Is anyone sailing on the Paradise this month? Needing a current review.

BarbieGee

2 hours ago, Mic101680 said:

In the middle of a B2B on Paradise now. Food quality is okay to good. Nothing that will blow your mind though, with the exception of Chef's Table (which I highly recommend). Buffet has been better than the dining room (which has been very inconsistent plate to plate), but go-tos have been Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana tacos, pizza and the deli.  Some dishes in the buffet (particularly the desserts) have been dry and missing some flavors. Anything gelatin based has been like eating rubber, but other things are fine. There is a for fee sushi place, but I haven't tried that. Desserts in the coffee bar are pretty good, but are a small charge (around $3 each).

Smaller, older ship, but very clean. Agree with others that some spaces could be utilized better. Overall, I like it.

Mic101680 - Did you do the Chef's Table on the Paradise on this B2B? If so, can you share what the menu was? We are sailing on the 16th and are thinking about doing it again. We sailed this time last year and was wondering if it is the same menu. Also do you know if they brought back the actual kitchen tour? Thanks!

@barbiegee

We have sailed the Paradise more times than I care to admit, and have loved her every time. ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

I am hoping that the MDR will have prime rib!

Lobster is, I know, on the Steakhouse menu and I will order it one evening. I hope the size doesn't disappoint.

My past sailings always included a lobster night but these cut-backs have eliminated it for cruises less then 6 days.

CIMG0122.JPG

My son and I are on this same cruise. We are looking forward to it. I was n Paradise last March. It’s one of my favorite ships. It’s not as “Farcus” to me as the other ones in that class were. There are a lot of very elegant areas IMO. The cruise director isn’t my favorite but she does a good job with scheduling and activity planning. I’m a fan of trivia/games and comedy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

My son and I are on this same cruise. We are looking forward to it. I was n Paradise last March. It’s one of my favorite ships. It’s not as “Farcus” to me as the other ones in that class were. There are a lot of very elegant areas IMO. The cruise director isn’t my favorite but she does a good job with scheduling and activity planning. I’m a fan of trivia/games and comedy. 

Love that you've said 'elegant'... I've never been on the Paradise but I've sailed some older ships I would call 'elegant' and loved them.

Looking forward to this cruise and experiencing Carnival for the first time.

I believe there will be a different Cruise Director on this sailing. (via a review I saw on YouTube)

Just got off this ship.  As others have said it is an older ship, but kept clean.  The food in the dining room was good, but I thought guys just tasted like any other cheeseburger, but food is certainly subjective.  
     I had a nice enough time but my main complaint was in the lack of nighttime entertainment.  This was a 5 night, and there were only 2 nights of comedy and 1 show.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2023 at 4:44 PM, JKCamara said:

Mic101680 - Did you do the Chef's Table on the Paradise on this B2B? If so, can you share what the menu was? We are sailing on the 16th and are thinking about doing it again. We sailed this time last year and was wondering if it is the same menu. Also do you know if they brought back the actual kitchen tour? Thanks!

Yes, we did the Chef's Table on the last night of a 5 night cruise (so would hace been on 1/18). We had a short kitchen tour, as well as a cooking demo from the pastry chef.

The only courses I didn't like were the mushroom domes (not listed as it was an extra course added by the chef), and everything on the lamb course - but keep in mind I don't care for mushrooms and absolutely hate lamb anyway. Everything else was fantastic! Menu attached 😊

20230121_150529.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 1/20/2023 at 1:46 PM, BarbieGee said:

I am hoping that the MDR will have prime rib!

Lobster is, I know, on the Steakhouse menu and I will order it one evening. I hope the size doesn't disappoint.

My past sailings always included a lobster night but these cut-backs have eliminated it for cruises less then 6 days.

CIMG0122.JPG

There is prime rib on one evening both in the dining room and on the buffet. Quality/cook seems to be a bit inconsistent.

Keep in mind there is no steakhouse on board, but they do have a 'steakhouse selection' portion of the menu that has a filet mignon and lobster tail meal for $23. 

Screenshot_20230121_151959_Carnival HUB.jpg

• Thanks 1

I’m happy to read all these comments. Paradise was my very first cruise way back in 2002…..and I’m booked on her for a B2B in 2024.  I hope more folks chime in with comments…I’m really looking forward to sailing on her again!  😊

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 2:54 PM, Sunandslots said:

Just got off this ship.  As others have said it is an older ship, but kept clean.  The food in the dining room was good, but I thought guys just tasted like any other cheeseburger, but food is certainly subjective.  
     I had a nice enough time but my main complaint was in the lack of nighttime entertainment.  This was a 5 night, and there were only 2 nights of comedy and 1 show.  

Oh no. Two nights of comedy is no good. That’s our favorite activity. It’s honestly a big reason we sail on Carnival.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:34 PM, momof3cruisers said:

Oh no. Two nights of comedy is no good. That’s our favorite activity. It’s honestly a big reason we sail on Carnival.

