A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

22 minutes ago, JSR said:

HI Mysty,

I am back... Received an email from SSea reference luggage forward. Pick up is December 27. Now I can plan accordingly. 

I see the weight restrictions for the luggage forward bags but not the dimensions, where might I find this information? We have one suitcase that will work well for shoes and clothes though it is a big suitcase. Also do soft sided garment bags do ok being shipped (so much easier then folding dress clothes)?

I know this is a touchy subject but I can not seem to find the current Silver Nova dress code information. Do you have a link? (do not want to start a whole thread nor a debate about clothes despite the fact that I find them very amusing). 

As always, thank you for your assistance

Here is the link to the thread on the Nova dress code.....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2955848-new-dress-code-on-the-silver-nova/#comment-65872666

And here is what it says about the dress code on the Setting Sail Guide for the Nova...

"ONBOARD DRESS CODE
Silversea operates an onboard dress code after 6 pm.
During the day, casual wear is suitable, akin to standard sports outfits
found at five-star resorts. It is recommended to wear flat or low-heeled
shoes for deck activities.
Evening wear falls into two categories:
Elegant Casual: On casual evenings, ladies may opt for trousers,
blouses, skirts, or casual dresses, while gentlemen can wear open collar shirts and slacks. A jacket is optional.
Formal Optional: Guests may choose a more formal attire, such as
an evening gown or cocktail dress for ladies and a tuxedo, dinner
jacket, or dark suit with a tie for gentlemen. Alternatively, guests
are welcome to adhere to the Elegant Casual dress code, except that
gentlemen must wear a jacket in all indoor spaces.

Regardless of the daily dress code:
• After 6 pm, indoor spaces prohibit jeans, shorts, sneakers, or flipflop-type footwear.
• Casual wear is always suitable in outdoor venues.
• Gentlemen dining at La Dame restaurants are required to wear a jacket.
The number of formal evenings depends on the length of the voyage.
A guideline for reference is below:
• On sailings of 7 days or less, guests can expect only Elegant Casual
nights.
• On sailings of 8-14 days, guests can expect between one and two
Formal Optional nights.
• On sailings of 15 days or more, guests can expect at least two Formal
Optional nights."

• Like 2

Misty, 

Thank you for all the helpful information about suitcases and dress requirements. The simple dress code information is very convenient and drama free. In college as part of my requirements I studied the history of fashion in depth, that is why I find the threads so amusing. Like time, fashion does not stand still. Ok I am slipping down the rabbit hole...

I am so excited about this trip and it is so much fun to think and plan for it. I really so prefer chatting about it then dealing with day to day life.  Mr. WNF's brother is here visiting with his son so I am typing while WNF and his brother  (former professional musician) are jamming on the guitar. They're really good. 

Again, thank you.

Jean

• Like 3

I've been doing most of the research for this trip on our home computer.  I've bookmarked a number of sites for future reference while on the cruise.  Today I wanted to "export" the World Cruise bookmarks to the Surface Pro we are taking with us.  I attempted to follow the instructions relating to exporting bookmarks from Chrome.  I tried it and it exported all the bookmarks on the computer.  Not what I wanted.  Back to more research on how to export selected bookmarks.  Too complicated!  My solution was to copy the bookmarks I wanted from the bookmark list and paste them into a text file.  I'll put the text file document on the Surface Pro.  Done!

I received confirmation that the additional countries from our itinerary had been added to our Registration of Canadians Abroad.  Good to go!

We booked Fast Track Arrival in Barbados for December 16, 2023.  Our flight is due to arrive at 3:00 pm.  After a long day of travel we are hoping that this service will facilitate the Immigration and Customs process.

Tick Tick!

Hey Mysty, what will we once you board Shadow in Barbados in December?

For those on the WC from in SF, you will be AWOL...unable to tell us of updates on brand new tours offered that somehow suddenly got loaded on to the web site?

