A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

I received a copy of the video of the Updates and Q & A for the 2024 World Cruise webinar I attended yesterday.  I'm going to try to share it for those interested.  I'm not sure it's going to work but here goes nothing....

https://vimeo.com/861408301/5b2ff100dd?share=copy

Please note that the audio does not begin right away.  Just hang tight.

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Of course you can pull it off!

Check out these guys.

Screenshot_20230906_151601_Google.thumb.jpg.93c9e43b40646cd491496d280c2ee995.jpg

Screenshot_20230906_151653_Google.thumb.jpg.516e47c026e58e7db6ca035cf3e17aa1.jpg

And Mr. Go Big or Go Home!

Screenshot_20230906_151740_Google.thumb.jpg.96769b39b85d62873410d2899ddabe7b.jpg

Thanks for that HPD. I Actually passed through near to Dholpur in January. That’s certainly a full bib of Pearls. Maybe I’ll start a trend, then again maybe not 😔

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Thanks for that HPD. I Actually passed through near to Dholpur in January. That’s certainly a full bib of Pearls. Maybe I’ll start a trend, then again maybe not 😔

Go on, I dare you.  Send us a photo of you from the Queens Grill on Cunard as proof.

Lola

• Like 1

Chef David Bilsland talked about some of the interesting things planned for the dining experience on the cruise.  He mentioned the Lunch and Learn which we have always enjoyed.  And he mentioned something he called pop-ups in La Dame.  This was new to me. I wasn't sure what a pop-up was.  We had good friends on the 2023 World Cruise and I asked for their input.  Apparently La Dame was being underused.  They introduced something resembling a mini S.A.L.T. Kitchen to be served in La Dame.  They had menus related to the area of the world the Shadow was sailing through.  There was no cost.  These regional menus were offered Monday to Friday. The traditional La Dame menu was available on Saturdays and Sundays.  They were very popular.  David Bilsland said they have 14 menus for the upcoming World Cruise.

David also mentioned that Anne-mari Cornelius would be onboard for a segment.  She was the executive chef on the 2016 World Cruise and she was excellent!  She has been taking a cooking course in Japan and she will apply her skills during the segment she will be on.

David also mentioned the cooking demonstrations which are always popular.  He also mentioned an Australian cheese tasting.  This would be new to us.

I am really looking forward to the culinary experience on the Shadow.

• Like 3

Now I promised another lot of possible private excursions for Newcastle Australia. This came about after I received an old photograph of myself in a plane in 1984. The plane is pictured in this first suggestion of a tour.

This is the plane and it is still flying.

Tiger-Moth-768x512-1.webp.3a83bd11e54c7aced5dfe8bc34bd156f.webp

And the web page is here with the desciption of the scenic flight.

https://rnac.com.au/joy-flights/

Although it is the Royal Newcastle Aero Club it is actually the western suburb of Maitland where it is.

The Hunter Valley is very scenic to fly over with the Hunter River, Lake Macquarie to the south, Port Stephens to the North and One of Australia's best wine regions to the west. Plus a stunning coast line.

So a couple more options.

https://huntervalleyscenicflights.com.au/

https://www.blueskyairways.com.au/scenic/

https://www.heliservices.com.au/flights/scenic-flights/

That last site has some stunning pictures. So posted just in case someone on the world cruise does like scenic flights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drron29 said:

Now I promised another lot of possible private excursions for Newcastle Australia. This came about after I received an old photograph of myself in a plane in 1984. The plane is pictured in this first suggestion of a tour.

This is the plane and it is still flying.

Tiger-Moth-768x512-1.webp.3a83bd11e54c7aced5dfe8bc34bd156f.webp

And the web page is here with the desciption of the scenic flight.

https://rnac.com.au/joy-flights/

Although it is the Royal Newcastle Aero Club it is actually the western suburb of Maitland where it is.

The Hunter Valley is very scenic to fly over with the Hunter River, Lake Macquarie to the south, Port Stephens to the North and One of Australia's best wine regions to the west. Plus a stunning coast line.

So a couple more options.

https://huntervalleyscenicflights.com.au/

https://www.blueskyairways.com.au/scenic/

https://www.heliservices.com.au/flights/scenic-flights/

That last site has some stunning pictures. So posted just in case someone on the world cruise does like scenic flights.

Thank you so much @drron29 !  Your suggestions are awesome!  Scenic flights are such a treat!  

