyed the show as it much about the art that went along with the songs and was beautifully done. Sorry you didn't enjoy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pretzellover said:

Before Deal or No Deal, there was a short classic rock laser show.  The center stage theater has floor to ceiling windows that are converted into a high tech screen for shows. The Visual Symphony show is a short demonstration of what all the technology can do. The pieces spin and then store away in the floor. The staff to run this apparatus must have tech engineering degrees. It’s really cool and Carnival did not skimp on this show hardware.

No indeed, they didn't.   That huge LED "wall" costs several million dollars, and Carnival has been getting some really good use out of it.   (And yes, the tech staff is very....technical. 🙂 )     

1 hour ago, pretzellover said:

Dining room food: The menus seemed to have changed. After 21 Carnival cruises I have never had a trouble finding something on the menu that sounded good. This time there were 3 nights. For one we went to Pig and Anchor and other 2 I order the broiled steak. I hope once things turn around for Carnival as a company, they upgrade on the dining room food again. 

We were pretty happy with the MDR food on Mardi Gras, but we took a few opportunities to try Cucina and Guy's P&A (Cucina was great for us so we went twice; Guy's was....ehhh.)     There was one night when I remember the MDR menu didn't really thrill me, but that's been the case on every recent Carnival cruise...not their fault, just my tastes and that one night's menu NOT intersecting. 

I WILL say that the "sub-par" New Year's steak you posted a photo of LOOKED huge.  🙂  

On 12/28/2022 at 11:01 AM, pretzellover said:

Going to try this ongoing review. Currently on the Celebration for the New Year sailing. After one day I am very impressed with some new additions. 

Check in and boarding at 10:30 was effortless. Check in required seeing a rep with an iPhone at a free standing table. She looked at passports and asked vaccination status. I said I was as fully vaccinated as I want to be. No questions or proof required. Let’s just say I couldn’t qualify to cruise until October 2022. Walked right on board and dropped our carryon in the room. We are Platinum. We Aw the Cabin steward and asked for a robe since I have a Thermal Suite pass. Requested evening room refresh. He pushed back saying he is off at 8pm. We said that was fine, we just wanted an evening service. He did not really want to commit to a time but eventually asked what time we would like the room serviced. We said 6pm and he said he could do that. We have early assigned dining and like to have the room done while at dinner. By the way, early dining has been changed to 5:30 instead of 6:00. 

It was a rainy afternoon in Miami so we explored a bit and ate lunch. Street eats is a fun addition to the buffet. I had a beef gyro from Shwarma and my husband had smoked sausage from the hot dog stand. No tziki on the gyros but the garlic sauce was very good. On other ships I have gone to Pig and Anchor to get Mac and cheese. No need, they had it on the main buffet. Also had veggie tempura which was crispy and good. New stuff for us. 

Returned to the room and our key cards were there. Took a short nap before dinner. Rooms are much colder and we had to kick the thermostat down a notch. Same comfy beds, blankets and pillows. 

We enjoyed the Fahrenheit 555 steakhouse for dinner. New stuff for us on the menu. My husband had smoked oysters with the glass smoke lid. Fun! Beef carpaccio and lobster bisque was delish as always. Surf and turf was also tasty and perfectly cooked. The steakhouse was full which was nice to see. On other ships it has been empty. 

Evening comedy was great in the Limelight Lounge. Loved the comedian who was more of an adlibber than a scripted show. Fun!

We wanted to see the new Color My World show. Each song is about a color or mix of colors. (Purple Rain was featured) We found the show slow, sad and boring. Solo vocals featured over group vocals and dancing.  Will not see it again. Missed the high energy of the Epic Rock genre. This show was ultra woke and definitely aimed at millennials and GenX cruisers. Big time pass. 

10:30 pizza is my traditional bedtime snack. Haha. It was good to see about 8 chefs at Miami Slice instead of 2 trying to feed 200 people who just left the theater. 

More to come!

12812D89-B237-428B-A90C-F598BD6BA761.jpeg

A405756E-936D-4D23-BB69-ABF5AA62F5CB.jpeg

5CEEAC41-785E-4F41-A49F-18B50AAA29E2.jpeg

C486FDE0-F841-4283-BEB7-741847B16267.jpeg

74C03122-A440-416B-86E8-C92849D34CC8.jpeg

9AD7EA8A-D5CD-4EF2-8463-830819455A58.jpeg

AC0B8518-7224-46BD-A1B9-F3EFB408C52E.jpeg

9B80DD07-8E02-483F-86FD-78EAE7041F4B.jpeg

D875860C-8AF5-4A36-9EA1-6E391B10F82E.jpeg

61495646-F040-402B-82DC-EDFD862D2F50.jpeg

IMG_9011.MOV 20.51 MB · 0 downloads

7875C8F0-B8D4-49FE-A9BB-9A5669E54474.jpeg

Do you remember which night was the color my world show? I am trying to figure out a night for a specialty restaurant.

Thank you for the review. A lot of what you are saying goes with what others have said. The Center Stage shows have to get to extremely early. Lots of positive things about the cruise and happenings. I am sad to hear the color show is agenda driven. I will probably avoid that one. 

Everything else seems to be extremely enjoyable and a great cruise. We are 5 months away with a lot of things to get done.

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Thank you for the review. A lot of what you are saying goes with what others have said. The Center Stage shows have to get to extremely early. Lots of positive things about the cruise and happenings. I am sad to hear the color show is agenda driven. I will probably avoid that one. 

Everything else seems to be extremely enjoyable and a great cruise. We are 5 months away with a lot of things to get done.

Don't avoid the Color my World show.  It was very good.  Very talented performers and the choreography was awesome!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 10:26 PM, DevilDogsWifey215 said:

Color My World was not sad or slow or woke. It had many well known songs and even featured Pink by Aerosmith definitely not a woke song lol We really enjoyed the show as it much about the art that went along with the songs and was beautifully done. Sorry you didn't enjoy. 

I have heard good things about the shows and I look forward to seeing them when I hopefully sail on one of the new EXCEL class of ships.

I would take the "woke" feedback with a grain of salt. I think it's the same people who say modern Star Trek today is too "woke" when literally the original series tackled social issues loud and clear and about as bluntly as a butter knife (like my dad - he is a huge fan of the "ORIGINAL SERIES" in the 60s but not "modern star trek"). Somehow it was OK in the 60s but not today...strange and incredibly ironic when many of the same people who hate "woke" culture today lived through the 60s and 70s which was about as "woke" and counter-culture/fight the man as it gets..hippies, star trek (Gene Rodenberry would be proud of the messaging in current Star Trek), race riots...

Edited by JMKreno
  • Like 2