BTW Mysty, how do you find out so quickly of the new additions/deletions of tours?  Its a slog to go through all the ports every few weeks without notification!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wristband said:

Hey Mysty, what will we once you board Shadow in Barbados in December?

For those on the WC from in SF, you will be AWOL...unable to tell us of updates on brand new tours offered that somehow suddenly got loaded on to the web site?

BTW Mysty, how do you find out so quickly of the new additions/deletions of tours?  Its a slog to go through all the ports every few weeks without notification!

@wristband , I'm not intending to go over the side of the Shadow once we board. 😅  I'll be checking in with mysilversea every day (if the internet cooperates) as I do now and I will report back.   I was watching Brisbane excursions for the river cruise with drinks option and that's how I found it when it appeared.  I'm still looking at New London and Newcastle as only Selected Excursions are currently listed for those ports.  I haven't investigated every port for new excursions so there definitely may be new options that I don't know about! 😔  We are being informed about canceled excursions by the Silversea Shore Concierge by way of an email.   I have no magic powers,  except that I can make wine disappear! 🤣

6 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Enjoy your rutting. 

Thank you TTS! 🥰  Thankfully I understand your wit!  Else I would be looking for hidden cameras! 😅

Edited by mysty
  • Haha 1

@wristband , I'll be reporting live from the Caribbean as we sail to San Francisco.   And I will report on anything I hear about the World Cruise.   I'm not leaving anyone in the dark!  Of course,  I am hoping that others will chime in as they see fit!  Group effort!  🥰

• Like 2

Mysty & Others - do you know if Silversea offers an alternative rather than the Gala at SF City Hall? 

After a day of airports, unpacking... I am hopeful there will be a WC option for dinner at the Fairmont.

Otherwise, its the McDonalds nearby for a Big Mac Attack. Thx.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wristband said:

Mysty & Others - do you know if Silversea offers an alternative rather than the Gala at SF City Hall? 

After a day of airports, unpacking... I am hopeful there will be a WC option for dinner at the Fairmont.

As far as I know, there is no other option to the Gala dinner that would be included.   You probably wouldn't be the only folks to skip it.  We are going and Silversea is arranging transport from the ship to the venue.   There are a few of us who will already be on the Shadow when she docks on January 14th.

11 minutes ago, wristband said:

Newcastle has only one tour - a morning pub crawl. 

As Sam Goldwyn, the movie mogul, said "Count me OUT!"

The Included Excursions have not yet been listed for New London and Newcastle.   Since Silverseas offers at least one option for Included Excursions,  they should be showing up shortly.

• Like 1

Thanks Mysty.  Would you - or anyone here - know if the internet on Shadow is with Starlink?

I want to confirm that as the Internet is often very slow onboard. Starlink has been added to many ships so better to know in advance rather than finding out otherwise onboard.  Thanks again! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wristband said:

Thanks Mysty.  Would you - or anyone here - know if the internet on Shadow is with Starlink?

I want to confirm that as the Internet is often very slow onboard. Starlink has been added to many ships so better to know in advance rather than finding out otherwise onboard.  Thanks again! 

At last report Starlink is on the Shadow.   There is a caveat though.  Because Starlink is a US  system it may not be completely available in areas such as China and South Korea.  Access is those areas might be problematic. This information was presented in the video presentation by Ms. Muckermann.

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wristband said:

We arrived on Friday, the 12th.  We were concerned about possible snow problems leaving Boston in the winter so we decided to go early.  We plan on attending the Gala.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JoGay said:

We arrived on Friday, the 12th.  We were concerned about possible snow problems leaving Boston in the winter so we decided to go early.  We plan on attending the Gala.

Awesome @JoGay !  I hope we can meet up with you there!  I plan to describe my attire for the evening so folks can either find me or avoid me! 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Grand Duchess has graciously agreed to allow me to share her posts of two wonderful restaurant options in Singapore.

