Questions about transfer from Trieste to airport in Venice

OleMissSamfordMom

We are about to book a cruise for next fall that disembarks in Trieste. For those who have done this, what is the quickest way to get to Venice to fly back to the US? Private transfer? Who would you recommend and how long is the ride? What is the approximate price? I'm a bit concerned because the ship docks at 8:00 AM but most of the flights I'm looking at all leave at about 1:15 PM...don't think we could possibly make this so maybe the best thing would be to stay overnight. Would prefer to leave that day due to husband wanting to get back to work. Thanks for any advice!

You'll need to be at the airport by 10:15 AM, it's unlikely that you can easily do that since arrival at 8:00 does not mean disembarking at 8:00.

A car service would be the fastest and most efficient route, it should take about an hour and three quarters, assuming no unusual traffic.  If you can't reasonably be on the road no later than 8:30 this won't work.

50 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

You'll need to be at the airport by 10:15 AM, it's unlikely that you can easily do that since arrival at 8:00 does not mean disembarking at 8:00.

A car service would be the fastest and most efficient route, it should take about an hour and three quarters, assuming no unusual traffic.  If you can't reasonably be on the road no later than 8:30 this won't work.

Thank you for this! Good to know.

I agree about contracting with a car service- there are several companies. Domenico is highly recommended. They can go to the airport or to Piazzale Roma in Venice should you choose to stay overnight. I do not know their rates as I've only reserved a large van (for 8 passengers). The company is very reliable, has great reviews and offers several types of vehicles.

https://www.venicegroupservices.it/en/trieste-cruise-port-transfer-service/

1 hour ago, JHLH821 said:

I agree about contracting with a car service- there are several companies. Domenico is highly recommended. They can go to the airport or to Piazzale Roma in Venice should you choose to stay overnight. I do not know their rates as I've only reserved a large van (for 8 passengers). The company is very reliable, has great reviews and offers several types of vehicles.

Thank you so much!

we were on an NCL cruise from Trieste this past Sept. 

The paperwork said we would return to Trieste at 8am but we arrived closer prior to 6am.   

I kept a copy of the disembark schedule: 

- 7am was the first departure group and it was for pax with flights prior to 1pm AND were booked on the NCL transfer to VCE. The buses loaded right there at the pier and went directly to the airport 

-  7:30 was for self assist pax

-  8am, pax with flights after 1pm and an NCL transfer to VCE.

I didn't want to end my vacation with a long flight home, so I had a relaxing day in Venice, stayed at an airport hotel, and flew out at 6:30am the next morning.

• Like 1

I had this dilemma for my upcoming Cruise in May.  I just panicked about getting to the airport in time using a transfer and booked a 7 pm flight back to Malaga.   Thinking about it I think it was a rubbish decision, but there were lunchtime flights and i hate worrying about missing my flight (even though it is only a 2 hour flight and both of us are retired so no worries about getting back to work).  I now have far too much time to get straight to the airport and not a lot of time to do anything significant  in Venice.

Given that DH moans when the flights are not direct, I doubt that I will choose another cruise departing from Venice!!

18 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

we were on an NCL cruise from Trieste this past Sept. 

The paperwork said we would return to Trieste at 8am but we arrived closer prior to 6am.   

I kept a copy of the disembark schedule: 

- 7am was the first departure group and it was for pax with flights prior to 1pm AND were booked on the NCL transfer to VCE. The buses loaded right there at the pier and went directly to the airport 

-  7:30 was for self assist pax

-  8am, pax with flights after 1pm and an NCL transfer to VCE.

I didn't want to end my vacation with a long flight home, so I had a relaxing day in Venice, stayed at an airport hotel, and flew out at 6:30am the next morning.

Thank you for all this info. Our cruise is an NCL (Oceania) one too and I thought it might possibly work just like you mentioned.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I had this dilemma for my upcoming Cruise in May.  I just panicked about getting to the airport in time using a transfer and booked a 7 pm flight back to Malaga.   Thinking about it I think it was a rubbish decision, but there were lunchtime flights and i hate worrying about missing my flight (even though it is only a 2 hour flight and both of us are retired so no worries about getting back to work).  I now have far too much time to get straight to the airport and not a lot of time to do anything significant  in Venice.

Given that DH moans when the flights are not direct, I doubt that I will choose another cruise departing from Venice!!

I hope it works out for you! Good luck!

I'll also mention that I took the train from Venice to Trieste, a 2 hr ride. (actually from Mestre to Trieste). I had read reports that some trains from Venice S Lucia were standing room only due to all the cruise pax, so I decided to leave from Mestre, and I chose a train that didn't stop in Venice first!  I got a Business Class seat for 18E, booked a month in advance.  It's about a 20 minute walk from the station to the cruise pier.

I didn't have a plan for my day after leaving the ship, therefore no travel reservations in place. In the end I took a FlixBus from the Trieste train station to VCE. Non stop, 2 hrs. The price was 25e, but if I had booked in advance it would have been 9e.

• Like 1

We are on NCL into Trieste in August. Ship is due to dock at 7, so with self assist we hope to debark by 730 or 8. Our flight is at 1 PM and we plan to book a private transport.  I know we can’t predict traffic and delays, but seeing like this should be doable.  Can we not self assist as early as possible or do they actually prevent you from leaving until a specific time?

On our cruise in Sept, pax using the NCL transfer for flights prior to 1pm were the first group off the ship, at 7am.  The next group was self assist at 7:30.  Pax with flights after 1pm left at 8am.

If I was in your shoes, I'd take the NCL transfer and say my flight was at 12:30pm. 

(it's only a 2hr drive to VCE) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 5:52 PM, JHLH821 said:

Thank you very much for this information. Looking for a way to get to the port in Trieste to Venice.