A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

10 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

That's 3 more than I took in 2019 and 2023 and, even then, you had to look after one.🤪

It was my pleasure @turtlemichael!  Those shoes could not be allowed in an enclosed space!  They did fine anchored by the deck chairs on our balcony!  A fond memory of 2019!  🥰

• Like 1

The rough estimate of the number of passengers doing the full 2024 World Cruise is about 200.  The Silver Shadow has a guest capacity of 392.  The current availability according to the Silversea website is:

San Francisco (California) to Lautoka - Veranda Suites available

Lautoka to Sydney - Grand Suite, Veranda Suites and Vista Suites available

Sydney to Bali - Grand Suite, Veranda Suites and Vista Suites available ( some discounted prices due to two suite upgrade *)

Bali to Hong Kong - Veranda Suites and Vista Suites (some discounted prices due to two suite upgrade*)

Hong Kong to Tokyo - Grand Suite, Veranda Suites and Vista Suites available ( some discounted prices due to two suite upgrade*)

Tokyo to Seward (Anchorage, Alaska) - Veranda Suites and Vista Suites (some discounted prices due to tow suite upgrade*)

Seward (Anchorage, Alaska) to San Francisco (California) - Veranda Suites and Vista Suites

* - when booked by November 30

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That is amazing, Mysty.  Half of the ship with people on board for the whole thing!  I wonder if that is usual - you will know, I am sure.  I certainly hope that none of them are going to be overly demanding unpleasant people!  

Lola

In my limited experience,  the count of full World Cruisers has been in that ballpark.   In 2016 it was about 190 and in 2019 it was about 220.  From limited experience,  most fellow passengers have been respectful,  genial folks.  Our world has changed since the nasty.   I'm hoping that our traveling band of adventurers are more like the before than the after. 🙂

• Like 4

Another excursion canceled due to operational reasons.  YYJ-G – Victoria Foodie Walking Tour, operating in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on 05/21/2024

I'm starting to see a pattern here.  Food excursions on the Included list seem to be on the chopping block.

Edited by mysty
  • Like 2

Sorry if I'm late to be looking at the details here, but mysty's post about available cabins brought one huge thought to mind - 

How can it be called a WORLD CRUISE when it doesn't leave the Pacific?

That's ridiculous.

PS not meaning to detract from your upcoming enjoyment mysty, I hope the cruise will be great but the name is absurd.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Sorry if I'm late to be looking at the details here, but mysty's post about available cabins brought one huge thought to mind - 

How can it be called a WORLD CRUISE when it doesn't leave the Pacific?

That's ridiculous.

PS not meaning to detract from your upcoming enjoyment mysty, I hope the cruise will be great but the name is absurd.

Good Point @jollyjones !  On previous "World Cruise" adventures we sailed from the US and ended in Europe.  Myster always thought those didn't really cover the world.  However, this upcoming one covers even less. Perhaps it should have been called "Terra Tricesimo Navigandum". 😁

• Haha 3

I'm going to have to eat my words and they are not my favourite culinary delight!  I had suggested that Included Excursions involving food seemed to be on the chopping block.  It turns out that the excursion that was canceled in Victoria has an option that seems even better.

BC BITES & SIGHTS

Depart the pier for the short, guided stroll through James Bay, the city’s oldest neighbourhood with its charming Victorian homes. From here, continue walking along Fisherman’s Wharf, where a stop is made at a popular local eatery to sample some tasty local specialities. Afterward, embark the charming Harbour Ferry for a picturesque ride along the Inner-Harbour, and marvel at the cityscapes, seaport, and seaplane airport from the water.

Chinatown, Old Town, Bastion Square, Craft Beer or Cocktail-Tasting, Inner-Harbour

After disembarking the ferry, take a guided stroll through historic Chinatown, the second-oldest in North America, for more treats. Continue walking to the Old Town corridor and Bastion Square, where a stop is made for a local craft beer or cocktail tasting. Your final stop is at the beautiful Inner-Harbour, home to the Royal BC Museum, BC Legislative Buildings and the iconic Fairmont Empress Hotel. At the conclusion of your tour, you are issued a shuttle ticket to return to the ship at your leisure, allowing you to further explore Victoria on your own.

Words have been swallowed!  And @Mr Luxury , on this one we stop to sample. 😅

• Like 3

FedEx delivered the paperwork for the ship ahead luggage on Wednesday.  I started the packing process that day.  I managed to pack all four of the ship ahead pieces in about 4 hours.  I filled in the luggage inventory spreadsheet as I went. FedEx is scheduled to pick up the luggage on Monday afternoon.  I tried to confirm the pickup with FedEx yesterday afternoon.  Unfortunately, the confirmation number for the pickup is required in order to confirm.  I do not have access to that number as Silversea made the booking.  Hopefully, everything will go according to plan. 😄

• Like 5

Here is a copy of the instructions that were included with the FedEx paperwork.....

IMG_0156.JPG.af455b183d36e93de97f71405c070f6c.JPG

Note the instruction in bold to take pictures of the luggage including a close up of the brand.  I don't remember this from previous experiences.  It is a good idea!

5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Are they working with the cable TV company? That's quite a window.

Ha Ha Ha!  Originally the window was specified as 2:00 - 4:00.  FedEx may have consulted with the Cable TV company and decided to adopt the concept of opening the window.  😅  I'll be happy if they actually show up!  🙂

6 hours ago, mysty said:

Note the instruction in bold to take pictures of the luggage including a close up of the brand.  I don't remember this from previous experiences.  It is a good idea!

In summer of 2022 when lost luggage was a huge problem I read an article (can't remember where) that recommended taking photos so that the luggage could be more easily identified.  You know what the cases look like, airline personal don't so it's easier to have the photo for them.  I've been taking photos ever since. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mchell810 said:

In summer of 2022 when lost luggage was a huge problem I read an article (can't remember where) that recommended taking photos so that the luggage could be more easily identified.  You know what the cases look like, airline personal don't so it's easier to have the photo for them.  I've been taking photos ever since. 

Thank you @mchell810 !  You're obviously ahead of us on that thought.  It does make perfect sense.   Photos have been taken. 😁

• Like 2