We had at least 2 comedy shows scheduled every evening for both the 5 night and 4 night cruises. Most nights there were 4, with the "PG" shows earlier in the evening.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 3:03 PM, eltigre said:

Any Happy Hour Specials? With no Red Frog sail away pitchers I was wondering if there were any specials anywhere else for those without drink packages.

I didn't really see any, but I also wasn't looking. I know Red frog had a drink of the day which was $1-2 off the regular price. And Blue Iguana has the margarita pitchers, which come out cheaper per serving that buying the same amount one at a time.

• Thanks 1

We were on Paradise in November. 

We were pleasantly surprised by the overall condition of the ship. She was in better shape than the Sunshine, and on par with what I've seen over the past year for other "mid-life" Carnival Ships, such as the Legend and Sunrise. Carnival seems to have improved their upkeep of public spaces since the restart. Yes, it will still have a very "90s" look, but we didn't see worn furniture, broken plumbing fixtures, missing tile/trim, etc., which seemed to be common-place on the Fantasy class ships a few years ago. 

We had an oceanview cabin and the room felt very much like the updated cabins on other Fantasy class ships. The only things that really felt like they needed to be updated or repaired were the sink, which had chipped porcelain, and the cheap shower curtain. 

Due to a technical difficulty, we only got to see one of the Playlist Productions shows; the other was replaced with a "concert version" with the singers and dancers sitting on stools in front of the curtain, singing the soundtrack to the show. This was a bit disappointing. I will say, after sailing on the Celebration a few weeks ago, we still prefer the older Carnival theaters such as those on the Paradise vs. the newer Liquid Lounge found on the Vista class, or worse, the cramped new theaters with no beverage/bar service on the Mardi Gras and Celebration. 

We did notice that the quality of food offerings in both the dining room, and to a lesser extent on the Lido Deck, continues to decline. Our MDR meals were consistently below average, and some of the changes on Lido, such as the switch from fresh cut to frozen fries at Guy's Burger Joint, are examples of declines in the dining experience across Carnival as a whole. So long as you go in with moderate expectations, you won't go hungry, but dining definitely isn't the highlight that it used to be. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, brilliantseas said:

We were on Paradise in November. 

We were pleasantly surprised by the overall condition of the ship. She was in better shape than the Sunshine, and on par with what I've seen over the past year for other "mid-life" Carnival Ships, such as the Legend and Sunrise. Carnival seems to have improved their upkeep of public spaces since the restart. Yes, it will still have a very "90s" look, but we didn't see worn furniture, broken plumbing fixtures, missing tile/trim, etc., which seemed to be common-place on the Fantasy class ships a few years ago. 

We had an oceanview cabin and the room felt very much like the updated cabins on other Fantasy class ships. The only things that really felt like they needed to be updated or repaired were the sink, which had chipped porcelain, and the cheap shower curtain. 

Due to a technical difficulty, we only got to see one of the Playlist Productions shows; the other was replaced with a "concert version" with the singers and dancers sitting on stools in front of the curtain, singing the soundtrack to the show. This was a bit disappointing. I will say, after sailing on the Celebration a few weeks ago, we still prefer the older Carnival theaters such as those on the Paradise vs. the newer Liquid Lounge found on the Vista class, or worse, the cramped new theaters with no beverage/bar service on the Mardi Gras and Celebration. 

We did notice that the quality of food offerings in both the dining room, and to a lesser extent on the Lido Deck, continues to decline. Our MDR meals were consistently below average, and some of the changes on Lido, such as the switch from fresh cut to frozen fries at Guy's Burger Joint, are examples of declines in the dining experience across Carnival as a whole. So long as you go in with moderate expectations, you won't go hungry, but dining definitely isn't the highlight that it used to be. 

This was a very informative review and THANKS!

Your observations of the furniture and decor are much needed in reviews. (I wish the shower curtain would be replaced with a door. Or a new shower curtain with each turnover of the cabin. Moldy curtain hems are an issue)

You mention that your sailing was in November. I've noticed other reviews of the food have given a higher evaluation so it would seem that complaints such as yours have been heard. Good quality food is an integral part of a cruise for most people and if Carnival wishes to survive and flourish then food quality is a must. Portions are smaller and I agree with that; less food waste is now under better control. (now if only there is a way to control the food abuse at buffets! )

Thanks again for your fine contribution to this topic.

If first time out of Tampa....try to make it to top deck (front) around 6:30-7pm when approaching and going under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.  Usually a great Sunset picture approaching the bridge and then a 'tight-squeeze' below the bridge makes it interesting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ElGatoUSF said:

If first time out of Tampa....try to make it to top deck (front) around 6:30-7pm when approaching and going under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.  Usually a great Sunset picture approaching the bridge and then a 'tight-squeeze' below the bridge makes it interesting.

I will do that! Seven days till we sail. Looking forward to it. 🥰

• Like 1