• Like 1

That is fine, Davey - just wondered who you could shock and surprise most, and guessed it might be the possibly stuffy Queens Grill people.  We did one Celebrity cruise, years ago, and it seemed to have  a pleasantly European atmosphere, and actually one 'celebrity' onboard, Cilla Black with Bobby, on her first cruise!  Couldn't believe she would not be on someone's private yacht, rather than a fairly run of the mill line, albeit in the Owner's suite, with the champagne bucket always in evidence.  None of the Americans on board recognised her, which she I think found pleasing, and being Brits. we just said hello and smiled.  Lovely legs, and a much less strong Scouse accent in real life.

Sorry, Mysty, this should really be on the Cooler.  Slap hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, lincslady said:

That is fine, Davey - just wondered who you could shock and surprise most, and guessed it might be the possibly stuffy Queens Grill people.  We did one Celebrity cruise, years ago, and it seemed to have  a pleasantly European atmosphere, and actually one 'celebrity' onboard, Cilla Black with Bobby, on her first cruise!  Couldn't believe she would not be on someone's private yacht, rather than a fairly run of the mill line, albeit in the Owner's suite, with the champagne bucket always in evidence.  None of the Americans on board recognised her, which she I think found pleasing, and being Brits. we just said hello and smiled.  Lovely legs, and a much less strong Scouse accent in real life.

Sorry, Mysty, this should really be on the Cooler.  Slap hand.

Lola, with me as "author", there is bound to be a "Cooler" touch! 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mysty said:

Lola, with me as "author", there is bound to be a "Cooler" touch! 😅

You might be able to drag Mysty out of the Cooler, but you can't take the Cooler out of Mysty! 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

You might be able to drag Mysty out of the Cooler, but you can't take the Cooler out of Mysty! 

🤣  Apparently, for good or not-so-good, that is the case.  I cut my social media teeth in the Cooler!  I found my voice there!  The Mysty that now shows up is always the same Mysty.  😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, mysty said:

I cut my social media teeth in the Cooler!  I found my voice there!

Wait, I thought there was a fella from the UK who gave you a voice, or at least that’s what I remember him saying.  I think he was a baker or champagne drunkard.  Can’t remember for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Wait, I thought there was a fella from the UK who gave you a voice, or at least that’s what I remember him saying.  I think he was a baker or champagne drunkard.  Can’t remember for sure.

😅 Well, that is one person's claim for credit for my new-found voice.  However, when you feel welcome and safe and un-threatened it is definitely easier to speak up.  And that is the environment created by all your fellow posters!  😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Farewell dinner for the cruise will be held at the Vancouver Convention Centre in Vancouver.

vancouver-convention-centre.jpg.d407266e8d43b938698f89e17b1fdd9c.jpg

From Wikipedia:

"The Vancouver Convention Centre (formerly known as the Vancouver Convention & Exhibition Centre, or VCEC) is a convention centre in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada; it is one of Canada's largest convention centres. With the opening of the new West Building in 2009, it now has 43,340 square meters (466,500 sq ft) of meeting space.

The East Building is located in Canada Place, which it shares with a cruise ship terminal, and the Pan Pacific hotel. It has 12,400 m2 (133,000 sq ft) of space, including a 8,500 m2 (91,000 sq ft), column-free, dividable exhibition hall, 20 meeting rooms, and a ballroom.

The West Building is directly adjacent to Canada Place and consists of 110,000 m2 (1,200,000 sq ft) total interior space including 20,490 m2 (220,500 sq ft) of convention space, 8,400 m2 (90,000 sq ft) of retail space along a public waterfront promenade, and 450 parking stalls. Surrounding the building are 37,000 m2 (400,000 sq ft) of walkways, bikeways, public open space and plazas, for a total project area of 5.7 hectares (14 acres) of land and 3.2 hectares (8 acres) over water. "

This is the ballroom in the West Building with a view of the mountains...
ballrooms.jpg.d04e17d05b4cc7eeeee7576bfef60947.jpg

• Like 5

On 9/5/2023 at 11:46 PM, Stumblefoot said:

With all sincerity, what would you be overstepping if you said more than you did?  My ignorance is that I just don’t understand.

Your question has been buzzing around in my mind @Stumblefoot !  I have decided that I will post the things that I found interesting and I will post a warning "Potential Spoiler Alert" to give folks the option to read or pass.  Thank you for asking your question! 😁

• Like 3

Potential Spoiler Alert

One of the things we learned in the webinar is that we will be spending the night at the Sails in the Desert Hotel for the World Cruise event at Uluru.

https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/accommodation/sails-in-the-desert?utm_source=google-gbp&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gbp

ARRSID_PTY_EXT_ABruzzone_141.jpg.17109300cb13db9d5ac3eda752088722.jpg

And we will see the biggest drone show in the world.

https://www.australiantraveller.com/nt/red-centre/uluru/wintjiri-wiru-light-show/#:~:text=Not only is Wintjiri Wiru,at this scale and frequency.

