Viking Egil Christmas Markets Danube River cruise Review with Lots of Photos and Menus

MVPinBoynton

I have just posted a review to my website with lots of photos of a recently completed Christmas markets Danube River cruise on the Viking Egil from Budapest to Regensburg.  

We had a great time on an awesome ship.  This was my first time on Viking, and I couldn’t have been more impressed with the ship, crew, food and great service throughout.  It was my second Danube River cruise.  My first one was in 2009 during much warmer weather.  This one was quite different.  Below are a few photos from the cruise.

The review is located on my website, which is linked to in my signature.  You can also just Google “Mike and Carol’s Cruise Reviews” to find a link to it.  I hope it is helpful for those of you that are planning to do a Danube River cruise; or that it brings back some fond memories to those of you who have already done one.

egil_ip-2232.jpg.fa8460b0756e728e334f267fcfa1ecbf.jpg
Hungarian Parliament 

egil_ip-2414.jpg.9d0ff61c36e41a98f4358a7980a3e9ae.jpg
St. Stephen's Basilica, Budapest

egil_ip-2526.jpg.2135ec40706cd824e834f4235d1026a4.jpg
Budapest Fashion Street

egil_ip-2813.jpg.e7a64ecf44678ad8a20016194ef8f596.jpg
Hungarian Parliament Building

• Like 1

@MVPinBoynton well, your report on your site is exhaustive!

In the early bit you say you chose a table for 10 and were served last. As there were 4 in your party, perhaps the waiter was waiting for the other six seats to be filled?

A part of the report reads

Also in the square is the Soviet monument.  It was erected after WW2.  It is very controversial since some feel that it is a symbol of soviet oppression, while others view it as a sign of freedom from the soviets. 

Should the last word be Germans?  (This board doesn't allow my preferred word of which this is an anagram  - Nzais.)

Also a typo -  I stayed around long enough to see the lock fill up and the Egil begin to leave it.  After seeing it done once, there isn’t much reason to watch it again, since it does get old quickly.

I think get cold was meant.

I love river cruising and also Viking, and had an invitation from friends to join them on a Christmas markets cruise. Your report confirms my decision not to join them - too cold!!!

Edited by pontac

7 minutes ago, pontac said:

@MVPinBoynton well, your report on your site is exhaustive!

In the early bit you say you chose a table for 10 and were served last. As there were 4 in your party, perhaps the waiter was waiting for the other six seats to be filled?

A part of the report reads

Also in the square is the Soviet monument.  It was erected after WW2.  It is very controversial since some feel that it is a symbol of soviet oppression, while others view it as a sign of freedom from the soviets. 

Should the last word be Germans?  (This board doesn't allow my preferred word of which this is an anagram  - Nzais.)

Also a typo -  I stayed around long enough to see the lock fill up and the Egil begin to leave it.  After seeing it done once, there isn’t much reason to watch it again, since it does get old quickly.

I think get cold was meant.

I love river cruising and also Viking, and had an invitation from friends to join them on a Christmas markets cruise. Your report confirms my decision not to join them - too cold!!!

Thank you for your response.  We had pretty much the same 8-10 people at our table each night. They knew we were all there. 

it was the Soviet monument.  They were freed from Russia in 1989. 

I did mean that watching licks fill up does get old.  Maybe I have seen too many of them over the years.  

MV interesting review. I can well understand the non canal/river person feeling that more locks/licks get old unless your interested in the differences between locks or are a canal engineer, I find the sheer size of the European locks amazing. Loads of photographs did you have full permission?

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

MV interesting review. I can well understand the non canal/river person feeling that more locks/licks get old unless your interested in the differences between locks or are a canal engineer, I find the sheer size of the European locks amazing. Loads of photographs did you have full permission?

Locks are certainly most impressive.  I saw several on this cruise and many others on different cruises, so I don’t need to watch them all anymore.

I only take photos where allowed.