Sleeping in non-assigned room question

ski_mom

We are looking at booking a cruise on Discovery Princess this summer.  One in our party uses a scooter, so we need a handicap room.  The only handicap balcony they have said is available is C433 on deck 10, so we are trying to plan our other rooms around it.  It is a mini-suite that can sleep up to 4.

We have a party of 10 - 

"grandma"

Sister 1, husband and 2 kids (18 & 14)

me, husband and 3 kids (26, 25, 21)

Sleeping arrangements will (most likely) be as follows:

cabin 1 (handicap cabin): grandma, sister 1 and 14 yo 

cabin 2:  husband 1 and 18 yo

cabin 3:  my 3 kids

cabin 4:  me and my husband

So my question is, in order to keep cabin 2 near cabin 1, the only balcony available holds 3 people and it will not let me book it for 2.

Would there be a problem booking the rooms as:

cabin 1:  grandma, sister 1

cabin 2:  husband 1 with 18 and 14 yo daughters

and then have 14 year old sleep in cabin 1?

I don't see why it would be a problem, but want to make sure before booking.

Thanks!

My experience on the last cruise was that I booked a cabin for myself and daughter 19 years of age. That was everyone who was sailing.  Nearer to sailing date, Can my boyfriend come with us? If he books a cabin for himself!  Do I need to be booked in with him? No because you are already sailing.  He will need to book a cabin and pay a single supplement.  So we are now all booked in.  They deliver luggage to whichever tag you put on cases otherwise you schlepp them about. You all know what your own cases look like. When we get on board I explain to my steward I'm on my own in my mini-suite daughter is with boyfriend now at other end of ship. Then we explain to boyfriend's steward that daughter is staying  in boyfriend's cabin.  There are two basic issues that are outstanding. Firstly they have only one door key (the medallion) but they stick together to access their cabin and they have a key to my room. I am not worried about this.  Secondly expenses are charged the the credit card associated with the medallion used on each purchase. Nobody on board looks into auditing who is where unless you play the drums at night etc.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ski_mom said:

So my question is, in order to keep cabin 2 near cabin 1, the only balcony available holds 3 people and it will not let me book it for 2.

Have you, or your travel agent, or your Princess PVP, tried booking three people in the room you want, then move the third person out of that room in the future and into the room where you want them to sleep? In that way, the medallion will match the person to the room when you are on the ship.

Are you kids old enough to be booked in a cabin by themselves?  I don't know what the policy is, but worth checking in to.  I am surprised you can't book a 3 person cabin for two.  I have often been in a quad with 2 people and those "awful" side bunks.  

Hi @john watson, in the past before ‘medallion’, you could get a ‘pass key’ cruise card from guest services, now you just ask them to allow your medallion to ‘access’ another cabin, it will not have charging privileges. Of course you need the occupants of the cabin to be there to confirm permission or parents, etc. 

This would have saved having to always stick together.

Check to see if the rooms are connected. That would solve the problem, and I would not be too surprised if the handicapped room connected to the next one. 

(I tried to check, but my internet connection is having issues today - or Princess is !)