"Not only is Wintjiri Wiru the world’s largest permanent drone show, with more than 1100 of the unmanned aerial vehicles taking flight, but it’s also the first time an Indigenous story has been told through lights, lasers, projection and drone technology at this scale and frequency.

Meaning a ‘beautiful view out to the horizon’, the idea of Wintjiri Wiru came when light artist Bruce Ramus, through his world-renowned studio RAMUS, proposed to tell the Mala story using this technology."

https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/wintjiri-wiru/story

"The Wintjiri Wiru story begins in the spiritual heart of Australia. Working in collaboration with a variety of stakeholders, including the Anangu Consultation Group, we have brought the ancient Mala Story of the Anangu to life with the use of ground-breaking technology to create an immersive cultural experience. "

The dinner will be curated by Mark Olive.

https://nit.com.au/01-08-2023/7009/indigenous-chef-mark-olive-opens-new-restaurant-at-sydney-opera-house

"Whilst it's not uncommon for celebrity chefs to break away from the spotlight and launch their own venture, celebrated chef and proud Bundjalung man Mark Olive – otherwise known as The Black Olive – did so not with the intention of profit, but passion.

Fast forward to July 2023, and Olive has launched his own Indigenous-inspired restaurant, Midden by Mark Olive. Located in Sydney's stunning Opera House, Midden is where culture and craft meet culinary creativity. Fusing his indigenous Australian heritage, with seasonal produce and local delicacies, Olive has ensured Midden is a reflection of both his culture and favourite cuisine."

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Potential Spoiler Alert

One of the things we learned in the webinar is that we will be spending the night at the Sails in the Desert Hotel for the World Cruise event at Uluru.

https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/accommodation/sails-in-the-desert?utm_source=google-gbp&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gbp

ARRSID_PTY_EXT_ABruzzone_141.jpg.17109300cb13db9d5ac3eda752088722.jpg

And we will see the biggest drone show in the world.

https://www.australiantraveller.com/nt/red-centre/uluru/wintjiri-wiru-light-show/#:~:text=Not only is Wintjiri Wiru,at this scale and frequency.

"Not only is Wintjiri Wiru the world’s largest permanent drone show, with more than 1100 of the unmanned aerial vehicles taking flight, but it’s also the first time an Indigenous story has been told through lights, lasers, projection and drone technology at this scale and frequency.

Meaning a ‘beautiful view out to the horizon’, the idea of Wintjiri Wiru came when light artist Bruce Ramus, through his world-renowned studio RAMUS, proposed to tell the Mala story using this technology."

https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/wintjiri-wiru/story

"The Wintjiri Wiru story begins in the spiritual heart of Australia. Working in collaboration with a variety of stakeholders, including the Anangu Consultation Group, we have brought the ancient Mala Story of the Anangu to life with the use of ground-breaking technology to create an immersive cultural experience. "

The dinner will be curated by Mark Olive.

https://nit.com.au/01-08-2023/7009/indigenous-chef-mark-olive-opens-new-restaurant-at-sydney-opera-house

"Whilst it's not uncommon for celebrity chefs to break away from the spotlight and launch their own venture, celebrated chef and proud Bundjalung man Mark Olive – otherwise known as The Black Olive – did so not with the intention of profit, but passion.

Fast forward to July 2023, and Olive has launched his own Indigenous-inspired restaurant, Midden by Mark Olive. Located in Sydney's stunning Opera House, Midden is where culture and craft meet culinary creativity. Fusing his indigenous Australian heritage, with seasonal produce and local delicacies, Olive has ensured Midden is a reflection of both his culture and favourite cuisine."

I’m really looking forward to seeing this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoGay said:

I’m really looking forward to seeing this.

35 minutes ago, lincslady said:

This sounds absolutely wonderful; Mysty.  Beyond what one might expect.

When I compare the events from the 2016 World Cruise to what is being offered for 2024,  I am blown away!  Silversea seems to be upping the ante!  It's definitely shaping up to be full of wonders!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mysty said:

When I compare the events from the 2016 World Cruise to what is being offered for 2024,  I am blown away!

Well, based on how they’ve upped the fares since 2016, I’d hope so!  😁

In regards to the hotel, it’s lovely.  But, do be prepared for the flies.  They were relentless from sunrise to sunset at the hotel.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Well, based on how they’ve upped the fares since 2016, I’d hope so!  😁

In regards to the hotel, it’s lovely.  But, do be prepared for the flies.  They were relentless from sunrise to sunset at the hotel.

Thank you @Stumblefoot ! We were in Uluru eons ago and we remember the insistent little pests.   Maybe Silversea will gift us with hats with bug shields! 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1