National Kitchen by Violet Oon (the one in the National Gallery) 
https://violetoon.com/national-kitchen-by-violet-oon-national-gallery-singapore/

And the link to her post on another thread here.....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2571941-silversea-water-cooler-welcome-part-five/?do=findComment&comment=66400887

Odette - https://www.odetterestaurant.com/

And the link to her post on another thread here.....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2571941-silversea-water-cooler-welcome-part-five/?do=findComment&comment=66403287

Thank you @Grand Duchess !

• Like 1

Mysty, the two restaurants are quite upscale (prices to match!) fine dining experiences.  My opinion is both do not offer us as passengers a distinct change from Shadow's upscale dining options. 

For those who don't know, Pernakan cuisine is unique to Singapore, an oddball mash of Indo, Chinese & Malay without much in common for any one of the three, at least for me.  

If you want to try an authentic Pernakan experience, True Blue downtown on Armenian Street is worth considering.  Right next door is the Pernakan Heritage Museum (worth a visit IMHO). 

True Blue is set in an atmospheric old colonial shop house - the food is quite good when we ate there several years ago. Its not street food, the decor is upscale.  TB is not as acclaimed as Odette or Violet Oon although all three offer interesting menus in very different settings. 

Candlenut received a Michelin star for its Pernakan menu (its up near the Botanic Gardens). That one might be worth investigating if you are interested in trying Pernakan food in a Michelin starred setting.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wristband said:

Mysty, the two restaurants are quite upscale (prices to match!) fine dining experiences.  My opinion is both do not offer us as passengers a distinct change from Shadow's upscale dining options. 

For those who don't know, Pernakan cuisine is unique to Singapore, an oddball mash of Indo, Chinese & Malay without much in common for any one of the three, at least for me.  

If you want to try an authentic Pernakan experience, True Blue downtown on Armenian Street is worth considering.  Right next door is the Pernakan Heritage Museum (worth a visit IMHO). 

True Blue is set in an atmospheric old colonial shop house - the food is quite good when we ate there several years ago. Its not street food, the decor is upscale.  TB is not as acclaimed as Odette or Violet Oon although all three offer interesting menus in very different settings. 

Candlenut received a Michelin star for its Pernakan menu (its up near the Botanic Gardens). That one might be worth investigating if you are interested in trying Pernakan food in a Michelin starred setting.

Thank you @wristband !  I love options (even the upscale ones 😋)!  The more the merrier as we all have different preferences and different budgets.  You have provided wonderful suggestions.   🥰

19 minutes ago, wristband said:

Not as many suggestions and insights as you have Mysty!🙂

May I ask what are your recommended favorite dinner dishes on Shadow? La Dame aside of course!

I am trying to schedule my dining menus this month.

You may absolutely ask @wristband .  You will be disappointed with my answer.   I,  quite frankly, do not remember dishes.   Especially from years ago.  I do remember the offerings in the main dining room changed between 2016 and 2019 and in both years the menus changed daily.   There was only ever one meal that I couldn't eat.  The menu had said glass noodles which I enjoy and instead it was served with soba noodles which I detest.  In all the meals we have had on Silversea,  having one less than ideal experience seems quite impressive to me. 😁  The chefs change and the offerings change.  The executive chef for our big adventure worked for Seabourn previously.   I am excited about what we will dine on.

Myster and I both really enjoy The Grill!  We dine there often.   Myster has perfected steaming his fish on the hot rock.  It's cooked wrapped in aluminum foil and lathered with butter, seasoned with salt and pepper. 

La Terrazza has been hit and miss in our experience.   Hopefully it will be more hits than misses for the upcoming cruises.   We're going to give it a go while we're on the Holiday Season cruise. 

On previous cruises I have asked our butler to provide the next day's main dining menus for lunch and for dinner.  I'm not sure if that will be available this time.

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

@drron29 has also graciously allowed me to share another option for Singapore.  I do love options!

Whitegrass - https://www.whitegrass.com.sg/

Here is the link to his post on another thread...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2571941-silversea-water-cooler-welcome-part-five/?do=findComment&comment=66399736

Thank you @drron29 !